Do cats connect more with their own breed?

pixelkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have 2 furbabies. Misty, a 7 year old siamese, and Alexis , a 9 year old Persian/Scottish Fold. They are pretty close in age but they don't seem to be very close.. otherwise. I've been browsing the threads and looking at pictures of all of your beautiful babies and noticed a lot of them being really snuggly and affectionate with each other.

Misty is a very affectionate and needy cat but Alexis seems to be very solitary. My question is.. Do cats do better around other cats of their same breed? Like.. if i was to get another Siamese.. would Misty possibly bond with it?

Do you think Misty might get depressed when she's home alone with Alexis, since Alexis isn't very affectionate or interested in Misty?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats you have are very different personality types and activity levels - generally speaking cats get along best with those with similar personality and need for play. In my experience Siamese/Orientals do tend to get along best with others of the same breed.

My original 2 cats, a Cornish Rex x Moggy cross and an Oriental got along OK, then I added another young adult Oriental and within 24 hours of meeting the 2 Oris had decided that they were the best of friends, sleeping in a tangle of legs and grooming each other. Great for them, but the moggie has now been completely sidelined and is scared of the dominant new arrival and has gone from relatively equal dominance position to bottom of the pecking order.

If you want to get another Siamese pal for Misty, then do put some thought into how it may affect Alexis too. And the new one may not bond with Misty either, older females tend to be more defensive of their territorial rights - getting another of the same breed is no guarantee of friendship, but a male would be less of a threat to her status.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixelkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks so much for replying.

I'm really on the fence about getting another cat. Everyone in my family believes in the "Two Cat Balance" .. and keep telling me if I was to get another cat.. It's pretty much freak out my current girls.

My only real concern is Misty, I know that sounds mean but Alexis is a very happy-go-lucky "If you need me, I'll be in the closet" kind of cat. While whenever I'm at home Misty is ALWAYS within 3 feet of me if not on my lap at the computer, watching me program. And when I start working more she'll be alone more.. and she's developing a very odd relationship with a cat feather teaser. She drags it onto my bed as if it were prey then purrs and kneads the bed while holding it in her mouth. And she only does this when I'm either asleep or away from home.

As far as another cat. I guess all I can really do is cross that bridge when I come to it and hope that another Siamese might be the answer if Misty's behavior becomes either more worrisome or erratic.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i think it's really more of a purrsonality thing....
i currently have 5. Pixel will snuggle with anyone - she's not choosy.
Cable will only snuggle with Pixel.
Firefox seems to prefer either Pixel or Chip.
Java's not interested in snuggling w/anyone except me.
Chip is not adverse to anyone, but Firefox chooses him more than anyone else does.
all are DSH, so who knows what combos are there... i will say that Java has a very 'oriental' look about her, tho.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in a very similar situation and I wonder the same thing. I adopted kismet and cello together when they were 7. they HAD to go together, were 'bonded' and had been together their whole lives......... well they barely tolerate eachother really. they never cuddle and rarely even sleep on the same piece of furniture. Cello is a siamese and kismet is a DSH and their personalities couldn't be more different, partial because of the breed

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you see a lot of pictures of cats cuddling together and licking each other and all that one this website because we humans think it's great and cute and take pictures of that behavior and upload those images!

My cats are very friendly with each other, but my mothers' cats simply tolerate each other.

Either way can be a good life for a cat, I think. As long as they are healthy and have something or someone to play with sometimes, most cats can find a way to enjoy life.

Athena is usually less than 3 feet from me when I'm home, and she does have her sister to be all friendly and cuddly with all day. Athena is simply friendly; I don't think her particular "neediness" is indicative of any problems, and it sounds like you only fear that your cat's neediness is indicative of problems because you've seen too many cute pictures here.

Misty sounds happy!

On the other hand, I'd keep a cat feather teaser and any other toys that could be swallowing hazards out of the cat's reach when you're not home and able to pay attention.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese do tend to thrive in groups in my personal experience.I have owned Siamese for over 30 years. And they really tend to bond..

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

The cats you have are very different personality types and activity levels - generally speaking cats get along best with those with similar personality and need for play
My high energy Ocicats used to live with 7 moggies, but preferred each others company. Mine would play with the other cats but they all got tired long before my cats and would go take a nap while mine kept on playing.

Originally Posted by pixelkat

Do you think Misty might get depressed when she's home alone with Alexis, since Alexis isn't very affectionate or interested in Misty?
You're girls are older so may be used to their situation, but I can tell you when I just had Demetri (living with the moggies, not an only cat) he'd get bored because they wouldn't play as much. Once I brought in the other 2 he was much happier.
He was only 9 months old when the others came though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been checking all the pictures on this forum (or stories). But isn't it generally boys or boys and girls that form the cuddly close bonds? And girls that are friendly, friendly indifferent, or totally hate each other?

Personalities and energy level makes more sense than cats actually being able to identify breeds.
That said my boys do have different personalities and energy levels - though they are the same pattern and both DSH.
They get along well, but that's because my big cat Sho is what I refer to as a social cat - he would accept nearly anyone and is rather motherly.

After all, if breed truly mattered how would one explain the cats that love their dogs or even their bonds with us?

lmunsie - Maybe that is "bonded" as far as your two go. If one is gone to the vet does the other look around for the missing cat?

pixelkat - Can you find another toy for Misty that has feathers on it or make one? Preferably smaller feathers that are undyed? This way she can have a feathery toy without any danger.