Older cat hates new kitty, HELP!

katnip_ct

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because we recently had to have our mini dachshund put down and our 7 year old cat seemed to miss him. We got a new kitten (12 weeks old) to help her & us (we thought). We have kept the kitten in a seperate bedroom during the day while we are at work and actually had her in a crate in the living room for the first few days even when we were home. We were keeping her in her crate at night. Now, when we're home, we let her have the run of the house, at any rate.... it's been just about 2 weeks and our older cat "Sissy" is still growling, spitting and "attacking" little "Squeak". The kitten is not very agressive toward the cat so most times the attacks seem unprovoked. Could be these "attacks" look worse than they are since the kitten doesn't cry or have any injuries from them? I've read that it can take some time for them to get along, but it's kind of scary and my husband and I are always on guard. Do you think they'll ever get along? Is there anything we can do to help??

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katnip_ct

Could be these "attacks" look worse than they are since the kitten doesn't cry or have any injuries from them?
It doesn't sound like Sissy hates Squeak but she is still wary of the newcomer. There are stickies on this forum on cat introductions which you may want to check out. But to me it looks like you are doing fine so far.