TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › This may help some of you with movie decisions...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This may help some of you with movie decisions...

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Because this is TCS, and it's all about animal welfare I stumbled upon this website today doing some film research.

I know that some have asked me if any animals were hurt during a film production. This website should help with that information. They are the people who put the "No Animals Were Harmed" at the end of the movies.


http://www.americanhumane.org/site/P...a_film_reviews
post #2 of 17
That is a great link, thanks! I noticed Cannibal Holocaust on there- when I was in high school I accidentally watched part of this movie. It's an old, 70's Italian horror film that involves actual animal mutilation. The only thing that made me feel remotely better about this film was listening to an interview with one of the stars, John Morgan (sp?), who instead of stabbing an animal, stabbed the hand of the crew member who was trying to make him do it. There was a rash of these movies in the 70s- especially out of Italy. It's nuts.
post #3 of 17
thank's for the great link!
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esrgirl View Post
That is a great link, thanks! I noticed Cannibal Holocaust on there- when I was in high school I accidentally watched part of this movie. It's an old, 70's Italian horror film that involves actual animal mutilation. The only thing that made me feel remotely better about this film was listening to an interview with one of the stars, John Morgan (sp?), who instead of stabbing an animal, stabbed the hand of the crew member who was trying to make him do it. There was a rash of these movies in the 70s- especially out of Italy. It's nuts.
I flat out refuse to do a review of that film just for that reason. Most of the 1970's horror movies that came out of Italy are graphic; this one crosses the line.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I flat out refuse to do a review of that film just for that reason. Most of the 1970's horror movies that came out of Italy are graphic; this one crosses the line.
I've always been bothered by the fact that I saw this movie called Faces of Death back in the early 80s and the scene with the monkey--I won't even go into it, because it was one of the sickest things I've ever seen. About a year ago, still haunted by the images I saw, I read on the Internet that this entire scene was faked, they were all actors, etc.
Do you know if this is true? From what I remember of it, it didn't look fake to me. All I know is it was in another country,but it looked like AMERICANS sitting at the restaurant table.
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by menasmom View Post
I've always been bothered by the fact that I saw this movie called Faces of Death back in the early 80s and the scene with the monkey--I won't even go into it, because it was one of the sickest things I've ever seen. About a year ago, still haunted by the images I saw, I read on the Internet that this entire scene was faked, they were all actors, etc.
Do you know if this is true? From what I remember of it, it didn't look fake to me. All I know is it was in another country,but it looked like AMERICANS sitting at the restaurant table.
I think I've seen that FOD, and I know the scene you are talking about. I'll pop online at home tonight and do a little more research.

UPDATE: It's fake. The guy who created the series also worked on Knight Rider. So when you think of Kit think of that.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/102600/W...ask_from.shtml
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/E-..._of_death.html
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I think I've seen that FOD, and I know the scene you are talking about. I'll pop online at home tonight and do a little more research.
Yeah, if you saw it, you'd never forget it. I think I Googled "Faces of Death Monkey Scene" or something where I read it was all staged, which is hard for me to believe, but I hope to God it was, because I wanted to find out who that couple was sitting at the table...
post #8 of 17
good god! i just did a search on this, i was nearly sick! they actually have that scene to watch. i know it's fake, but my heart goe's out to that monkey! how such thing's can be made up is beyond me!
post #9 of 17
I found the AHA website last year when I was curious about a few scenes in the movie Eight Below, and their descriptions of animals scenes in movies are very detailed describing how they were done to keep the animals safe.

Did anyone see their information on the deaths while filming Snow Buddies? I am definitely not watching that one (not that it's my kind of movie anyway!)
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax View Post
good god! i just did a search on this, i was nearly sick! they actually have that scene to watch. i know it's fake, but my heart goe's out to that monkey! how such thing's can be made up is beyond me!
Are you kidding me? I'd NEVER watch that scene again, even though they claim it was fake. I couldn't bear to see it. It breaks my heart to even think of the look on that poor animal's face.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by menasmom View Post
Yeah, if you saw it, you'd never forget it. I think I Googled "Faces of Death Monkey Scene" or something where I read it was all staged, which is hard for me to believe, but I hope to God it was, because I wanted to find out who that couple was sitting at the table...
From what I can remember it was really graphic. Just remember it was a series created to shock and horrify people, and to be quite honest some of the best special effects people that are working now started in FOD. Just think of that the next time you see some really good monster make up, and remember that it's all fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax View Post
good god! i just did a search on this, i was nearly sick! they actually have that scene to watch. i know it's fake, but my heart goe's out to that monkey! how such thing's can be made up is beyond me!
Yeah, FOD isn't for a main stream audience by any stretch of the imagination. However, we did break down several scenes in it in a Special Effects class I took, and these films rather unique because they had zero budget, and they look very real. I don't do write ups about them simply because they aren't "movies" they are scenes strung together.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by menasmom View Post
Are you kidding me? I'd NEVER watch that scene again, even though they claim it was fake. I couldn't bear to see it. It breaks my heart to even think of the look on that poor animal's face.
i've never even heard of it until mentioned on here. i'll never be watching it again, simply for the reason's you just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
Yeah, FOD isn't for a main stream audience by any stretch of the imagination. However, we did break down several scenes in it in a Special Effects class I took, and these films rather unique because they had zero budget, and they look very real. I don't do write ups about them simply because they aren't "movies" they are scenes strung together.
i thought i'd seen worse until i watched that.
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax View Post


i've never even heard of it until mentioned on here. i'll never be watching it again, simply for the reason's you just said.



i thought i'd seen worse until i watched that.
I would never ever recommend a person see these simply because of the content. The series over all is just a trashy sub-genera at the lowest end of the horror spectrum. The only reason I've seen them is because of class work I've done with movies, and when we watched them we were allowed to leave if it got to be too much. Dissecting FOD was fun, because it took all that fear and anger I had and made it all go away.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I would never ever recommend a person see these simply because of the content. The series over all is just a trashy sub-genera at the lowest end of the horror spectrum. The only reason I've seen them is because of class work I've done with movies, and when we watched them we were allowed to leave if it got to be too much. Dissecting FOD was fun, because it took all that fear and anger I had and made it all go away.
i bet it did. i still think it's sick how people, can even come up with storyline's like that.
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I would never ever recommend a person see these simply because of the content. The series over all is just a trashy sub-genera at the lowest end of the horror spectrum. The only reason I've seen them is because of class work I've done with movies, and when we watched them we were allowed to leave if it got to be too much. Dissecting FOD was fun, because it took all that fear and anger I had and made it all go away.
Do you work in the motion picture industry?
post #16 of 17
I notice they didn't have "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" on there. I loved that movie when I first watched it, then I heard a bunch of kitties died during filming, so decided I hated it, and never watched it again. I don't know if it's true or not.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I notice they didn't have "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" on there. I loved that movie when I first watched it, then I heard a bunch of kitties died during filming, so decided I hated it, and never watched it again. I don't know if it's true or not.
I always wondered about that movie, too, and how they shot some of those scenes. I mean, going down a river can NOT be a good experience for a cat (am I remembering correctly?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › This may help some of you with movie decisions...