This may help some of you with movie decisions...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because this is TCS, and it's all about animal welfare I stumbled upon this website today doing some film research.

I know that some have asked me if any animals were hurt during a film production. This website should help with that information. They are the people who put the "No Animals Were Harmed" at the end of the movies.

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/P...a_film_reviews

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a great link, thanks! I noticed Cannibal Holocaust on there- when I was in high school I accidentally watched part of this movie. It's an old, 70's Italian horror film that involves actual animal mutilation. The only thing that made me feel remotely better about this film was listening to an interview with one of the stars, John Morgan (sp?), who instead of stabbing an animal, stabbed the hand of the crew member who was trying to make him do it. There was a rash of these movies in the 70s- especially out of Italy. It's nuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

That is a great link, thanks! I noticed Cannibal Holocaust on there- when I was in high school I accidentally watched part of this movie. It's an old, 70's Italian horror film that involves actual animal mutilation. The only thing that made me feel remotely better about this film was listening to an interview with one of the stars, John Morgan (sp?), who instead of stabbing an animal, stabbed the hand of the crew member who was trying to make him do it. There was a rash of these movies in the 70s- especially out of Italy. It's nuts.
I flat out refuse to do a review of that film just for that reason. Most of the 1970's horror movies that came out of Italy are graphic; this one crosses the line.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I flat out refuse to do a review of that film just for that reason. Most of the 1970's horror movies that came out of Italy are graphic; this one crosses the line.
I've always been bothered by the fact that I saw this movie called Faces of Death back in the early 80s and the scene with the monkey--I won't even go into it, because it was one of the sickest things I've ever seen. About a year ago, still haunted by the images I saw, I read on the Internet that this entire scene was faked, they were all actors, etc.
Do you know if this is true? From what I remember of it, it didn't look fake to me. All I know is it was in another country,but it looked like AMERICANS sitting at the restaurant table.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

I've always been bothered by the fact that I saw this movie called Faces of Death back in the early 80s and the scene with the monkey--I won't even go into it, because it was one of the sickest things I've ever seen. About a year ago, still haunted by the images I saw, I read on the Internet that this entire scene was faked, they were all actors, etc.
Do you know if this is true? From what I remember of it, it didn't look fake to me. All I know is it was in another country,but it looked like AMERICANS sitting at the restaurant table.
I think I've seen that FOD, and I know the scene you are talking about. I'll pop online at home tonight and do a little more research.

UPDATE: It's fake. The guy who created the series also worked on Knight Rider. So when you think of Kit think of that.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/102600/W...ask_from.shtml
http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/E-..._of_death.html

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think I've seen that FOD, and I know the scene you are talking about. I'll pop online at home tonight and do a little more research.
Yeah, if you saw it, you'd never forget it. I think I Googled "Faces of Death Monkey Scene" or something where I read it was all staged, which is hard for me to believe, but I hope to God it was, because I wanted to find out who that couple was sitting at the table...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good god! i just did a search on this, i was nearly sick! they actually have that scene to watch. i know it's fake, but my heart goe's out to that monkey! how such thing's can be made up is beyond me!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the AHA website last year when I was curious about a few scenes in the movie Eight Below, and their descriptions of animals scenes in movies are very detailed describing how they were done to keep the animals safe.

Did anyone see their information on the deaths while filming Snow Buddies? I am definitely not watching that one (not that it's my kind of movie anyway!)

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

good god! i just did a search on this, i was nearly sick! they actually have that scene to watch. i know it's fake, but my heart goe's out to that monkey! how such thing's can be made up is beyond me!
Are you kidding me? I'd NEVER watch that scene again, even though they claim it was fake. I couldn't bear to see it. It breaks my heart to even think of the look on that poor animal's face.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, if you saw it, you'd never forget it. I think I Googled "Faces of Death Monkey Scene" or something where I read it was all staged, which is hard for me to believe, but I hope to God it was, because I wanted to find out who that couple was sitting at the table...
From what I can remember it was really graphic. Just remember it was a series created to shock and horrify people, and to be quite honest some of the best special effects people that are working now started in FOD. Just think of that the next time you see some really good monster make up, and remember that it's all fake.

Yeah, FOD isn't for a main stream audience by any stretch of the imagination. However, we did break down several scenes in it in a Special Effects class I took, and these films rather unique because they had zero budget, and they look very real. I don't do write ups about them simply because they aren't "movies" they are scenes strung together.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Are you kidding me? I'd NEVER watch that scene again, even though they claim it was fake. I couldn't bear to see it. It breaks my heart to even think of the look on that poor animal's face.
i've never even heard of it until mentioned on here. i'll never be watching it again, simply for the reason's you just said.

Yeah, FOD isn't for a main stream audience by any stretch of the imagination. However, we did break down several scenes in it in a Special Effects class I took, and these films rather unique because they had zero budget, and they look very real. I don't do write ups about them simply because they aren't "movies" they are scenes strung together.
i thought i'd seen worse until i watched that.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i've never even heard of it until mentioned on here. i'll never be watching it again, simply for the reason's you just said.

i thought i'd seen worse until i watched that.
I would never ever recommend a person see these simply because of the content. The series over all is just a trashy sub-genera at the lowest end of the horror spectrum. The only reason I've seen them is because of class work I've done with movies, and when we watched them we were allowed to leave if it got to be too much. Dissecting FOD was fun, because it took all that fear and anger I had and made it all go away.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would never ever recommend a person see these simply because of the content. The series over all is just a trashy sub-genera at the lowest end of the horror spectrum. The only reason I've seen them is because of class work I've done with movies, and when we watched them we were allowed to leave if it got to be too much. Dissecting FOD was fun, because it took all that fear and anger I had and made it all go away.
i bet it did. i still think it's sick how people, can even come up with storyline's like that.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Do you work in the motion picture industry?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I notice they didn't have "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" on there. I loved that movie when I first watched it, then I heard a bunch of kitties died during filming, so decided I hated it, and never watched it again. I don't know if it's true or not.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I notice they didn't have "The Adventures of Milo and Otis" on there. I loved that movie when I first watched it, then I heard a bunch of kitties died during filming, so decided I hated it, and never watched it again. I don't know if it's true or not.
I always wondered about that movie, too, and how they shot some of those scenes. I mean, going down a river can NOT be a good experience for a cat (am I remembering correctly?)