Storing wet food

mdgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long can you store opened wet food? I'm trying to get my 2 cats off Fancy Feast and have been mixing it with better wet food. At most, I can do a 50/50 mix. Any more and they turn their noses up at it. Hopefully that will change soon.

Right now I wrap the opened cans in plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. The FF cans get used within 1 day (2 servings) but the larger 5.5 oz cans I keep for 2 days (4 servings). Is this ok to store like this?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't see why not. You can store human food that long.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I occasionally do the same thing you're doing, with the 50-50 mix using 5.5 ounce cans, for a period of 3-4 days. My cat doesn't seem to know (or care) that the can has been opened for that long. If the 5.5 ounce can is "standard" size, then I use appropriately-sized plastic lids instead of plastic wrap. Much easier, and I think the lids provide a better seal. For "nonstandard" large cans (e.g., Fromm's, Solid Gold Blended Tuna) for which I don't have lids, I'll use plastic wrap and I'll also put the can inside a zip-top bag.

I'm sure it's fine, especially since in your case it's only for 2 days.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick question from an unexperienced wet food meowmy. When you take the cat food out of the fridge, do you feed it to them right away or do you have to let it sit out and return to room temp? I would think cats would hate wet food so cold. I'm getting a new kitten soon so I will have to start feeding wet for the first time and just need some clarification. Thanks!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

Quick question from an unexperienced wet food meowmy. When you take the cat food out of the fridge, do you feed it to them right away or do you have to let it sit out and return to room temp? I would think cats would hate wet food so cold. I'm getting a new kitten soon so I will have to start feeding wet for the first time and just need some clarification. Thanks!
I think that will depend on the cat so you'd need to do a trial and error test. I've heated in the microwave, have used hot water to warm the food up a bit and make more gravy and have also just given it cold. With our cats it doesn't seem to matter to them as long as it's food.

I don't like to use the microwave - it's too easy to get the food overheated.

terryseal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

I zap the portion I spoon out in the microwave for about 10-14 seconds. Gets it warm (or parts of it) but not hot. Then I try to mix it around so that it is more uniformly warm... as parts can, indeed, get too hot at times.

-Terry

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Terry and Yosemite!
I'll try cold first and move to one of the heating methods if she refuses to eat it cold.