softpaws are a challenge

ekekekek07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi. the softpaws wouldn't come off, so i clipped the top and peeled them off. it did not bother angus at all. i was very careful and it took about ten minutes. the adhesive was dry and crackly, but for some reason they wouldn't pop off easily. i had to get them off b/c the nails were getting too long and he was getting them caught in rugs and blankets. and, i clipped off the tip a few days, and a bit of nail was exposed. he didn't give me any fuss when i clipped the softpaws and his nails. i filled the new softpaws with glue and set up a nice little system on my bed. i wrapped him tight and began to slide them on. i got the first paw done and noticed that one fell off before i even released him. i held him for five minutes and let him go. he chewed his toes and then five came off. i replaced a few. they came off. i didn't want to stress him, so i let him be. he bit at his feet for a few hours!! it made me so sad. i tried to redirect his behavior by grooming him and playing with him, but he wasn't interested. and he didn't want to sleep on the bed with me he finally jumped on me and seemed more content i know it's weird, but i thought he was mad at me. lol
any tips? I'd like to try again tonight, but i'd prefer to be a quicker process. i'm not terribly worried about the scratching, but i live in a complex that requires declawing. i refuse and they aren't pressing it, but i have to cover my butt!!

ps- softpaws are a VERY good product that i highly recommend, i'm just having difficulty with the application process.

sammiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never removed them. Getting them caught seemed eventually to remove them. Next, trim the nails back and reapply. What I did find was that there is never enough glue supplied and it dries out, no matter what you do. They should include like 3 containers of glue with each set.

Eventually, I no longer needed to use the Soft Paws. Sammie adjusted to scratching only certain places and to having her nails trimmed about once a week.

Hang in there. Sometimes it is difficult and yes, I had a number of them pop off.

Proud of you for sticking to your guns regarding declawing.

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ll never understand why so many people in USA use such soft paws! Are your cats different? Cats scratch, thats a fact, but is it so dangerous? So uncomfortable? So badly needed to cover the claws?

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The original poster is putting soft paws on because the landlord requires de-clawing on cats, and soft paws are a compromise. Putting the soft paws on, in this case, is for the landlord, not the original poster's safety or furniture.

I moved into a new apartment. Although the only furniture I moved across the country was the cat scratching post, my cats still damaged door jams and carpet (the carpet because my spouse accidentally trapped one of the cats in a closet for a few hours) by scratching them. There are real reasons that land-lords want to prevent claw damage to their property, and soft paws are an excellent solution to that problem.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to use them on my new kitten until she learns where to scratch and where not. Then I won't be using them anymore. I have a brand new leather couch and ottoman so there is no way I'm going to trust the kitten around it with bare claws, at least not until she is trained to use her scratching posts.

I'm also putting them on her for a while since my older cat is declawed and I don't want her to feel threatened by a swatting kitten. Once I see that they can play nicely it won't be an issue, but I want to make the transition of adding a second cat as easy as possible for her.

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the main problems are (some) landlords who are worried about their furnitures? Maybe thats the difference!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by suni

I ll never understand why so many people in USA use such soft paws! Are your cats different? Cats scratch, thats a fact, but is it so dangerous? So uncomfortable? So badly needed to cover the claws?
Not all of us use them. I believe that if I was more concerned with my furniture than I was my cats, I shouldn't have cats. They honestly don't scratch up anything except their designated "scratchies."

But I understand the original poster is in a hard place having a landlord that barbarically requires declawing. I fully understand using the soft paws under those circumstances.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Not all of us use them. I believe that if I was more concerned with my furniture than I was my cats, I shouldn't have cats. They honestly don't scratch up anything except their designated "scratchies."

But I understand the original poster is in a hard place having a landlord that barbarically requires declawing. I fully understand using the soft paws under those circumstances.
What is your concern with using soft paws? Many cats wear them with no problem (including many here on this forum) and I don't see why you or Suni feel it's a problem. I can understand if you try them and the cat can't adjust, but there is no harm in trying them. It's a completely humane alternative to declawing and if anything those who choose this alternative should be commended.

I would never choose furniture over a cat, and don't appreciate you insinuating that that's what I'm doing. During the training phase of kittenhood (or any new adult for that matter), you can't always trust them to use scratchers, even if you have half a dozen in the room as I do. I also mentioned that I'm using them until I can trust that the new kitten won't hurt my other cat or my dog. I've already had one incident where my dog was clawed in the eye by another cat and it took her months to recover. It's my responsibility as a loving pet owner to ensure their safety as well.

If you have real concerns about soft paws, then it would be best to state them specifically so we can have an educated discussion on their use, instead of treating those who do use them like we're being cruel to our animals.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They are just a harmless way to prevent damage done by claws. It really isn't all that complicated.

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didnt say that using soft paws means being cruel to cats - I am only confused because I ve never heard of them before. There are no soft paws in Austria (and nobody thinks about declawing...) - and yes, my sofa is badly damaged by the cats
and sometimes they fight and have marks in their faces...(to say nothing of my hands...
)

but although it is a mystery to me.....

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I didnt say that using soft paws means being cruel to cats - I am only confused because I ve never heard of them before. There are no soft paws in Austria (and nobody thinks about declawing...) - and yes, my sofa is badly damaged by the cats
and sometimes they fight and have marks in their faces...(to say nothing of my hands...
)

but although it is a mystery to me.....
Ouch! Poor Paco! You should definitely check them out if you haven't already. Here is the site for Soft Paws:

http://www.softpaws.com/

My favorite page on their website is the gallery where all of the kitties are showing off their "manicures".
And I didn't mean to imply that you thought they were cruel, I was just trying to get clarification on if you or Misty8723 had specific concerns about using them. As you will see from the website, they were actually developed by a veterinarian. I think it's one of the coolest inventions for cats ever, especially in the USA where declawing is so rampant. I don't plan to use them when my kitty gets older though as trimming should suffice once she gets settled in.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I use Soft Paws on Chloe because she terrorizes my de-clawed cat (who I didn't de-claw, it was her previous owner) with her claws and also because I was sick of being scratched all over my face, arms, etc. while trying to groom her or give her medicine. It's a very humane alternative to de-clawing. She still scratches things, it just doesn't leave any damage. They are nice to use while training your cat where to scratch and where not to scratch. I think they are fantastic.

To the original poster - I completely sympathize. Putting them on Chloe is a nightmare.

suni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

Ouch! Poor Paco! You should definitely check them out if you haven't already.
He isn´t so poor at all, usually he starts to fight Satchmo. And this is the result.... (I dont see Satchmos marks because of his black color)
But I really think, cats dont need soft claws, its their nature to scratch.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
just re-soft pawed all the clawed kits... Cable was fine, altho she laid her ears back. Java didn't want to sit with me after i was finished [so i could make sure the adhesive worked]. these 2 i did in the den, because i knew they would behave.
Firefox's first set - she growled the whole time [she does that when i clip her claws, as well] & hissed at me at least 3 times! we'll see how well she does with them.
hoping to get new sofas soon, as well as non-upholstored dining chairs - that should also help! [my sofas have a nubby fabric they just LOVE to scratch at!]

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i didnt have any probs putting them on chloe but i couldnt keep them on her. she chewed them off within a few hours

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

i didnt have any probs putting them on chloe but i couldnt keep them on her. she chewed them off within a few hours
Java did that the first time i put them on her.
Firefox's are still on! first time for her.