Pre-Cooking Chicken?

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys
I'm having some friends over for dinner tonight, and the recipe I'm making calls for pre-cooked chicken. I usually poach it, but I want to try something different.

How do you guys usually do it? Bake it? Boil? Fry? For how long, what temps, etc?

Thanks

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if you just need to cube it or shred it once its cooked I would boil it. Not sure for how long, its been a while since Ive boiled chicken. If youre using a whole chicken you know its done when the drumsticks are loose.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

If I'm using it in a recipe that will add flavor to it, I just boil it until it's done (around 20-30 minutes, I think).
I just wanted to add that I was talking about boneless, skinless chicken breasts here. That's pretty much all we use, unless I'm making chicken and dumplins.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer to bake when it comes to chicken, if you pick up one of those turkey roasting bags, it cooks quickly, fabulously, and is incredibly tender and juicy. I make it in those, and throw in some veggies, and there is dinner

Good Luck!

**edited-- just saw your last post
I was thinking about whole chickens... I still bake usually when it comes to boneless skinless, you can even throw a can of mushroom soup in with them, yummy. Another great idea is to pick up some bacon, and onion/herb flavored cream cheese. Flatten the chicken out, put a spoonful of the cream cheese in the center, then roll it up, wrap one piece of bacon around it and secure with a toothpick
Crazy yummy!

I am so bummed it's Friday now! You've got me craving chicken!!