My neighbours cat loves me

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, first i want to make sure i make this clear. I NEVER feed her. I think its absolutley horrible to steal other peoples beloved pets. She just keeps trying to come in! It doesnt help that they leave her out in the rain and wind... and it doesnt help that she is SO beautiful. She is an all black, with a hint of brown, long haired, green eyes. She comes running from down the street when she sees me coming home and purrs round my legs like i own her... and i dont damn it. :-(

How do i discourage this behavoiur without being mean, and how do i not let her in when she is outside my window meowing with her soggy rained on long fur all drenched looking all miserable.

Ive taken her back round to her owner twice now and she just says "that daft cat, will be wanting to come back out in a minute!" i just think to myself "... yeah to see me"

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosie_863

Ok, first i want to make sure i make this clear. I NEVER feed her. I think its absolutley horrible to steal other peoples beloved pets. She just keeps trying to come in! It doesnt help that they leave her out in the rain and wind...

<snip>

Ive taken her back round to her owner twice now and she just says "that daft cat, will be wanting to come back out in a minute!" i just think to myself "... yeah to see me"
"Beloved pet"? It hardly sounds as though she takes very good care of the cat. I'm sure the cat knows that you would be a much better two-legged mom than her present one, and is trying to tell you so.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She obviously loves you, and wants to be with you. I don't think it would be stealing if you helped this poor, miserable creature. She is hungry and cold, and is asking you for help. Poor little thing. She will probably end up as a kitten factory and be put out because her owners can't be bothered.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cat is daft for staying out in the rain, and probably has a perfectly good home. She likely wants in at your place because she smells your cat inside (and may not be spayed herself). Play with her if you like, and even ask the owner if she actually wants to keep her (nicely!), but don't mistake her wanting to play for needing adoption.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I attract cats too. They know a cat lover (or an easy target) when they see one.
Everyone has given you great suggestions already. I hope you can find a good solution to your problem.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she even fixed?

Honestly, if they don't care for her, bring her in & see if they ever miss her! I doubt it.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WCL - That's not very responsible advice - especially if the person it's directed at is young and impressionable (not to say likely to be liable for stealing if it ever comes to that).

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rosie, if it could be arranged, would you want the cats and be willing/able to care for it? If you are a minor, would your parents be willing to let you care for the cat and would they be ale/want to pay for its care?

If the answers are yes to the above, then I would consider asking the woman if you could have the cat. Take a parent with you if you are a minor.

If the answers are no, then I would look for a no-kill shelter in your area and notify them of the needy cat.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are in the UK where keeping cats outside is very common, but leaving her out in the rain is not very nice or responsible. Does the cat look well-fed? Does she have a spay scar on her tummy? (If she's not spayed, that's a whole other issue that needs to be addressed).

Don't know what to tell you about the cat being attracted to you, especially since cats seem to gravitate toward people who ignore them.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look - it rains all the time in the UK, often without notice, and if a cat has gone out when it was sunny, then it rains but the cat chooses to either hide under something, or get wet, but is nowhere near home, what is the owner to do - put out an APB on the cat because it's raining? Come on people, be realistic.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

Does she have a spay scar on her tummy? (If she's not spayed, that's a whole other issue that needs to be addressed).
Also check her side, flank speying is common over here and I believe in the UK as well.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larke is right. Talk to the owners if you truly feel upset over this cat's behavior - or it being out in the rain. You do not know their side of the story and unless the cat looks too skinny or poorly cared for it really is more likely the cat is just focused on you.

I have one neighbor's cat, a female, that really seems to enjoy her game of attempting to trip me over on my face.
She's a little pudgy, in good health, and sometimes asks for a bit of wet food. I have no desire to take her over as my own even though she's an outdoor cat (she'd definitely beat up my boys).
She's not here looking for a home, just someone to hound, and it's likely the same with that kitty. It wouldn't surprise me if you found out she had other friends in the neighborhood, even less so if those people give her snacks.

If you start finding secret admirer letters (wadded up paper balls) and gifts (dead mice) on your doorstep, then you have to really worry.

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should jump to conclusions that she a poor mistreated cat just cause shes out in the rain.

The owners could be out or at work or perhaps the cat just prefers the outdoors.
Then she could just be a super friendly cat. Mine is constantly on the mooch to people walking down the street and trying to get a paw into other apartments, she just thinks that everyone should adore her.

A cat I got when flatting was very laid back and affectionate and then when my son came along, he got his nose out of joint when he started crawling.
This happened about the same time that my neighbours cat died.
Guess who jumped ship! They hadn't fed him or in anyway encouraged him, but he'd been trying to move in before the previous cat died. They asked me if I minded, I felt rejected of course but he was happier there with no kids and the house to himself.
Well, he's now 17yrs old and lives like a lord

Perhaps there have been some changes at this cat's home that she's not happy with, it doesn't mean they love her any less.
Ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she is well looked after physically, i would be suprised if she wasnt spayed, she looks quite healthy. But she is ALWAYS outside. I mean in england, outdoor cats are VERY common, but it never usually means always outside. She comes running to me when she sees me at the top of the road. I love her. I know i cant let that blind me to stealing tho. I cant convince myself that im doing her a favour when im just stealing. She probably would be happier with me, but she isnt miserable where she is.

Btw, i rent my own property and dont have to ask my parents if i can steal peoples cats... lol

My question was more about how to discourage her without feeling like im being nasty

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaar, see, she KNOWS you love her. Cats spot big softys like you a mile away

Probably the best you can do is to just give her a scritch and then continue on your way NOT looking back LOL