I'm going to start volunteering!

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope I can handle it.

I'll be volunteering at the local Humane Society. I've alreaady done the orientation, and apparently now I can go there whenever I want and decide to do whatever I want. I'm working every day until next Thursday, but since I have class that day, I hope I can volunteer Friday.

I'm doing this for several reasons, but a main one is in memory of Lady. We adopted her from a different Humane Society, but I remember going there and seeing her in her cage (she was a 5 month old puppy). It was after Christmas, and they only had 2 dogs left, and she was due to be euthanized the next day. My sister and I were 8 years old, and had just gone through getting a sweet dog for Christmas (Trixie) only to have her accidentally run outside and get hit by a truck on New Year's Eve.

Lady's tail started wagging as soon as she saw us. She was so excited to meet us that she peed in 2 rooms.

She had so many problems later on that most people probably would have dumped.

I just want to help some animals get comfort, love, and attention especially if it's the only time in their lives.

Tricia

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I could handle it without bringing anyone home. I thought it'll help that I volunteered at a rescue, and I'm basically against rescues for personal reasons. Yeah...I was still a goner lol. Good luck and have fun!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you for volunteering.
I'm sure the animals will benefit from your love and care.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yah! I'm so happy for you!! Good luck!! Thank you for donating your time to bring some joy and care to these needy animials!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

I thought I could handle it without bringing anyone home. I thought it'll help that I volunteered at a rescue, and I'm basically against rescues for personal reasons. Yeah...I was still a goner lol. Good luck and have fun!
I should be okay in that respect because my apartment only allows 2 pets maximum and I'm at my limit, although I know I'm going to want to take them all home.

Tricia

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I should be okay in that respect because my apartment only allows 2 pets maximum and I'm at my limit, although I know I'm going to want to take them all home.

Tricia
I'm moving so I could bring him home lmao

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the couple of Humane Societies where I've volunteered, I was mostly disappointed in the programs. They didn't allow volunteers to do much hands-on work, (such as playing with the cats out of the cage, etc), which was pretty much the entire point of me volunteering...

I've found several other shelters, not funded or headlined by the HS, and they all have given their volunteers a bit more freedom in what they can do with/to help the animals.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and I hope you find it as rewarding as the animals do!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I started as a volunteer at our local cat refuge a few weeks ago and I am loving it. I am building up relationships with some of the long term residents and am able to help those whom others have given up on. It is great and satisfying work. I am sure you will enjoy it and do a lot of good.

itibitikitimom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plainjane

At the couple of Humane Societies where I've volunteered, I was mostly disappointed in the programs. They didn't allow volunteers to do much hands-on work, (such as playing with the cats out of the cage, etc), which was pretty much the entire point of me volunteering...

I've found several other shelters, not funded or headlined by the HS, and they all have given their volunteers a bit more freedom in what they can do with/to help the animals.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and I hope you find it as rewarding as the animals do!
Our Humane Society is all about hands on with the animals. We want the animals to have as much interaction with people as they can, both cats and dogs.

Volunteering is FABULOUS!! Most places that have a volunteer program have them because they are vitally needed in order to keep the shelter open. If you have the inclination to volunteer DO IT!! I know that our shelter could not survive without our precious volunteers!! VOLUNTEERS ROCK!!

Just as an FYI, the title Humane Society does not mean that the shelter is under some sort of umbrella with other Humane Societies. Ours is a non profit, private organization that runs on 100% donations and fundraisers.

Unfortunatly, some believe that if you contribute to the Humane Society of the United States that it trickles down to your local Humane Societies and that is not true.

Also, not all Humane Societies are NO KILL so if you do not want to contribute to a kill shelter it is best to contact them and ask specifically.

HAVE A GREAT THURSDAY EVERYONE!!!