My Cats what color should the liter be?

jkalex05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are my two cats.

Maury is a male seal point himalayan and Coco is a white persian.

Coco is pregnant and should be delivering in early to mid april. what do you all think the liter will look like color wise. They are quite a unique combo!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would depend on what is in their background. You will get at least one white cause white is dominate. If the white is carrying pointed, then you will get pointed (seal; or blue if both are carrying the dilute). If the white is not carrying pointed all the kittens will be solids, black, blue, white.

What color are the grandparents on both sides?

BTW WHY are you breeding white to pointed? That is not usually done.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on what color the white is under the white (yes, white cats have another color under it... the white is just a "coat" that covers the real color) and of course on what other color traits they carry.

The only thing that's for sure is that solid black and solid white are possible outcomes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jkalex05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sol

It depends on what color the white is under the white (yes, white cats have another color under it... the white is just a "coat" that covers the real color) and of course on what other color traits they carry.

The only thing that's for sure is that solid black and solid white are possible outcomes.
Her skin is pinkish very cute haha. I wonder what her color is underneath.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkalex05

Her skin is pinkish very cute haha. I wonder what her color is underneath.
Did she have any colored patches on her head when she was a kitten? Sometimes white kittens have patches od color on their heads, a patch that shows the true color of the cat. My white female had one red and one black patch on her head making her a genetic tortie. When she had kittens it turned out that she also was spotted (or mackerel) tabby.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What color are the grandparents on both sides?
Their papers will tell you the colours in their lines (at least they do over here) that will help you figure out what colours are likely.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the patch isn't reliable - you go by what color the parents and grandparents are to tell what color the cat is under the white (genetically).

My white rex was a tortie - her dad was red tabby and mom was a white carrying seal point (black) - making her a tortie. She had NO color patches on her head as a kitten.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The patches have never mislead me or any breeder I know. The patch (if present) won't give you an exact answer but it'll tell you if it's a red or black pigmented cat.

When looking at the parents there's always at least one white and you'll have no idea what color that cat carries if it hasn't had any other litters.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you know the pedigree you will know what color the white is carrying. Its when you don't know the pedigree, you can't tell unless there is a litter.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

If you know the pedigree you will know what color the white is carrying. Its when you don't know the pedigree, you can't tell unless there is a litter.
It's not that easy. Since there's always at least one white cat involved and the litters don't always show the white parents color it's not enough to rely on the pedigree.

I know my white female is a torbie under the white, but she might also be silver. I wouldn't know what color she's under the white if she would've given birth towhite kittens only, or black kittens only.

I'm not talking about maybies, I'm talking about actuarally knowing what color the white cat really is.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most pedigrees have the name of the cat and the color. My white rexes had pedigrees with the parents, grandparents, etc. names and colors. Are you talking about the names of the parents on the registration (where you would not know the colors)?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Most pedigrees have the name of the cat and the color. My white rexes had pedigrees with the parents, grandparents, etc. names and colors. Are you talking about the names of the parents on the registration (where you would not know the colors)?
Of course the colors are noted in the pedigrees. The problem is that behind every white cat, there's another white cat and the problem is that a white cats true color isn't revealed until it has offspring and not even then you can be 100% sure of the true color.

Hadn't my white queen had both a red and a black spot on her head I wouldn't have known she's a tortie if she wouldn't have given birth to red pigmented kittens when bred two black pigmented males. Had she only given birth to white kittens (it happens) nothing would have been revealed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a point if the cat only produces whites. That's one of the problems in the turkish angoras as the white was so dominate from many generations, it was not common to get color.

Now that the color TA's are accepted and have been, its a lot easier to tell what the whites carry

In most cases, if you can trace the pedigree about 4-5 generations, you usually do come up with some color indicators

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With white cats the white could be carried down the pedigree and you wouldn't necessarily know unless you have info about other matings done with the parents/grandparents to see what colours they produce. You could have white all along the pedigree and not know the base colour without looking for further evidence. I am well in favour of DNA testing for this sort of thing when it becomes available, I am not sure whether any labs are offering this at the moment, but if they were I would want to be taking advantage of their services!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I am well in favour of DNA testing for this sort of thing when it becomes available, I am not sure whether any labs are offering this at the moment, but if they were I would want to be taking advantage of their services!
We have it over here (fairly new I think), I know many breeders are quite excited about getting their cats tested.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

We have it over here (fairly new I think), I know many breeders are quite excited about getting their cats tested.
Good news, I think at the moment we are restricted to sending buccal swabs or blood samples to the US, and not all traits are able to be tested for as some feline genetics is still in the realms of mystery, it's all OK where genes are straightforward dominant/recessive and where 1 protein determines 1 physical trait (given that 1 gene=coding for production of 1 protein), but most genes don't fall into that category.

I know if I want my parrot DNA tested for gender I can get it done with a blood sample or 3 feathers pulled out at the root for the cost of £25 + postage & packing, but really that's a fairly simple test for the presence of V/W chromosomes (the bird equivalent of X/Y chromosomes) but not looking at genes. As I have no interest in breeding him (and he has no interest in other birds being hand-reared) I haven't bothered, because it's not important to me to know 'his' gender. I am really not sure what is available at the moment for cats, but I know the feline genome project has to have advanced lab testing in some way!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat's pedigree tells the colors of the Sire and Dam and actually goes back 4 generations with colors. That said.... I really know nothing about colors and the genetic aspect of it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need a crash course if you breed the cats - some people want certain colors - so you need to know the basics.

On that note, I downloaded (haven't studied it yet) an extensive color chart for Oci's. Those are colors I'm not familar with in genetics and how this color can produce that color.

Looks interesting - have to cut/paste the chart (its 3 pages long) and then take a look at it and learn more.