Worried about weights

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK. I already posted about this in my other thread, but I wanted another thread to hopefully get more response. Three of my babies have lost a little weight since yesterday. I need all the advice I can get. Two of them have lost 1/8 oz and one has lost 1/4 oz. I've seen them all nursing, but some are bigger and more aggressive about staying on a nipple than others. What should I be looking for?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to supplement them with KMR. Or you can supervise feeding time every hour or two and make sure that the smaller ones are getting their fair share. As a general rule, kittens should be gaining about 10 grams a day, losing weight is definitely not a good sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

As a general rule, kittens should be gaining about 10 grams a day, losing weight is definitely not a good sign.
That's what I was afraid of. The others that didn't lose weight are actually the same weight as yesterday. None of them have gained.

I only have a few more days to closely supervise. On Tuesday I start my new job.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decided to weigh in grams. Here is the comparison to yesterday.

Max- 3/12, 126g- 3/13, 126g
Lovey- 3/12, 100g- 3/13, 100g
Cyndi- 3/12, 93g- 3/13, 94g (when I look at it in grams, it looks like she did gain a gram)
Punky- 3/12, 93g- 3/13, 93g
Belle- 3/12, 93g- 3/13, 92g
Cuddles- 3/12, 93g- 3/13 88g

See, it looks like Cuddles lost 5g.

Are these weights in the normal range for newborn kittens?

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called the vet this morning and I was told to give them a few days. If the weight isn't picking up by Monday I should let them know. I asked if I should supplement with KMR and the vet tech said it couldn't hurt. I'm going to go ahead and get some KMR and see if Cuddles will take some. I don't like it that he is below 90 grams.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is fantastic that you are monitoring their weights so closely!

Best way to catch a problem before it turns fatal. Kudos to you for being such a good grandma

One of the volunteer foster moms from The A.N.N.A. Shelter had a cat that birthed a large litter. Half the litter was gaining and the other half - not so much. What she did was to separate the litter in two different boxes, but same room, on opposite sides. The momma cat still visited both boxes and took care of both sets. This ensured that the weaker, less aggressive kittens were getting the milk they needed.

One thing worth noting: the mom cat did try to move the litter back together a few times, but eventually gave up.

All 8 kittens grew up and moved on to their furr-ever homes perfectly!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pretty good idea! I might try it. In the meantime, I got some KMR. It couldn't hurt. They have had two days to get the colostrum, so an extra KMR feeding or two per day on the smallest ones might be good. I can also sprinkle the KMR powder on mom's wet food to up her milk output.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wondered....
should Rags be receiving extra nourishment to keep up her milk supply?

Sending lots of thrive vibes to Rag's precious kittens.

You are taking really good care of Rags and her babies.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I just wondered....

Thank you! I was thinking that some KMR in Rags's wet food could help with the nourishment. Good news, though. Just since this morning Cuddles has gained 4 grams. I might not need the supplemental feedings, so I might have wasted money on the bottle! But I don't think the KMR was a waste. It can be given to Rags and also mixed with the babies food when they start to eat out of a bowl. What do you guys think? I have the KMR, it couldn't hurt to use it, right?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be careful about changing anything in Rag's diet if all seems well with her.
You don't want her tummy to become upset.
That could cause the "runs" and dehydration.

Just offer her plenty of the food she is used to eating and fresh water.

If you are going to supplement her diet, I would ask your vet first.

Cuddles has gained 4 grams.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet said some supplementation for the kittens would be OK. I'll ask about adding some to Rags's diet.

rotobay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think your kitties might already be turning the corner, Gayle, but for what its worth, a few of my kittens lost a few grams right after birth too. My vet said it wasn't abnormal, but to watch them closely.After a few days, they all started gaining weight steadily.

My vet did recommend giving my mama cat "Cat sip" which I've been giving her daily (she's not a big water drinker). Not sure if that made any difference but she does seem to like it.

I recall after my 2 kids were born, they both lost several ounces and both weighed less at discharge from the hospital than they weighed at birth. I know in humans this is totally normal. I'm sure your kitties will be fine, but its good that you're on top of things.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My babies are looking good and sleeping peacefully right now. I went ahead and put Cuddles on a nipple while the others were sleeping. He is catching up, though. I'm relieved to hear that it isn't abnormal and that you noticed the same thing. I just got nervous because all of this stuff on the internet said that kittens should never lose any weight and that they should gain steadily. So much for the internet. They looked like reputable sites, too.
What is "cat sip?" is it like kitty milk, the lactose-free stuff they sell in pet stores?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I just wondered....

She's definitely right. I'm sorry I didnt mention this earlier, because I assumed it was already discussed. A nursing cat requires MORE calories than a pregnant cat. She should still be eating a kitten food diet. Offer her all she can eat.

I leave dry food down for my mothers 24/7 and feed them canned food twice a day.

They probably would enjoy KMR... whatever you do though, dont give them straight milk. I made this mistake once with my own cat 3 years ago and the vet informed me that cats are lactose intolerant - despite their love for it! The proof was on the x-ray of her distended belly.

Anyway... hope those babes start to bulk up soon!

Looking forward to the one week pictures

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been free feeding her on dry kitten food and canned kitten food morning and night. Before she delivered I gave her a half a can for each feeding and now I'm giving her a whole can at each feeding and she eats every bit. She also gets occasional Pounce treats. She
s them! Unfortunately, I haven't had much access to the Premium brands. The dry is Special Kitty kitten food and the canned is either Iams or Science Diet, which people have told me are expensive, but not that great. My problem is not being close to a good pet store. But I think Rags is doing OK on what I'm giving her. I just thought a little KMR, either wet to drink or the powder sprinkled on the food would do some good and she might think it's tasty. I haven't tried it, though.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GayleMG

I just thought a little KMR, either wet to drink or the powder sprinkled on the food would do some good and she might think it's tasty. I haven't tried it, though.
Is her tummy very sensitive to new foods?
If not, maybe a little KMR would give her those extra needed calories.

Again, you just must be careful if you introduce anything new into Rags diet because of the possibly of an upset tummy, quickly followed by runny diarrhea, which could cause dehydration that would diminish her milk supply.

Rags looks like a very healthy cat...
She sure is a beautiful Mama.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that cuddles gained weight and is doing better. With Sophie I give her a can of wet food in the morning and she has dry out in a bowl all the time. She seems to be producing alot of milk. Good luck with your babies!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think Rags has a sensitive stomach. She had some diarrhea for a couple weeks before the babies were born, but I think it is resolved. I'm sure it was pregnancy related!

Here are the weight stats: (This is in grams)

\t12-Mar\t13-Mar\t14-Mar\t15-Mar
Max\t126\t126\t130\t142
Lovey\t100\t100\t100\t110
Cyndi\t93\t94\t94\t106
Belle\t93\t92\t92\t100
Cuddles\t93\t88\t88\t92
Punky\t93\t93\t96\t110