A Minor Declaw Surgery

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Watch how a kitty heals from a minor declaw surgery

(This is NOT a debate....don't turn it into one, this thread can easily be locked or pulled from the forums)

Mom, can you get this thing off me?!?!

She can't hardly walk.
She can't get into the litterpan very well.
She can't stand on the water bowl to get a drink like normal.
Playing is impossible.
No getting up on the windowsills to enjoy the sunshine.
The other kitties chase her wanting her to play, she can't run away & if she stands still they'll pounce her to play.

Why people do this willingly is beyond me. She only had one claw done & that was only because she ripped it out. I've got the bathroom set up for her to have peace. For now, I'm letting her be out & about while I watch. I've put her up on the windowsill so she can enjoy some sun & heal in peace.

Tomorrow the bandage comes off, we'll see what her paw looks like then.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the poor love

I know how much it hurts if I just split a nail too far!

Hoping she recovers very soon so she can get that nasty bandage off her paw

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, that poor baby. You're doing everything you can to keep her comfortable. Here are some vibes for a quick recovery...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She somehow got the bandage off. Her paw is a nasty bloody mess. I've got to quarantine her, Squishy, & Bea. Fun, fun, fun!

She won't use yesterday's news, I don't think....but that's what I've got on hand so it'll have to do. She'll have to use the puppy's litter pan, too....that's all I've got.

I am not at all prepared for this....gonna haul her to the vet tomorrow to make sure her paw is OK.....it looks so nasty.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm guessing they didn't put in stitches?
my first cat, Medley, got stitches after her declaw. Pixel & Mouse had those sticky-tape bandages like yours. i think they really HATE having that sticky stuff on them!
[yes, i declawed all 3 of these - but i was younger & foolish & didn't know any better!]

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't tell if she has stitches. They just re-declawed Bea a little over a month ago & she has stitches, so I don't know.

Her eye, she has a damaged tear duct. It always weeps, I clean her eye 2x a day. Well, I forgot to tell them to do that at the vet, I do it without thinking. So she didn't get her eye cleaned 2x in a row. I wiped it off so it's not so crusty, but she still has the "wetness" look around the eye.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, poor girl! It sounds much more serious then a declaw procedure. If she had the operation from an injury to her paw, thats a different situation.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This was her paw yesterday/Friday/2 days post-op......

She's not doing as bad as I expected her to, but it's still nasty!