Feline Ignorant Coworkers

thepatches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the other day while on my lunch break at work, my coworker and I got to talking about our cats. Now, I disagreed with him about him de-clawing his cats (but he did not know about the atrocities of it until I told him) but he obviously takes great care of them and loves them dearly.

But then my other coworker piped up with his feline story...

He had two cats. When his daughter was born, he still had the cats. He had had them for a while before she was born.

Well when she was about three months old, one of the cats bit the child. this is where the conversation reallly went downhill...

Me:Wow she just bit her? My cat usually swipes at me before she bites. She must have been really angry!
Him: Oh they were declawed. So she bit.
Me: Well, that's all she had left to her. (why the hell you would let your cat that close to a baby that is OBVIOUSLY in the cat's mind coming in on their territory and must be dealt with accordingly and shown who is "top kitty" in the house)
Him: Yeah I guess so.
Me: Did you have any problems with her after that with the baby?
Him: No I got rid of both the cats.
Me: Aww I'm sorry.
Him: I tried to do it the nice way by taking them to the shelter but they wanted me to PAY them!
Me: ::jokingly:: So you used the old "sold to a violin maker" trick? I tell my cat that I'm gonna do that with her when she's really bad.
Him: Naw. I shot them.
Me: You killed your cats? Both of them?
Him: Yeah the wife and I thought it was better than letting them loose somewhere to fend for themselves.

Me and my other coworker were just flabberghasted >.>

How could you DO that?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an evil swine!!
Declawing AND SHOOTING both cats?! I can't even begin to tell you just how infuriated I am by that!!

In the long run, what goes around, comes around.... he'll get his when the time is right

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you were so "flabbergasted" why didn't you anonymously give his name to the authorities or Humane Assoc. in your area (you could pretend to be a neighbor or someone that heard the shots or even saw him doing this) so maybe he could be prosecuted or at least face a hefty fine for animal cruelty. You do know it's against the law, don't you? If he were talking about a child, you would've notified the authorities. Cats are different? I think not. People like that shouldn't even have kids. I'M flabbergasted...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thepatches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Those POOR babies!

So many people disregard pets
The next sentance out of his mouth after this story was "I really want a dog"

thepatches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

if you were so "flabbergasted" why didn't you anonymously give his name to the authorities or Humane Assoc. in your area (you could pretend to be a neighbor or someone that heard the shots or even saw him doing this) so maybe he could be prosecuted or at least face a hefty fine for animal cruelty. You do know it's against the law, don't you? If he were talking about a child, you would've notified the authorities. Cats are different? I think not. People like that shouldn't even have kids. I'M flabbergasted...
Yes I DO know it's aginst the law. And my cat pretty much IS My kid so no I take this kind of thing VERY seriously. But, this was years ago (the 3 month old in this story is now 3) and there's no way they or I could prove it happened other than his story. Believe me, I would have turned his butt in. Done it before with a neighboor not properly caring for his dog.

Flabbergasted and angry was all I could be.

I even told him it was cruel and against the law. He just shrugged. Basically told me that people don't ACTUALLY get in trouble for that. I would have loved to lecture him, but I need to keep good relations with everyone as this job pays to keep my cat pampered and healthy until I find a new one closer to where I live and NOT in the sticks where this is apparantly O.K.. :eyeroll:

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ThePatches

Yes I DO know it's aginst the law. And my cat pretty much IS My kid so no I take this kind of thing VERY seriously. But, this was years ago (the 3 month old in this story is now 3) and there's no way they or I could prove it happened other than his story. Believe me, I would have turned his butt in. Done it before with a neighboor not properly caring for his dog.

Flabbergasted and angry was all I could be.

I even told him it was cruel and against the law. He just shrugged. Basically told me that people don't ACTUALLY get in trouble for that. I would have loved to lecture him, but I need to keep good relations with everyone as this job pays to keep my cat pampered and healthy until I find a new one closer to where I live and NOT in the sticks where this is apparantly O.K.. :eyeroll:
I don't recall you saying that it was three years ago in your first post, but if it was, why post it now and get everybody (including me) upset? I'm still reeling from the Marine in Iraq that threw a puppy off the cliff and laughed about it--and that happened in October, and I'm STILL trying to get info on him. All I know so far is he's unidentified and now stationed in Hawaii, but that the military is going to court martial him once he's identified.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

I don't recall you saying that it was three years ago in your first post, but if it was, why post it now and get everybody (including me) upset?
Menasmom, while the incident happened three years ago, ThePatches only heard about it a few days ago. I'm sure she is shocked and upset and frustrated that there's nothing she can do about it, which is why she is talking through it here. She has no evidence that this actually happened but his story.

ThePatches, since he is apparently considering a dog, perhaps you can anonymously give the shelters/rescues around you his information and the story he told you as a heads up. Obviously he should not be allowed to own animals.

Tricia

thepatches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a great idea to let the shelter know if he decides to get a dog. Even though I really don't think he's the type of person to "save" an animal. He'll wait til one of his friends' dogs has an unwanted litter and get one of them.

I don't see him actually getting another pet anytime soon because "The wife would kill (him)"

And yes I only just heard about it. If it had happened recently, I would have gone right outside to call the authorities! It still unnerved me though to think I work with a man who doesn't think anything is wrong with doing things like this.

His poor kids. To have parents that feel this way about animals.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People suck. It's plain & simple. Unfortunately, he's raising his child to be the same way.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*shakes her head* People really need to realize that animals are living creature too and deserve the same amount of respect that human beings to. People that do this kind of thing disgust me beyond all belief....