MRSA spread from woman, to cat, and back again

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many of us are going to wash after handling our cats, though? We carry them around, sleep with them, kiss them (as threads have proven), and some even share food - eating after their cats.

The article is interesting. I'm pretty sure most of us think of our cats as clean animals and not something that could infect or reinfect us with a bacteria like that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, staph infections can jump species. All MRSA is, is a form of Staph that is resistant to the antibiotic "Methacillin". It can still be treated by the highest Antibiotic called "Vancomycin"

Healthy people rarely get MRSA. The infection usually develops in patients in hospitals or nursing homes who are elderly or very sick, and who may be taking powerful antibiotics or who have an open wound (such as a bedsore) or a tube (such as a urinary catheter) going into their body. Individuals who are sick with weak immune systems are especially at risk of contacting MRSA. The bacteria can be found on the skin, in the nose and in blood and urine.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Yes, staph infections can jump species. All MRSA is, is a form of Staph that is resistant to the antibiotic "Methacillin". It can still be treated by the highest Antibiotic called "Vancomycin"

Healthy people rarely get MRSA. The infection usually develops in patients in hospitals or nursing homes who are elderly or very sick, and who may be taking powerful antibiotics or who have an open wound (such as a bedsore) or a tube (such as a urinary catheter) going into their body. Individuals who are sick with weak immune systems are especially at risk of contacting MRSA. The bacteria can be found on the skin, in the nose and in blood and urine.
It's really interesting, but I wouldn't worry unless I knew I had a supressed immune system or an open wound. Scary how the germs are getting stronger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

It's really interesting, but I wouldn't worry unless I knew I had a supressed immune system or an open wound. Scary how the germs are getting stronger
I agree. I didn't post it to freak people out that their cats might have MRSA, but that if you have or have had MRSA, and it's not going away, check your cats.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exactly does the MRSA work in the first place? I know it's a staph infection- but how does it spread throughout the body and all?

When Colin was in the Navy, he got a pretty nasty boil at one point that the Navy doctors had to lance and treat. It was a really bad one. He's normally always a very healthy person, never sick eithor, but the Navy doctors said they thought it was a form of MRSA when they were treating him. I don't think they gave him anything special for it though
They just lanced it and drained it over several days and kept it bandaged and clean. We've never had any issues with it though? Should i be concerned? (we do try to keep the house really clean and wash our hands often.) This was about 2-3 yrs ago when they said they thought he had it, does that mean he will carry if for life