They Live (1988)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/

After watching some really serious films in the past few days I decided that I needed a light movie to get me though last night. They Live was just the ticket. John Carpenter has made some really fun films: The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, and this cult masterpiece.

Based on a short story a construction worker obtains a pair of sun glasses that allows him to see the world as it really is. We are.... wait for it.... wait for it... being take over by aliens that are using mind control.
So Roddy Piper does what any rational person would do; he picks up guns and starts shooting. The basic plot can be seen from a mile away, so I won't bore you with it, but there are two factors that make this a great mindless movie:

1. Roddy Piper "lines". For example, "DIE YUPPY SCUM!" and "I came here to kick butt and chew bubble gum. I'm all OUT of bubble gum."

2. The fight scene that goes on forever. It's kind of like John Carpenter said to him self, "Geez, I have this wrestler, what's he good at? Oh. Right. Fighting." Seriously though in a 90 minute movie this scene goes on for almost 8.

If you are really in the mood for a movie that just sort of watches itself this would be a good one to rent.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/

After watching some really serious films in the past few days I decided that I needed a light movie to get me though last night. They Live was just the ticket. John Carpenter has made some really fun films: The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, and this cult masterpiece.

Based on a short story a construction worker obtains a pair of sun glasses that allows him to see the world as it really is. We are.... wait for it.... wait for it... being take over by aliens that are using mind control.
So Roddy Piper does what any rational person would do; he picks up guns and starts shooting. The basic plot can be seen from a mile away, so I won't bore you with it, but there are two factors that make this a great mindless movie:

1. Roddy Piper "lines". For example, "DIE YUPPY SCUM!" and "I came here to kick butt and chew bubble gum. I'm all OUT of bubble gum."

2. The fight scene that goes on forever. It's kind of like John Carpenter said to him self, "Geez, I have this wrestler, what's he good at? Oh. Right. Fighting." Seriously though in a 90 minute movie this scene goes on for almost 8.

If you are really in the mood for a movie that just sort of watches itself this would be a good one to rent.
Thank you for your reviews. I have come to rely on them.

I did get around to watching Across the Universe yesterday and growing up in the sixties and being a "hippy" and all that, this movie was magic for me. Why did it take 45 years for somebody to figure out they could make a movie using dialog from Beatle's songs? It was wonderful.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love that movie.
i think many of Carpenter's best movies where the ones where he a small budget.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Thank you for your reviews. I have come to rely on them.

I did get around to watching Across the Universe yesterday and growing up in the sixties and being a "hippy" and all that, this movie was magic for me. Why did it take 45 years for somebody to figure out they could make a movie using dialog from Beatle's songs? It was wonderful.
Across the Universe didn't really work for me. Bono shouldn't be allowed to act.

Thank you for the complement though. It made me feel good.
Originally Posted by theimp98

i love that movie.
i think many of Carpenter's best movies where the ones where he a small budget.
And does his own music. If you are able to get the bonus edition of Big Trouble in Little China you'll see his music video. It's.... amazing.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this movie. I find it kind of interesting that the fight in the alley between Roddy Piper and Kieth David wasn't scripted. They actually got into a fight on the set and John Carpenter just left it in there.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I love this movie. I find it kind of interesting that the fight in the alley between Roddy Piper and Kieth David wasn't scripted. They actually got into a fight on the set and John Carpenter just left it in there.
I agree he just sort of left the camera running and they just went for it. However if it isn't your thing one doesn't have to pause the movie to go potty or make a cuppa.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His character was just so stupid- telling that lady she's ugly! Screaming all the time! He basically wears a sign that says, "aliens, I see you, come kill me!" All that being said, I love this movie

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

His character was just so stupid- telling that lady she's ugly! Screaming all the time! He basically wears a sign that says, "aliens, I see you, come kill me!" All that being said, I love this movie
There are movies that are high art, and there are movies that are postcard copies of Thomas Kincade prints. This one has Kincade written all over it.