Does Anyone Else Here Sew?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in my 20s, I made about 75% of my wardrobe, but now I don't sew clothes much at all. I like creating costumes for my daughter, and sometimes my husband, although his costumes require way too much material and are very bulky and difficult to work with! These days I also like making decorative items like throw pillows, curtains, and reupholstering - pretty much anything but regular clothes.

Our daughter is turning ten soon and will be having five girls over for a slumber party! I'm making her special pajamas and a coordinating robe for the occasion, but that's more like a costume.

Do you sew? What do you make?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me no lol.

but my sister stil makes alot of her stuff, and has taught her kids to do it also.

eheh i used to make leather belts, and vests , and stuff like that, does that count?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to sew a lot. I even did a bunch of hand sewing for a while. Clothes for sure, and things like pillow shams and curtains. Haven't done any of it for eons, though.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I sew is the kitties catnip mousies when the seams come undone.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in junior high and high school, I sewed most of my clothes (I was extremely busty, and couldn't find cute clothes to fit.) I took up quilting at around age 30 and love doing piecing work. I volunteered for many years on the costume committee at the local theater. I learned how to sew when I was about 10 years old, by making doll clothes on my mom's old sewing machine. I love to sew.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mum always made our clothes growing up and while I can sew it's just not something I enjoy doing so I don't unless I really have to.
Usually if I want something I just get mum to do it for me, she's making a new set of show curtains for Farley this weekend.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I crochet more than I sew. I did make a skirt once that was too small. LOL I do a lot of my own alterations though and home decor. Of course, now that I've decided to stick with belly dancing I have a feeling I'll be sewing more because I can't afford to buy elaborate costumes for shows but I can afford to make some. Actually, I did some hand stitching for my first show to make a top.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't sew as much as I used too. I learned orginally in junior high school. Not many clothes at all but things like pillows, curtains etc. Recently I cut down a bunch of blankets for the rescue group I volunteer at. Its easier to wash a 3 x 4 little blanket than a full sized one. I do some mending too!!

My lastest obession is knitting decorative scarves!! I bought 6 more skeins of yarn yesterday plus one one Monday!! Still churning out one about every other day!!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only sewing I do is quilting. I had just started a thread about it the other day!
I have never made clothes or anything. But I love using my sewing machine!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just learning to sew! I have just started doing some easy stuff like pillows and purses but I have a few really cute shirts and skirts that I already have the material to make them out of! I just need to get brave enough to try it!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've made outfits for my niece when she was a toddler, with adorable prints and patterns. I made a shirt for the DH and a parka, there used to be a company that sold precut parka kits, with everything included, even the thread. I haven't done much lately other than rag quilts, throws and baby ones. My local JoAnn's closed and the nearest place with nice material is 40 minutes away now.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned to sew when I was 4, my uncle taught me so I would be able to make my own nets to catch stuff with.

I used to sew more but as I've said, lately my hands and wrists can't take much. Last thing I made were some stuff animals.
Never really made any clothes, just wasn't interested and I'm more of a jeans type person (way too much sewing there).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to sew! However I haven't been sewing the last 4 years or so. It's not always cheaper, especially if you are plus size because you need to lay a pattern differently, which requires more material. When I was working I was making my own uniforms though.

I would love to take up sewing again but I can't afford to buy the material to do so. It's something that will have to wait until I return to work.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to sew but I also like to shop
I have a fancy Bernina machine. I made most of my kid's costumes. Here are some of the harder ones I made for Ben

http://[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/gmhyman/pokemoncostume.jpg[/IMG]

He would pick the Pokemon character with the stuffed tail that you had to have a string to hold up.

I made him the Draco Malfoy costume because, trust me, he is no Harry Potter!
And, of course, he is blond. The pictures are fairly current because our daughter took them when they went to the party for the last Harry Potter book's release.

http://[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/gmhyman/100_0965.jpg[/IMG]

I didn't make as many costumes for our daughter because she loved the Disney costumes and I was traveling. I did make her a Yellow Power Ranger costume one year. I finished it at 3 am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nice to see others who also sew! I agree it is definitely not cheaper than buying clothes (especially in this part of Canada; for some reason patterns are cheap but fabric is very expensive, and clothes off the rack are pretty inexpensive).

butzie, very cool costumes! Wow! Sewing is good when you (or your child) want something that you can't buy!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh I want to sew so badly but I don't have a machine, serger or manniquin form.
Those things can be expensive! I never really learned how to use a machine though, I swear they hate me!
I can hand sew though and i have the patience but not the time, fabric or patterns.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to sew some of my own clothes and often made outfits for Jennifer when she was little. Then it really got too expensive. There was one dress I fell in love with but when I figures out the cost of the material, the pattern ($15), buttons (one button alone was close to $10 I believe), to be around $110 so I figured I could buy the dress or one close to it much cheaper.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Gosh I want to sew so badly but I don't have a machine, serger or manniquin form.
Those things can be expensive! I never really learned how to use a machine though, I swear they hate me!
I can hand sew though and i have the patience but not the time, fabric or patterns.
Janome just came out with a new 'mini' machine... I think Hancock Fabrics has it for about 50 bucks... it's BASIC, but it is still janome, which is an excellent brand... I saw them at the Sewing Expo... for occasional sewers, it would be find... as for dress forms... I can't afford one either... so I posted on Craigslist I wanted an old mannequin... bought it for 20 bucks, then padded it with fluffy batting and duck tape.

Originally Posted by butzie

I made him the Draco Malfoy costume because, trust me, he is no Harry Potter!
And, of course, he is blond. The pictures are fairly current because our daughter took them when they went to the party for the last Harry Potter book's release.

I didn't make as many costumes for our daughter because she loved the Disney costumes and I was traveling. I did make her a Yellow Power Ranger costume one year. I finished it at 3 am.
Oooooh... and you live in the Bay Area... you may have seen my friends at the book release... they usually walk around in costume, messing with the people in line... I'm a member of the Black Fleet Pirate's Guild in the Bay Area... I run the website, even though I don't live there anymore...

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

It's nice to see others who also sew! I agree it is definitely not cheaper than buying clothes (especially in this part of Canada; for some reason patterns are cheap but fabric is very expensive, and clothes off the rack are pretty inexpensive).
If you ever find your way to Portland, come by Fabric Depot, we get a lot of Canadians from your area... or you can hit the website...

yes, I sew, but not as much as I should be... too many other hobbies as well... more later... I'm late for work!!!

Amanda

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a member of the NJ Renaissance Festival Players. We do the Renne. Festival as well as several plays a year. I am always sewing more garb for the festival and costumes for the shows. We make an annual pilgimage to the Garment district in Manhattan in February so we can purchase the fabric for our newest garb. Even with the cost of the bus, lunch, and the extra fabric we can't resist, it comes out cheaper than a local fabric chain.