Rambo update - success battling autoimmune condition

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!! It's been a very long time since I've been on here, but things have been crazy (though i've missed this site tons!).

Some of you might remember me...and my kitty Rambo (search rambo and sick and you'll find the whole story), who thanks to the people and knowledge on this site, had his mystery illness finally diagnosed as eosinophilic granuloma complex, an autoimmune condition. Rambo's health was being maintained (or so i thought) by low dose prednisone and monitoring of liver functions. Just 2 months ago Rambo developed a new symptom of his illness, his front paw pads swelled up and turned a bluish/purple. His face and throat also swelled up. Generally he was miserable. Rambo's prednisone dose was upped in the hope of fixing this, but with no success.

With a lot of research, and new found friendship with a veterinarian, I've decided to start Rambo on cyclosporin (a immunosuppresser usually used for organ transplants). Cyclosporin has been tested on kitties with a variety of autoimmune conditions with promising results. Cyclosporin also doesn't have the bad side effects of prednisone (i.e. won't damage the liver or cause diabetes).

I am ecstatic to say...after only 1 week the results are amazing! Rambo's facial swelling is gone and his paw pads have shrunk back to normal size. They still have the purple coloration, but it seems to be fading. His energy level is doubled...and generally I have my happy, healthy baby back!

I just had to share this information with you guys, as i have you to thank for getting Rambo diagnosed. Also, i know that there are some kitties on this site that may be suffering similarly from autoimmune conditions, and cyclosporin may be an alternative you want to discuss with your vet. If anyone wants some of the research on this, please feel free to contact me!

missed you all, and i hope to be around her more!!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful news for you and Rambo.

your info on the cyclosporin will help another kitty here down the road. Thank you for posting the update

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update. That's good news that you have not only a diagnosis, but it seems also a treatment that works.
Scritches for your sweet boy
and
for his meowmy who kept up the fight for him. Good to see you back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! it's great to be back!!

Since using cyclosporin in cats is pretty cutting edge for autoimmune, I wanted to pass on the info here as soon as possible.

Rambo just bolted by me like his butt was on fire...being chased by something only he can see....I am so glad to have my baby back!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

Thanks everyone! it's great to be back!!

Since using cyclosporin in cats is pretty cutting edge for autoimmune, I wanted to pass on the info here as soon as possible.

Rambo just bolted by me like his butt was on fire...being chased by something only he can see....I am so glad to have my baby back!!
I'll bet you are. And he's such a lovely boy!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so wonderful, Reaghan!! lots of vibes for Rambo's continued health!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful news!!!

I am glad you shared this information, I have a kitty that the cyclosporin might be something to try for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely worth a try. At the very least something to ask your vet about. SOme of these results are on the VIN, the veterinary information network. The results are nothing short of miraculous!

Cyclosporin is a bit expensive compared to prednisone, but hopefully in a few months we'll be down to once a week and that will be much better! There are also generic brands of cyclosporin which are less expensive. I hopeful that passing on this information will help others out!!