Where do your kitties go when there's a vacuum?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious to hear how everyone else's cat(s) go when it's time to vacuum the house. Maybe a funny story or two will pop up!

Tiger, is a big scaredy cat. He will run and hide under the bed if the bedroom door is open. If not, then he'll dart to the bathroom where there is no carpet and then dart to the other side of the apartment when I have to reach the hallway by the bathroom.
Angel is a curious but wary watcher. She'll follow around with a good distance, keeping up high from the noisy 'monster'.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby either hides on the windowsill behind the blinds, or hides in the bedroom closet. She doesn't like the vacuum monster. However, when the caretaker is vacuuming the hallway outside my door, Abby is by the door watching the vacuum go back and forth from under the door
I guess the vacuum monster is ok so long as it's not in the same room and she can't see it!

Chynna absolutely loves the vacuum. As soon as she sees me with my hand on the vacuum she runs up to it and wants to be vacuumed. If I don't oblidge, she jumps on the table if I'm vacuuming near it, or the coffee table when I'm vacuuming the rug, or she flops down on the rug in front of the vacuum so I can't go further.

My old vacuum just had a regular furniture tool, which she absolutely loved! My Dyson has a turbine furniture tool, and she loves that even more!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151651

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they stay where they are unless im right up to their noses then kayden runs away. sassy attacks and dahmer just moves out of the way casually lol.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley goes into the bedroom when he sees me bring it out of the storage room, and lays next to the bed, nice and out of my way

Bayley on the other hand
I put him in the bedroom with Harley, but he comes out into the living room and sneaks around trying to hide from it. I don't understand
I tell him its nicer in the bedroom on the bed, but he'd rather play hide & seek with the big scary vacuum

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kuce used to be afraid of the vacuum and would take off to parts unkown when we first adopted her. Now she just sits and watches the vacuum intrude on 'her' domain. (She must have picked this up from my RB Cat Sphinx who would just either sit and watch or sleep right through the vacuuming).

Luvbug (our big scardy cat) and Lil' Jag take off to parts unkown (usually under a bed or a desk or dresser) and not come out for hours.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine chase me around, pouncing on the vacuum head as I move it around

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lena heads for the closet.

Larry heads for the space between the wall and the side of the refrigerator.
Odd place to hide, but he looks so funny. His head is facing the back wall, so he looks over his shoulder at me with sort of an expression of, "Don't you make me come out. Where's that big noisy thing? I'm not coming out.......ever."

Usually within 20 minutes of my finishing, he's out.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby vacuums while I am at work and he says he opens the bedroom so they can hide, probably under the bed.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kitties are so silly with the vacuum! Lily runs away and hides, but Stumpy and Smudge usually just sit somewhere where they can watch it without it getting them
If they're in the cat tree, they'll usually stay there, otherwise they'll sit on a chair in the dining room and watch.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually try to vacuum wherever Cindy isn't sleeping, so if she's sleeping on the bed, I'll wait to vacuum the bedroom later, etc. If I do get too close and she gets bothered, she'll go into the guest bedroom and either under the bed or on the other side of it by the window.

Swanie doesn't get quite as nutso as he used to. Usually he'll get up on a table or something to watch me. If I get too close or he gets too bothered, he'll go upstairs, into DH's "office" and up on the computer table. DH says he would know when I was vacuuming even if he didn't hear the noise, because it's the only time Swanie gets on his table.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all hate the noise monster but only two are truely afraid of it. I really need to run it more often but I just don't have the heart. Connor and Princess are frightened enough with Benson in the house. Princess is kinda funny though. When I start in her room she leaps down half the steps and runs to the basement. Which of course gets Benson's attention and he follows. She hides between the sofa & love seat in the basement. It's the only time she will come down. She will pop out for treats later on but usually I have to corner and carry her back to mom's room or she would eat for 12 hours.

Connor usually hides behind the couch in the living room. I usually do that floor before the bedrooms. He will stay there for about 3 hours before running back up to mom's room.

Lucky will hang around if he is already in the room but on the dining room chair or sofa. He knows the noise monster won't get him there.

Benson used to walk behind me to see what this thing was. Now he is usually asleep in some unknown spot.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita is absolutely petrified of the vacuum 'cat eater' cleaner.

She'll either run into my bedroom and squeeze herself behind my night stand or jump to the top of my wardrobe and hide behind my clothes.

It takes around 15min after I've finished vacuuming before she'll come out and even then she's *really* cautious and suspicous at everything.

She's got a real phobia about this poor girl and as a consequence I don't vacuum clean quite as often as I probably should.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor Nikita! I wonder if there's such thing as a feline phobia of vacuums and loud noises when a cat has obviously grew up in a safe environment/home?