TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Coco is going to the Vet for her Asthma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coco is going to the Vet for her Asthma

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Her Asthma is acting up. I talked to the Vet and she said to make a Appointment for the Vet Tech to give her a Shot. That way we will not be charged for a Visit. We talked about getting a Inhaler for her. It Cost 200 if we decide to get one. The Shot might make her get a Bladder infection again.
post #2 of 16
Sending lots of vibes for Coco
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks,
We dont want her Bladder Infection to come back.
post #4 of 16
Awwww Coco
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
The Shot should stop her Asthma and Allergies fast. Her last Shot was in Aug.
post #6 of 16
Awwww - poor Coco. I'm sorry to hear that she's not feeling well.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

~KK~
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks,
Coco got the Depo Midrol Shot and it should stop her Asthma soon.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Coco is Sneezing with a Runny Nose now. I will have to call the vet and found out if it is a Cold or Allergies.
post #9 of 16
Steroids cause an elevaion in the blood sugar - like a fake diabetes. This allows opportunistic bacteria to grow and cause infections. Fortunately, it is short term though. If Coco does get another bladder infection, I would ask the vet if it would be a good idea to start Coco on a low dose of antibiotics with every steriod shot.

What inhaler is the vet talking about for that much money? This must include the spacer and mask, which is very expensive. Fortunately, the spacer is reusable and last a very long time.

As a life long asthmatic, I would really consider the inhaler.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks,
She said it has a Mask and a Spacer. Last year when she got the Bladder Infection I think the Shot might have set it off. It started about a month after. The Vet did tell me the shot can give her a infection again. I have Asthma too and know how Coco feels whe it acts up. Now her Nose is running alot and she is sneezing. The Pollen set her Asthma off this time. We did talk about low dose antibiotics too. Her last Shot was in Aug. My Vet said they should not have the shot more then 2 times a year. I will talk to them about a Inhaler. I used to take Pred and hated it. I use Qvar now and have for a long time. I have Albuterol as a back up when my Asthma acts up. My Vet did tell me Sepo can cause Diabetis.
post #11 of 16
I have a Siamese with asthma. The Flovent cost $158.00 it has 120 sprays..4 puffs per day it only last a monthish. very expensive. My vet just told me I should try buying it from a candian pharmacy. She wrote out a prescription and I just sent the order in this week. It is going to cost alot less the price is240 doses for $104.00 free shipping on orders over $99.00 So i'm getting twice as much for $54.00 less .If you are going to have to use a inhaler then this is the most cost effect way to go. I use the Aero Kat Mask which was around $65.00.. My vet says the shot is not a good idea at all long term. Nor is taking Prendisone pills.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
Thanks,
She said it has a Mask and a Spacer. Last year when she got the Bladder Infection I think the Shot might have set it off. It started about a month after. The Vet did tell me the shot can give her a infection again. I have Asthma too and know how Coco feels whe it acts up. Now her Nose is running alot and she is sneezing. The Pollen set her Asthma off this time. We did talk about low dose antibiotics too. Her last Shot was in Aug. My Vet said they should not have the shot more then 2 times a year. I will talk to them about a Inhaler. I used to take Pred and hated it. I use Qvar now and have for a long time. I have Albuterol as a back up when my Asthma acts up. My Vet did tell me Sepo can cause Diabetis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenandcats View Post
I have a Siamese with asthma. The Flovent cost $158.00 it has 120 sprays..4 puffs per day it only last a monthish. very expensive. My vet just told me I should try buying it from a candian pharmacy. She wrote out a prescription and I just sent the order in this week. It is going to cost alot less the price is240 doses for $104.00 free shipping on orders over $99.00 So i'm getting twice as much for $54.00 less .If you are going to have to use a inhaler then this is the most cost effect way to go. I use the Aero Kat Mask which was around $65.00.. My vet says the shot is not a good idea at all long term. Nor is taking Prendisone pills.
How often do your cats have an attack? Is it year round?
Molly has seasonal asthma. Some days/weeks she is fine but some days she coughs a lot. It only happens the beginning of spring and the beginning of fall. My vet didn't recommend any medicine for how since long term use is harmful. She has allergy pills we are to give her twice a day when her asthma acts up.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Cocos Asthma gets real bad if she gets a Cold and when Pollen is bad. Its not bad everyday. My Vet did tell me its not good long term either. Her last Shot was in August and she had a big lump that scared me. It took 2 months to go away. My Vet also told me Siamese and Siamese Mixis get Asthma more then other Breeds for some reason. Coco is half Siamese but you can not really tell because she is Black and White. All her littermates were Siamese looking. My Sister was going to get one of the Siamese but Coco was the only one left. The Pollen does bother Coco very much. Dust,Cat Foods and alot of other stuff bugs her too.
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
I just picked Coco up and touched her where the Shot was. she cried there is a lump again just like last time. I wonder how long it will take to go away.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mews2much View Post
I just picked Coco up and touched her where the Shot was. she cried there is a lump again just like last time. I wonder how long it will take to go away.
Awww poor baby. I hope she gets some relief though.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks, I hope it will not take 2 months to go away again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Coco is going to the Vet for her Asthma