All Wet Food Diet for Kitten?

kala&gus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My 4.5 month kitten, Gus, has had problems digesting hard food ever since I adopted him at 2 months. The shelter fed him Science Diet hard food so he was on that when he first came to live with me. I also feed a little canned food twice a day - Nutro Natural Choice and Nutro Max canned for kittens. At first I didn't notice anything wrong and his poops were normal. After about a week he started having diarrhea and vomitting about once a day. He went to the vet and was tested for parasites, worms, etc. and nothing was found. I gradually switched his dry food to Nutro Natural Choice Indoor for Kittens and continued with the same canned. Things were a little better than returned to diarrhea and vomitting once a day. I took a second fecal sample to the vet and nothing was found. I have taken him completely off the hard food and just fed wet to try to find the cause of the diarrhea and vomitting. He does a lot better on an only wet food diet, no vomitting. But I do want to have a little dry out while I'm at work or away for a long period of time. So I tried California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice. Things were ok for a couple days but returned to vommitting (diarrhea never really went away). I've also noticed some lumps in his face and around his neck that the vet said were from play fighting with our other kitten (9 months). He has also scratched himself pretty hard a couple times and once drew blood. I'm wondering if he has an allergy but the ingredients in California Natural are all found in the canned food I'm feeding. The vet says if he does fine on all wet, just feed all wet. But I would really like to have a little dry in his diet.

Sorry for the long post! Does anyone have suggestions on what could be going on? Thanks so much for any help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
possible allegrgy to chicken??

have they tested for cociddia and giardia??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kala&gus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he was tested for coccidia and giardia twice and there were negative both times.

I have heard chicken can be an allergen but the canned food he does pretty well on has chicken in it...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IS it chicken based Ie first or second ingrediant??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kala&gus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are the main ingredients from the 2 flavors of Nutro cans he eats most:

Can #1: Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Lamb, Cod, Ground Rice, Turkey, Rice Bran, Dried Egg Product, Wheat Gluten

Can #2: Chicken Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Cod, Ground Rice, Dried Egg Product

So it looks like Chicken is definitely the second ingredient.

These are the main ingredients for California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice dry food:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed

I just don't understand why he can stomach the canned but not the dry when the main ingredients both contain chicken and rice.

He doesn't do well on grain free either - always vomits a few hours after eating, maybe they're too rich for him? Both the grain frees I've tried (Wellness for Kitten canned and Natures Variety Instinct Chicken Meal dry) were Chicken based though...

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kala&Gus

These are the main ingredients from the 2 flavors of Nutro cans he eats most:

Can #1: Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Lamb, Cod, Ground Rice, Turkey, Rice Bran, Dried Egg Product, Wheat Gluten

Can #2: Chicken Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Cod, Ground Rice, Dried Egg Product

So it looks like Chicken is definitely the second ingredient.

These are the main ingredients for California Natural Chicken and Brown Rice dry food:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed

I just don't understand why he can stomach the canned but not the dry when the main ingredients both contain chicken and rice.

He doesn't do well on grain free either - always vomits a few hours after eating, maybe they're too rich for him? Both the grain frees I've tried (Wellness for Kitten canned and Natures Variety Instinct Chicken Meal dry) were Chicken based though...
He might not be able to handle the flaxseed in California Natural. That seems to be a fairly common allergy.