To deCLAW or leave the CLAWS

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...That is the question. Ok ...not sure if this question should go in this forum. But, I have a declawing question for you guys. I have NEVER had a cat declawed before and have always assumed it would cause the cat discomfort or infection. I'm sure this is not always so because alot of ppl do get their (indoor) cats declawed.
Well, because of my mom at home she would love to have Myla on her bed but Myla being the little playfull thing she tends to claw. PLus, like most cats, furniture is a fun thing to scratch. LOL!
Myla is now about 8 months old...what are you opinions on getting her declawed?
Thanx! <3333

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I highly suggest you do a search for declawing, there are quite a few threads about it. Also, TCS is a very anti-declaw site

Rule 3. This website considers declawing a drastic way to curb cat behavior. A painful ordeal for your kitty we would suggest that declawing never be considered for any behavioral issue. Health issues are entirely different. It is up to you as a responsible pet owner to explore all the different options available instead of declawing. Your cat is dependant on you to make wise choices for her, and not put her into any more stress or discomfort. Please be a responsible pet owner and research this subject thoroughly. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself. Declaw - More than Just a Manicure. Hopefully those of you with claw-related problems will find solutions by spending time in our Behavior Forum.

and you will find that many members are very passionate about not declawing, myself included. I believe your initial feelings about declawing, ie, it causing pain and discomfort, are spot on.

*REMINDER* please keep this discussion civil

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

So the kitten claws the bed? She will probably outgrow this, this is kitten stuff, being all wild and crazy all the time.
A better route would be to put soft paws on her (cheaper too) and then she can't harm your things. Also, redirect her to things she can claw on, like cat trees and fun things to cats that you have bought her to play with like toys, posts, and cat stuff

And get her used to clipping her nails. I clip my cat with claws once a week. You can wrap them up in a towel armed with treats and clip away, taking care not to cut the quick. I keep mines nails so short she can't snag her nails on anything either. She is great about only clawing her own things. She never hurts humans or claws us ever.

I hear declawed kitties will have behavioral issues from declawing, not all, but with my luck mine would be the one if I ever decided to declaw.
There goes going in the litterbox (ew!) and being a sweet kitty.

Plus, I live with dogs and I want my kitty (indoor only) to have her claws if she ever gets outside by a freak accident and needs to use them for any self defense reasons. Plus, it is just healthier. If you watch cats they do like to stretch with their claws and paws, it is natural for the cat, the way it is suppose to be. Have you seen what they actually do when they declaw a cat? It makes my heart sink.
I think there are lots of better, more humane, safer options than declaw. I think you do too, otherwise you wouldn't have been concerned and asked here

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest way to explain why declawing is inhumane is to look at your fingers. Cats claws are in essence located where our fingernails our - attached to the first joint. Declawing removes not just the claw but also the finger all the way to the first joint. This understandably is painful to walk on, especially for cats who walk on their toes to begin with.

The more humane thing to do would be to accustom her to getting her claws trimmed early on. Its a pretty easy thing to do - all you have to do is grab a little paw and put some pressure near the toes - claws should extend enough for you to just snip the end off with trimmers that you can buy at the pet store.

Much nicer to their little toes and yours too!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cousin's cat Bosco was a ferral cat and didn't adjust well to being kept inside the vet recomended to them that they have him declawed. Which they did... I can't say I agree with their decision because Sibohan was a wild cat also and has ( with time) adjusted well to indoor living and trimming of claws.

I believe it is EXTREEMLY important to weigh all of the information. Cats can have severe problems after a declawing includeing but not limited to constant pain, psycological problems such as loss of bladder control etc. Thankfully that didn not happen with Bosco but he is not in the majority.

If you look on a lot of sites like "Craigslist" and the sort you will see many more declawed cats looking for new homes.... ever wonder why? possibly because of the outbursts they have had since their declawing!?

I later explained it to my cousin that declwing was like having your fingers amputated at the first nuckle... she was shocked. So I say Read the information provided on this site and others and think... if you were your cat's pet would you want it done to you?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally do not agree with declawing any cat, but if it is the differnce between a good home or no home that's differnt. I would think that 8 months is too old. I know vets will still do it, but the heavier they get the more painful. If the main situation is clawing when on the bed with your mother, why not invest in some soft paws? That should work to stop the issue without causing pain to the kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow...BIG THANX to each and every one of you guys for confirming my decision here.
MYLA WILL KEEP HER PRECIOUS LIL CLAWS!

I am really glad I had made a thread inquiring about the subject before I went ahead and doing it. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who was pretty much against it. I luv my lil Myla and the last thing I would ever want is to cause her any type of discomfort. She alread went through that while she was at the shelter.

Thank you again!!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I personally do not agree with declawing any cat, but if it is the differnce between a good home or no home that's differnt. I would think that 8 months is too old. I know vets will still do it, but the heavier they get the more painful. If the main situation is clawing when on the bed with your mother, why not invest in some soft paws? That should work to stop the issue without causing pain to the kitty.
"soft paws" ...interesting. Please explain.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft Paws are little plastic caps that go over the cats nails. You have to replace them about once a month, but they make it so the cat can't scratch anything. I'll post a link for their page. Also, it's not difficult to cut a cats nails. If you are unsure of how to do it, ask your vet or a groomer to show you. I cut my cats nails weekly and they are so dull they can't scratch anything.

http://www.softpaws.com/

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you changed your mind. In fact I had never heard of declawing cats until I started researching how to hand raise a kitten. As far as I know its either illegal or never been done in Australia. And we don't have soft paws either. You'll have a much happier, healthier kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO NO NO. Many declawed cats suffer physical or emotional problems after a declaw. If not done right, you risk the deformed claw growing back and requireing another declaw surgery. Some cats don't walk right after and cannot climb or jump as well as before.

The emotional problems are far greater (IMO). They can start to bite more in self defense, hide out of fear or the worse one, decide not to use the litter pan cause it hurts their feet and instead choose your clothes, rugs, carpet, or bed to pee/poop.

Instead of resorting to an inhumane thing try:

1. Clipping the nails at least once a week - clip and check as needed.

2. Use Soft Paws nail caps.

3. Get a good treehouse (minimum of 4 feet tall) for the climbing and scratching exercise.

Declawing is like cutting off the 1st joint of your fingers - not just taking the fingernails off !

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

NO NO NO. Many declawed cats suffer physical or emotional problems after a declaw. If not done right, you risk the deformed claw growing back and requireing another declaw surgery. Some cats don't walk right after and cannot climb or jump as well as before.

The emotional problems are far greater (IMO). They can start to bite more in self defense, hide out of fear or the worse one, decide not to use the litter pan cause it hurts their feet and instead choose your clothes, rugs, carpet, or bed to pee/poop.

Instead of resorting to an inhumane thing try:

1. Clipping the nails at least once a week - clip and check as needed.

2. Use Soft Paws nail caps.

3. Get a good treehouse (minimum of 4 feet tall) for the climbing and scratching exercise.

Declawing is like cutting off the 1st joint of your fingers - not just taking the fingernails off !
Again i'm so very glad I came to you guys for advice on the subject.

Now I do have a question on the nail clipping. Personally, i'd be afraid to do it myself for the fact of possible cutting her skin or harming her. Would it be best to take her to a groomer?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bea thanks you for not declawing. Put her name in the search & take a peek at her threads.

As for nail clipping. Many vets will show you how to clip nails. What I did was have the vet show me the first time. The second time, I cut some of the nails myself with his assistance. From then on, I've been successful at doing it myself.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can take her to a groomer or your vet and ask them to show you how to trim nails. Its not hard and once you establish a routine, they get used to it.

I start trimming nails on kittens at 3-4 weeks of age

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least on my cats, its pretty easy to see the quick, where the blood vessels and what not are. Its no problem to clip their claws, and I've never once nicked them. But that might depend on each cat, and especially how squiggly they are!