Cats playing with strange objects

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am curious how many of you have cats who periodically play with objects or items you would never think a cat would play with? One of my rescues, Charlie, seems fascinated by metal objects; small screwdrivers, metal bookmarks, refrigerator magnets. He seems to have an attraction to metal and he ignores the common cat toys.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're GUYS, they like mechanical things :-)! Whenever anyone's doing some kind of fixit work around here, the males invariably want to help, and figure out what's happening. The females couldn't care less.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

ignores the common cat toys.
Although my cats have fun with cat toys, they spend more time playing with paper, cardboard, metal things, brooms, rugs, emery boards, bottles, bra straps , grocery bags ....

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys love milk rings & tops, twisty ties from bread bags & q-tips (all played with under supervision of course
)

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forrest will play with anything that has "Velcro". He's obsessed with it. Also, anything that is on a table top must be batted to the floor. This has happened with far too many cell phones recently.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have japanese type hand fans, and Shelly is obsessed with them. He doesn't otherwise tear paper or chew plastic or wood - but he goes nuts trying to bite the fans - whether they're made with wood or plastic - and even if they're just lying there.

Laurie

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Straws, plastic utinsels, the plastic/paper containers that roll of quarters come in, dice, socks and everything else but their cat toys lmao.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie doesn't play with any cat toys. He'll play with ear plugs (the kind on a string), emery boards, and basically anything I throw he'll chase after.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love anything mum brings over, a saw, gardening tools etc. whatever she has they want to take away and play with.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lily has a thing for snowglobes, she sometimes tries to fit her mouth around them.
She has knocked many off of their "happy home" so we don't have them anymore.

nytes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Spaz used to play with poop when she was a kitten
lol, my cat did that too. It was odd, but it turned to horror when he started eating it. We have one that loves plastic milk rings (doesn't eat em thankfully) and one that will bring us socks as a gift.

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jumping in paper bags, wripping up newspaper and going in and out of cardboard boxes, especially with holes cut in them. Isnt it odd that we love to buy all those fancy toys from the pet shops as it makes us feel good, only to find they love the simplest things. My two, their favourite toy over all the years was baco foil squashed into a small tight ball. Dillon used to actually fetch it and bring it back, like a dog.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stumpy and Spanky love to play with the dogs.

Given a chance, Koko will find a way to play with any object in the house. She's obsessed with throw rugs.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Neely likes to jump in the bathtub and jump out with the strainer that covers the drain so hair doesn't go down. We ended up buying her several of her own to entertain her.