Mini Blinds

mistysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 cats have just about destroyed my mini blinds. I keep them pulled up high enough so that they can look outside and I put the cords up out of their reach. However, they jumped up and pulled one of them down, chewed it to pieces and even chewed the cord!! I knew which one chewed the cord, it was Midnight. I kept a close eye on him because I suspected he swallowed some of the cord. Sure enough, he did. This is gross, but when he went to go poo in the litter box, the cord wouldn't come completely out so he scooted his little butt everywhere. I cornered him and using a paper towel, tugged ever so gently to help him pass it. It came out easily, but I was horrified to see that it was at least 6 inches long! I know this is TMI (too much information). What is it about mini blinds and cats? I don't want the world to be able to view the inside of my house, but I don't want my cats being harmed by mini blinds either. It looks like I will soon have to take them all down anyway cause they are too far gone, but what do you suggest I replace the blinds with? I am thinking curtains would get destroyed as well and I am not sure about shades either. Have any of you had this problem and if so, what did you do to solve it?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MistysMom

My 2 cats have just about destroyed my mini blinds. I keep them pulled up high enough so that they can look outside and I put the cords up out of their reach. However, they jumped up and pulled one of them down, chewed it to pieces and even chewed the cord!! I knew which one chewed the cord, it was Midnight. I kept a close eye on him because I suspected he swallowed some of the cord. Sure enough, he did. This is gross, but when he went to go poo in the litter box, the cord wouldn't come completely out so he scooted his little butt everywhere. I cornered him and using a paper towel, tugged ever so gently to help him pass it. It came out easily, but I was horrified to see that it was at least 6 inches long! I know this is TMI (too much information). What is it about mini blinds and cats? I don't want the world to be able to view the inside of my house, but I don't want my cats being harmed by mini blinds either. It looks like I will soon have to take them all down anyway cause they are too far gone, but what do you suggest I replace the blinds with? I am thinking curtains would get destroyed as well and I am not sure about shades either. Have any of you had this problem and if so, what did you do to solve it?
Your problem is very common. I simply thread the cords through the upper slats so that they are between the window and blinds. I can still raise/lower open and close the blinds.

allysh0rty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! Our two indoor kitties have done the same thing to almost all of our blinds in the house. We haven't gotten around to putting new ones up yet, so yes, if you come over, you could probably see in my house!

I've heard though that wooden, bamboo, or metal blinds as opposed to plastic ones are better, because they are harder for them to chew on and tear. They're a bit more expensive than the plastic ones, but when it comes to privacy, sometimes that has to happen. We have yet to buy them, but we will eventually... one day... *sigh* Until then, no peeping Toms!

<--- ha, I made a funny, ha... get it? "Toms" as in "Tomcats"? ha *snort* ha

Okay, I'm done. That was obnoxious, I know. It's late, what can I say!

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most the things in my house got ruined over the years with my cats! Curtains are good, when they are kittens they just swing on them. My Tobes jumped up on the pelmet and hung there not knowing what to do (he was about 7 then). Boy was he long! Oh and the fun of watching them pull themselves along the bottom of the settee with their claws! As long as what you choose is safe for the cats, thats the main thing, then enjoy watching them slowly destroy things! Nothing more boring than a cat that just sleeps in the corner!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have vertical drapes with lace curtains in front. The cats just walk behind the lace and can easily jump onto the window ledge through the verticals.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AllySh0rty

I feel your pain! Our two indoor kitties have done the same thing to almost all of our blinds in the house. We haven't gotten around to putting new ones up yet, so yes, if you come over, you could probably see in my house!

I've heard though that wooden, bamboo, or metal blinds as opposed to plastic ones are better, because they are harder for them to chew on and tear. They're a bit more expensive than the plastic ones, but when it comes to privacy, sometimes that has to happen. We have yet to buy them, but we will eventually... one day... *sigh* Until then, no peeping Toms!
Are yours the 2" pvc type material blinds? If so, man am I in trouble.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am highjacking this thread real quick:

One of our members (I'm sorry, I do not remember the name of the member) lost their cat a while back because kitty got tangled up and hanged in the blind cords..Make sure to keep any cords tucked up out of the cats reach

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stormy my Cat that died last year almost broke her paw in the blinds in 2005. The Neighbors Pit Bull tried to attack them through the window. When I got home I heard terrible screaming and she was hanging by her back Paw and my Coco was fighting with Meeko and her Paw was bloody and bent too. I was very mad and complained to the Mgr. We had to cut Stormy out of the blinds so they were wrecked. Now afterover 2 years of not having blinds in there the Mgr said we have to have them again. I am scared the Cats could get hurt. We have the cords out of reach in here.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I finally replaced my mini-blinds with curtains. The curtains are less easy to destroy, and safer IMO.

ddcarlson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain my blinds are currently in shreds
I don't know what to do either. I have a 6 month old male kitten so im hoping that with alot of NO NO NO he will eventually get it. lol Ha im so sure

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is milo hanging off my curtains in the dining room.

we have aluminium venetians in the lounge and both the kittens have chewed them. i have heard of cats getting caught in the cords so i cut them as short as i could and never pull the blinds up therefore making the cords long.

my plan is to get wooden ventians at some point, and hopefully my chewing devils will leave them alone!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roman blinds, or wooden blinds, unless you want to keep replacing

Actually, my mother (when they had a house) put decorative indoor wooden shutters on the windows.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MistysMom

Have any of you had this problem and if so, what did you do to solve it?
i switched to shades. i have fabric roman shades on the windows in the front of the house.
i have mini blinds in the bedroom, but i have shades - just need to get them cut to fit.
i have shades + curtains in the den - shades were already there [really ugly] i added the curtains. i need at least one room where i can make it really dark for when i have a migraine.
other than fur deposits, no damage to my roman shades or curtains has occurred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I keep the cord that raises the blinds up and down way up high out of the way, but they had chewed through the cord that is woven throughout the length of the blind. I am gonna try curtains next. Thanks for all of your replies and help!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any type of blinds are very dangerous for them, especially if already tempted. Maia's BFF, CeCe, was almost strangled by the cord! Danielle heard a scuffle and went in her room to find CeCe all twisted up in the cord and blinds!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4 little spoiled babies have trashed my mini blinds, but they were old and brittle when we moved in here, and I will replace the ones that you can tell were destroyed by cats when I move out. I have cut the loops out of all the blinds they have access to so they cannot get caught in them. If I keep them raised enough that they can see out, they keep their little paws off, but I am not taking any chances. My house sits way back off the road, and nobody here walks around the house unclothed, so I don't worry too much about anyone seeing in, and the windows are high of the ground, it would be hard for anyone to climb in unseen by by nosy old neighbor. I kinda like having him across the street. It can be a little annoying, but he is a very nice retired Marine, and keeps an eye on the cul-de-sac we live in, and will not hesitate to take appropriate action if he sees something out of normal.

casienjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have miniblinds as well, and I just picked one window and elevated the blinds a little so kitty could see outside. When I want some extra privacy, I put pillows in front of the window so she can still see out from behind the pillows. I have yet to have damage to any blinds.