Best Guesses on How Much Longer?

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, Ms Friskers is the confusing one, to be sure... so here's everything I know in the hopes that through collective intelligence and knowledge and experience, maybe I can get some idea whether I'm looking at today, tomorrow, or still maybe a week to go.

I don't know the exact date of conception, because she's a stray taken in. Right now, based on when I know she was pinked up, she's definitely at least at week 8, but maybe nearer to day 63-64. So hopefully if can give some ideas how she's behaving and how she is physically, you guys can help me narrow it down. The internet is SO not helpful on this topic. "Restless and anxious" is useless with a cat you've only seriously known for two weeks... give me physical symptoms!

So yesterday was a big day. I got back from class and my beau told me she spent all day hiding under things: dresser, the low part of my desk, and at one point he spent several hour looking for her only to find she had gone under the part here my blankets hang over the foot of my bed (which is flat on the floor, no under space) making a little tiny tent area. She had finally settled into a corner behind a box of sewing supplies, behind my folding table. So I tugged out the sewing supplies, replaced it with a birthing box I made for her, tugged her out of the spot she was in, tucker her into the box, filled her little gap with pillows so she couldn't return (carpet!), and she settled happily into the box and stayed there for the next 6 hours and I was SO SURE that that was the night.

Then, after 6 hours of lying in there, wanting tummy rubs and love, she came out, scarfed a bunch of food, and starting lounging around on the floor again. AH!

So now I turn to you all for help. Does that mean she's close? Was that some sort of warm up?

Physically, she's big. If I put my hand on her tummy, I can feel kittens moving more or less continuously, and definitely at least one every second. You can see movement from the outside about once every second, though it's a bit hard because her fur is so dense. Her vulva is swollen. I have NOT been taking her temp, since she is a rescue, and I don't want to piss her off. Her activity level is super low: just sleeping, 90% of the time. She likes to be near me, and she likes being petted quite a lot.

Help?

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Dill the lat 3 days before delviery....About 24 hours before she delivered tho she STOPPED eating, and she didnt want her belly touched, as well she had a big mucous thing come out of her(night before) then it happened, she wasnt vocal with me or loud she just wanted to be alone and sleep.....When it is time you will know....I wish I could help more but from my experience there is NO surefire way to know when, not even a vet sometimes....lol.....Good luck

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When you see their belly visually drop and their milk GLANDS fill with milk that is a sure way to know it's soon. Sophie's belly dropped the day before she had kittens and her milk came in the day before. Good luck with your kitty I hope she goes soon!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twix's glands have been getting bigger and bigger by the day! Today they are FULL! Each cat is different, but Twix is a very affectionate cat (right now
), and this morning all she wants is for me to pet her. Before yesterday she didnt really want me touching her belly, but yesterday she actually flopped over so I could rub it. And last night (early this morning) she kept jumping on me while I slept. Today I tried to check under her tail to see what's going on and I 'think' I may have noticed a clump of discharge, but I really couldnt get a goo luck as she DEFINITELY didnt want me touching her tail.

I bet my daughter that I would be up all night tonight. Which would figure since I have to go to Pittsburgh all day with my son tomorrow. My daughter thinks she will deliver tomorrow when I am at the hospital. <sniff> <sniff> <--cruel thought daughter

Anyway, it's kind've a crap shot if you dont know the mate-date. BUT... I like to enjoy them while they are preggo. A lot of queens are so affectionate at this stage, and I get a kick out of feeling the babies move around.

They grow up so fast I hate to see them go. LOL

Anyway, good luck - and I hope your wait is anxiety-free and the delivery, smooth!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys -- I'm just getting so impatient! I want kittens!!!

Another thing I've noticed that's quite odd is that when I'm petting her, she'll swish her tail from the base, the way cats usually do when they're angry, but she otherwise seems really happy... maybe just a backwards cat?

It is SO fun feeling the little ones moving around inside her. I keep trying to guess how many there are. I think at least three based on where I feel them moving around, but who knows?

I don't think I've noticed her milk come in, so I guess I'll be waiting for that now...

Come on Ms Friskers go go go!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

Thanks guys -- I'm just getting so impatient! I want kittens!!!

Another thing I've noticed that's quite odd is that when I'm petting her, she'll swish her tail from the base, the way cats usually do when they're angry, but she otherwise seems really happy... maybe just a backwards cat?

It is SO fun feeling the little ones moving around inside her. I keep trying to guess how many there are. I think at least three based on where I feel them moving around, but who knows?

I don't think I've noticed her milk come in, so I guess I'll be waiting for that now...

Come on Ms Friskers go go go!
Rags was swishing her tail like that for a couple of weeks. I NEVER felt movement and I never saw milk drip or felt swelling in the glands. As a matter of fact, other than being big and getting kind of restless on the last couple of days, Rags didn't have any of the classic signs. I never saw her lose her mucous plug, either. She's still big in the tummy after having 6 kittens today. I don't know whether that means she isn't finished or maybe she just gained too much weight on all the good food I've been giving her!

I understand your anxiety. I had been hoping for babies since March 11! That's when I brought her in and thought she was about to pop!

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooo... Friskers-poo has been letting me rub her tummy! She had stopped letting me do that for quite some time, but now she's really getting into it again. Don't know what that means, but it's a change, so I'm taking it as a positive sign, because I want kittens! Kittens kittens kittens!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rags wanted me to rub, rub, rub her tummy the day before she delivered! She hadn't been all that crazy about tummy rubs before! Good !!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sophie also loved her belly rubbed the day before and the day she had kittens. I hope you get babies soon.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elsa never had a single sign of impending labor, although I'd only had her for about 3 weeks. The only thing that was different the night before she delivered is that she was so big she couldn't lie on her side, she had to lie on her back. She didn't come and get me or anything - I was woken up by hearing little kitten voices in the middle of the night.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rags didn't call for me, either. I found her with babies in the morning. She did have one while I sat with her though, and she seemed to appreciate the company.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sophie had hers so fast that it was just luck that I happened to be in the room at the time. I actually had her upside down in my lap checking her and a baby started coming out. Literally
I kind of freaked out lol. I gently put her back in her cage and let her do her thing.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Sophie had hers so fast that it was just luck that I happened to be in the room at the time. I actually had her upside down in my lap checking her and a baby started coming out. Literally
I kind of freaked out lol. I gently put her back in her cage and let her do her thing.

One of our fosters was in the kitchen for breakfast, my youngest daughter was filling their dishes, when she brought her out and asked me what was wrong with her. "Mom, she has a bubble coming out of her butt"

LOL

She was having a kitten, and in the kitchen eating with the other cats.

PIG

BTW - I am home now - Twix *did* hold out through the day
Mean Daughter was wrong.

If I were a betting woman, I would bet on seeing kittens by morning...

She hasnt touched the dry food I put down for her this morning, last thing she ate was the canned food just before 4 this morning. Since I've been home (about 2 hours now) she's been in and out of her covered box. Once she was laying on the floor sleep and woke up with a meow. Who knows... right now she in on my bed sleeping.

One thing I know... she feels so full I think she may split open
that's one way to deliver I guess

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

Oooo... Friskers-poo has been letting me rub her tummy! She had stopped letting me do that for quite some time, but now she's really getting into it again. Don't know what that means, but it's a change, so I'm taking it as a positive sign, because I want kittens! Kittens kittens kittens!
Twix is doing that too!
She went from letting me rub it if I pet her head, to not letting me rub it at_all, to not only letting me rub it, but flopping over to beg for it. Today she is lifting her leg when I rub it

BUT

as I type she has jumped to the floor and is eating.

HA HA

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friskers has still been eating -- much less though -- I'm guessing since she was a stray, she isn't going to stop eating entirely, it would be going too much against her instincts. She's been just sleeping sleeping sleeping all day long (I have been too though, have a nasty head cold)... boring! Have some kittens!

She's gone back to NOT wanting her tummy rubbed again, but now she's been grooming my hand, which is a new thing for her.

Ah! Who knows... I was hoping that she might have them tonight, as my beau, who is visiting for the week, is out for the evening with friends, and I thought he might be making her nervous and she might be waiting, but nope, he's gone and she's still just lazing about.

I could see kittens moving just watching over last weekend, so I was REALLY HOPING that tonight might be it... but maybe that was too optimistic... maybe tomorrow? God, I'm so impatient!

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

She's lying under my desk, which I have lifted up on some bricks so it's at a better height for me to write on, with her head smushed up against one brick, and her butt smushed up against another. How is that possibly comfortable, I have to wonder...

I also have to wonder... WHERE ARE THE KITTENS???

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They will come! The waiting is the hardest part!
You will be rewarded some day soon!