TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Woman fined for pink poodle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woman fined for pink poodle

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=87873

I understand the reasoning behind the law. But this woman used beet juice, which isn't toxic to the dog (which is the reasoning behind the law). Not to mention that her heart is in the right place in spreading the message and awareness about breast cancer. I just can't see where she deserves a $1000 fine under the animal cruelty statutes, when they don't prosecute those who really DO deserve it that much.
post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=87873

I understand the reasoning behind the law. But this woman used beet juice, which isn't toxic to the dog (which is the reasoning behind the law). Not to mention that her heart is in the right place in spreading the message and awareness about breast cancer. I just can't see where she deserves a $1000 fine under the animal cruelty statutes, when they don't prosecute those who really DO deserve it that much.
I think I would have lied about it...maybe said something about making beet juice for some health reason, and the dog knocked it over and rolled around in it...*shrug*

But I agree with you.
post #3 of 21
I don't know if that's her dog in the picture.. but that doesn't look like a shade of pink that would come from beet juice. Of course, I've never tried it so I don't know. I remember reading once that there are nontoxic dyes for dogs like that. As long as she didn't use anything harmful, I don't think she deserved to be fined.
post #4 of 21
ive seen pink poodles before but this is the first time ive seen someone fined because of it.
post #5 of 21
I think it's a ridiculous intrepretation of that law. I really doubt the dog cares if it's pink. It may protest wearing the dress, however!

Still. Another wonderful decision made in Boulder.
post #6 of 21
If she wants to support breast cancer awareness- she needs to do so in a manner that does not affect her animals I support Breast Cancer awareness myself through www.savethetatas.com - i do NOT however go around dying my animals and unnecessarly exposing them to things in the process or stressing them out.

Dogs are NOT fashion accessiories and should not be dyed or dressed up. People need to start being responsible and start looking at their dogs as beloved companions- not cute fashion accessories!
post #7 of 21
are poodles really dogs? i always thought they where just big rats, dressed up to look like dogs , so they could get free food.

(for those that have poodles i am kidding)

if the stuff used is not harmful to the dogs then whats the big deal.
they should outlaw dressing up cats in funny colthes. :P hehe
post #8 of 21
Woman Faces $1,000 Fine For Pink Poodle
Dog Dyed To Help Raise Awareness For Breast Cancer


http://www.wmur.com/family/15562174/detail.html


i honestly don't know what to think of this

i'd need to know if dying a dog's fur with beet juice or koolaide was harmful to the animal in some way

what do you think?


i wonder if she does any educating on what happens to unspayed female dogs and cats, how they can get pyometra and i *think* are also more prone to breast cancer, than unspayed animals...........
post #9 of 21
Well our one son thought it would be cool to dye the cats colors for easter. He put a little food color in water and wet down 2 of our white cats.. Didn't hurt them and it washed off in a few days.

He put blue Koolaid on my white rex, Spooky. I came home to a blue cat and asked him "what in the heck did you do?" - he told me and I said, "well it won't hurt him but its too much sugar for him to be licking his coat". So I wash him and got him white again.

But I can understand the authorities - its was a huge problem in dying the chicks/rabbits at Easter time (not sure what they were using) but it did kill a lot of them, so it really should not be done as a regular thing like this woman is doing.

If it was a one time thing, like for Halloween and its washed out, that's different - but she seems to continuing dying her dogs. There are other ways - maybe the dog wearing pink clothes or something.
post #10 of 21
Threads merged.
post #11 of 21
From the second link:

Quote:
Officials at the Humane Society of Boulder Valley told the Daily Camera Douglas was warned several times before she was issued the ticket on March 1.
The first time I can see because maybe she did not know about the law. But to continue doing it (dyeing the dog) knowing there was a law against was wrong on her part. I guess she thought because she was doing this ,as she says, to raise awareness to breast cancer (which is good) the law should not be applied to her. I guess she found out the hard (and expensive way ) that the law applies to her as well. I say pay the fine and she should dye her own hair pink to raise breast cancer awareness or in any other way other than dyeing her dog.
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
But I can understand the authorities - its was a huge problem in dying the chicks/rabbits at Easter time (not sure what they were using) but it did kill a lot of them, so it really should not be done as a regular thing like this woman is doing.
With the chicks, they actually inject the food coloring into the egg to get them that color....it doesn't hurt them, but it's illegal in many places b/c it doesn't encourage proper pet ownership, rather it is more of a spontaneous purchase that doesn't ensure good care for the duration of the chick's life, b/c it will only be a weird color for a short time until it's feathers grow out.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnapt View Post
According to this she was warned several times that she was violating the law and she choose to continue doing it anyway. I have no sympathy...

If she choose to ignore the law because she wants to challenge it, more power to her.

As for what I think about the law myself, I'd have to know more about the reasons behind it.
post #14 of 21
How stupid, just another dumb use of a law. No harm was done, however I wouldn't go coloring any of my animals like that. I believe the purpose of this law, was to stop the dyeing of baby chicks and rabbits for Easter. People would by them for their kids and when they grow up, they want to get rid of them. That part I can understand, but to fine this woman $1000 just because her dog was pink is just stupid!! There was no animal abuse here. I mean, people give their dogs a bath, isn't that traumatic for them? I am sure this dog didn't even know her fur was being colored.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat View Post
How stupid, just another dumb use of a law. No harm was done, however I wouldn't go coloring any of my animals like that. I believe the purpose of this law, was to stop the dyeing of baby chicks and rabbits for Easter. People would by them for their kids and when they grow up, they want to get rid of them. That part I can understand, but to fine this woman $1000 just because her dog was pink is just stupid!! There was no animal abuse here. I mean, people give their dogs a bath, isn't that traumatic for them? I am sure this dog didn't even know her fur was being colored.
Now John.... you mean you won't dye Carmelo pink for Easter? You are a horrible pet parent. Shame on you.










Just kidding. I agree with you by the way.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
Now John.... you mean you won't dye Carmelo pink for Easter? You are a horrible pet parent. Shame on you.










Just kidding. I agree with you by the way.
No, he was already mistaken for a girl as it is by the breeders vet he may not like the pink, but he could be a nice shade of green for St Patrick's day
post #17 of 21
I really hate Boulder County. A part of it decided it was a brillant idea to ban Pit Bulls and go to people's homes and take old family dog Pitties that were kept as cherished pets and never harmed a soul and put them to sleep. And any dog that they think might look like a Pit Bull too, better put that dog to sleep than chance having a Pit Bull living in that place.
Dog breed bans don't work. Denver and Louiseville decided it would, that gives me a sick feeling in my stomach.

Fined for a pink poodle? Why not go after the people who really deserve it? The people who don't even care enough to groom their dog, or give the dog a second thought, who keep it outdoors as a yard ornament without any shelter, attention, or adequate food and water and vet attention? Who are abusive.

I mean, she had her dog on leash didn't she? She wasn't disobeying leash laws? There are incidents that occur that could have been prevented by following the law and keeping pets leashed in public. But people are rarely fined for existing laws like leash laws, instead, the government makes new stricter laws hoping maybe *those* might be followed...

Insanity.
post #18 of 21
I don't see any problem with dying a dog pink unless it is a harmful type of dye. If it is non-toxic and not harmful to the dog, why is it animal abuse?

I used to have a dog with a white patch on her head and I have been known to take non-toxic crayola markers and make her little white patch various colors. The stuff washes out with water...you don't even need soap...how is something like this harmful to the animal? Isn't there something better for people to pick on?
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiron View Post
ive seen pink poodles before but this is the first time ive seen someone fined because of it.
Thats what I was thinking!
post #20 of 21
Here's an update:
http://cbs4denver.com/local/pink.poo....2.676269.html
2 former employees say that she used people hair dye to dye her dogs various colors. For the dogs' sakes, I hope that's not true!!
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
2 former employees say that she used people hair dye to dye her dogs various colors. For the dogs' sakes, I hope that's not true!!
A lot of the semi permanent "funky" colors are made from vegetable dyes and the bottles/tubes say non toxic. ...I'd still rather not put that on a pet.

That said, Sho had a couple purple spots a few years ago. He wouldn't leave me alone and ended up getting some on his side and on a foot. I rinsed then washed him thoroughly, no ill effects.

Seems like a silly waste of time to me. Though if there were no harmful chemicals it would be no worse then a bath - well a couple baths in a row. If a human dye really was used it was probably one of the safer ones and the dog wouldn't have ingested it anyways.
If she wanted to promote breast cancer awareness a bandanna and a pick collar would have probably been enough.

I don't see it as worth a thousand dollar fine - especially if she's a good pet owner in every other way. As others have said, punish those who are neglecting or abusing their animals.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Woman fined for pink poodle