Help, my plant

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at the poor thing. It's dying and I don't know why. I don't water it much because it seems like when I do some of leaves die. I just watered today, last time was about a month ago. It needs re potted but the grounds frozen so I can't get any dirt. I really don't have money for potting soil. I cut a bunch of dead leaves off before I took the pic. Maybe I should put another fertilizer stick in it. Anybody have any tips?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off... water about weekly or get in the habit of checking the soil with your finger.

Second, don't use soil from outside unless you serialize it (bake it in the oven). You do not know what little things are living in the soil and would probably not want to grow a colony of them inside.

Get a very close look at the plant. Make sure there are no little webs on it.

Make sure that window is not leaking any cold air. Cold drafts are not good for plants. It looks like it could use more light as well. If the window doesn't leak set something on that little table to make the plant sit up higher or switch it to another window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

First off... water about weekly or get in the habit of checking the soil with your finger.

Second, don't use soil from outside unless you serialize it (bake it in the oven). You do not know what little things are living in the soil and would probably not want to grow a colony of them inside.

Get a very close look at the plant. Make sure there are no little webs on it.

Make sure that window is not leaking any cold air. Cold drafts are not good for plants. It looks like it could use more light as well. If the window doesn't leak set something on that little table to make the plant sit up higher or switch it to another window.
Thanks for the advice.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just the basic stuff. And I hope that's enough to save your plant. Since the leaves near the bottom look alright, it shouldn't take too much.

I've always been fairly good at growing plants. And usually go over to care for my MIL's... otherwise they'd die.
I can't wait to have space to rebuild the little jungle like I had when I was a kid.

Try looking for some online sites or buy a few used books on house plants at garage sales/local thrift stores.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not use dirt from outside, but it may be the pot it is currently in is too small. Personally, I'd cut all the spindly looking stuff off of it, repot in clean potting mix, and water it. Don't fertilize it until you see new healthy growth.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New potting soil and a bigger pot is needed. Make sure the base of the pot has holes so excess water leaks out. If it has excess water sitting on the bottom of the pot tray, that could also make the leaves yellow. And water less in Winter.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong, because I haven't had plants in years -- but isn't that a dieffenbachia, aka "dumb cane?" If so, it's one of the many houseplants that are toxic to cats (and people too, in this case). Maybe instead of being re-potted, it should be re-homed?

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I could be wrong, because I haven't had plants in years -- but isn't that a dieffenbachia, aka "dumb cane?" If so, it's one of the many houseplants that are toxic to cats (and people too, in this case). Maybe instead of being re-potted, it should be re-homed?
Yep, you're right.
It does need trimmed, badly. Cut it down to just above the nice growth, it should start to bush back out. You can look online for tips on care, they are pretty easy. You can also take the stalks that you cut off & propogate more plants!
I've had them inside before with no ill effects to the cats, but every cat is different. Do your cats leave it alone?

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Indoor houseplants are kinda my hobby
Here's my advice:

First, get some houseplant potting soil at the store. It's not very expensive and well worth it. You should never use outside soil for an inside plant...it will eventually kill it. If you have been using outside soil - just carefully remove the plant, clean off the roots and repot it in houseplant mix.

Your plant which is a dieffenbachia, is sitting in front of a window. Do you let it have full sun with the curtains open? That type of plant really cant handle full sun for any length of time. Yellowing leaves is usually a sign of either too much water or too much sun. Take it away from the window if you have the curtain open and the plant would be in direct sunshine.

Before watering, stick your finger in the soil and make sure it is dry for at least an inch or so from the top. Over watering is the most common cause of houseplant death. I usually water only once every few weeks for larger pots.

If you want it to look better, you can cut it back to the growth with the nice leaves. It will be smaller but will look better and will branch out as it grows.

Hope this helps!
Good luck with your plant.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am pretty sure that is not a Dieffenbachia. It is similar looking, but not the same plant. I cannot think of the correct name for it but I'll do a little searching. The one pictured has almost a woody stem, Dieffenbachias don't.
Edit:
Yep - it is a Dracaena. I just remember calling it a gold dust plant, and I don't think it is toxic to cats.
http://www.plantoasis.com/plants/100...t_dracaena.htm

Edit again - now that I look at your picture closer, i'm not sure. it may be a dieffenbachia...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think it was either. I thought they're leaves were a bit shinier and thicker? Or maybe that's the only type I have ever seen? It's been too many years so I can't remember what that is, but the stems look more like those you'd see on an arrow head plant - slightly vine like if given the right environment.

Outside soil is perfectly fine to use, but you must choose a clean area (no gasoline, oil, or other chemicals) on it and you have to bake it. I mixed in the native soil with potting soil for all the plants I've grown - often adding a bit of fine sand depending on the plant.

Can't say for certain that is a southern window and at this time of year the sunlight will not be as strong in other exposures.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does look very simular to a "dumb cane" plant. I've had it for three years and Popsie has never bothered it. I have five plants in the house and the only one he touches is my spider plant.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still say Dieffenbachia
instead of draceana ......but I won't swear to it without seeing it in person.
However, neither plant should have direct sunlight for any length of time. Filtered sunlight is good.

Most outdoor soil on it's own can be too "dense" and the roots won't get enough oxygen to them. There are things you can use to mix with it to make it work but as strange_wings suggested you should really bake any outside soil to remove any organisms/spores living there. It's much easier just to buy a small bag of houseplant potting soil at the grocery store than to try to mix it yourself.

If it's still in the original soil when you acquired it - leave it there. Just trim it back to the healthy growth...don't water too much and keep it out of direct sunlight - but yet with bright filtered light throughout the day.

I have a house filled to the brim with houseplants and the cats seem to leave them alone. All except a poor 15 year old Christmas Cactus that little Forrest thinks is the funnest thing to leap into and bounce around. It was huge (approx. 3' across) before I adopted Forrest. Now it's just down to a few limbs sticking out here and there. I'm hopeful it will outlive Forrest's kitten and teenage stages.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks root bound.
If you cannot afford a bigger pot and potting soil, I would trim it back, aggressively.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

I have a house filled to the brim with houseplants and the cats seem to leave them alone. All except a poor 15 year old Christmas Cactus that little Forrest thinks is the funnest thing to leap into and bounce around. It was huge (approx. 3' across) before I adopted Forrest. Now it's just down to a few limbs sticking out here and there. I'm hopeful it will outlive Forrest's kitten and teenage stages.
I have a Christmas cactus too, but it's not big enough for Popsie to play in.
It hasn't even bloomed yet and I've had that for three years also.
Does anybody know what plant this is?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, definitely a pothos ivy, aka Devil's Ivy. Also toxic, unfortunately, but still one fabulous plant -- you cannot kill those things!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

It's much easier just to buy a small bag of houseplant potting soil at the grocery store than to try to mix it yourself.
Easier, but years ago I didn't have much options for potting soil and didn't like the texture of it out of the bag. The native soil here is a very rich loam - probably why it worked so well for me.
I'd make up a large amount of it at a time and rebag it.

I miss all the plants I had, especially the calathea and all the marantas.

Most common house plants are mildly toxic, so whatever that plant is it's probably safe to assume it is. Maybe it is a D. compacta? And the leaves just look wrong because the care has been slacked a little? What I said about cold air still holds, it looks like a plant that would be reasonably sensitive to that and most windows leak a little. Low winter humidity could be tough on it too

Edit (yes, I'm slow...)
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh yes, definitely a pothos ivy, aka Devil's Ivy. Also toxic, unfortunately, but still one fabulous plant -- you cannot kill those things!
Oh it's possible. When I went to Michigan with my mother, my father killed every single one of my plants including the pothos despite having a very detailed watering and care guide. I've had to save my MIL's from near death a few times too...