Cleaning tips

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In our apartment we have one of those electric stoves. You know one of the ones with the spiral coils? I'm pretty sure my roommate spilled and cooked something on them because when I went to cook my eggs there was a nasty smell coming off of them and a lot of smoke. Do any of you have any good tips on how I can clean off the coils? A friend of mine said you can't but I doubt that.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're like mine, you can pull them off the stove, and should be able to clean them that way. Just make sure they're completely dry before placing them back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anything in particular I should use to wipe down with?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use soft scrub on our white metal stovetop but we have gas so I guess I can't really say much about the coils. Soft scrub does a great job without being abrasive and porous like the green powder stuff. Just make sure you rinse and rinse, until there's no trace of the cleaning stuff before you cook again.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Yeah, you can pull them out like a plug. I wouldn't submerse them, just clean and wipe.
I didn't know you weren't supposed to submerse them. When I had an electric stove, I'd always leave them soaking in a sink full of water and degreaser and it didn't seem to hurt them. Definitely make sure they are completely dry first before plugging them back in.