Retrain to use litterbox after FLUTD

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our cat was diagnosed with FLUTD. He came back last Tue, things are slowly back to normal for us & him. He's been using the disposable litter tray we placed next to the old litter box.

I know he's associated pain with the old litterbox. It's only been a week and he probably still feel uncomfortable urinating even though he's been producing good amout of urine. What can we do to retrain him to use the old litterbox again? Does thoroughly clean with a different litter help? We invested a litter robot & I'd hate to get rid of it.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had to deal with this problem, but I have always like Cat Attract litter. My cats love it. I tried some Arm & Hammer this week & can hardly wait to get to the pet store & go back to the Cat Attract. I think it does a better job controlling odor. It was formulated by a vet to get cats that had stopped using the box to start using it again. It's a little more expensive than other clumping litter, but worth the money if it works for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion!

How much is the Cat Attract litter? Should I clean the box before putting new litter?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At my Petsmart, CatAttract is roughly $12 for a 20 pound sack - and, there's a booklet inside with instructions, as well as coupons (usually at $1.00 off on future CatAttract purchases, as well as coupons for other Dr. Elsey products).

When my boy had litter box issues, I actually went and just got new boxes as well - just a fresh start overall. The CatAttact worked wonders. Also, I like the way it smells, it seems pretty darn dust-free to me, and I like the way it clumps.

And, once in speaking with someone at the CatAttract web site, they suggested washing the box out with Ivory liquid soap - nonscented. I've been doing that and have had great luck so far.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

At my Petsmart, CatAttract is roughly $12 for a 20 pound sack - and, there's a booklet inside with instructions, as well as coupons (usually at $1.00 off on future CatAttract purchases, as well as coupons for other Dr. Elsey products).

When my boy had litter box issues, I actually went and just got new boxes as well - just a fresh start overall. The CatAttact worked wonders. Also, I like the way it smells, it seems pretty darn dust-free to me, and I like the way it clumps.

And, once in speaking with someone at the CatAttract web site, they suggested washing the box out with Ivory liquid soap - nonscented. I've been doing that and have had great luck so far.
I'm glad to hear it works for cats with litter box issues. I used it just because I liked it and they didn't seem to mind it. I really feel it does a better job on odor than any other brand. It can be mixed with other clumping litters, but they suggest a fresh start for cats that have litter box issues. I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus because it's a little cheaper, but PetSmart is around $12 - $13 a bag. When I first started using it I tested it against a corn based litter & they used the cat attract twice as much as the other litter. They do also make a litter additive, but I just buy the litter.