Milk production before labor?

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick Q I bet you two or at least someone reading along knows the answer to: do you always see milk production that is really obvious before labor begins? My pregnant kitty is a semi-feral, and sometimes will let me touch her tummy, but more often than not, I get a good firm bite or slash for the luxury, so I'm not able to feel her nipples very much. Is it likely I'll notice her lactating visually or does that only happen in some cats to that degree?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's hard to see sophie's nipples or milk glands because she has medium length hair. I could only feel them swollen. I'm no expert though. But i'm sure someone could help you more than me. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A kindly mod moved this out of the thread it was in, so I'd like to bump it and restate my question: Ms Friskers has been acting a bit labor-y, with some nesting (trying to climb under my blankets on the bed! No Ms Friskers the bed is not a place to have kittens!) and such, BUT she is not lactating. I was wondering if ALL cats lactate before birth, or not...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a cat produce milk without stimulation while pregnant. However ONCE I was able to express milk on a cat 2 days before a litter was born.

Expressing milk from a cat isnt the easiest though... I seen a vet try unsuccessfully 2 days post-delivery.

You may; however, be able to feel fuller mammary glands.

Hope your waiting goes smooth!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was able to express milk from Sophie 1.5 weeks before she delivered. Her milk glands weren't swollen until the day before she gave birth.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ms Friskers, I believe, is answering this question herself, as she is cuddled up inside her birthing box, breathing heavily, and looking very intent on not moving for quite a long time. And definitely not lactating. Fingers crossed for birth prior to midnight, since I have class at 9am tomorrow morning!

(Don't think she'll be nearly so convenient, but I can wish!)

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go Ms Friskers! I am hoping Twix has hers tonight, but I am almost convinced she will have them Thursday while I am 150 miles away with my son in the hospital all day.

Or, my other theory is she will have me up all night Wednesday and I will be a tired mess on Thursday.

What we go through for our kiddies - skins and furrs! LOL

dillpickles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dill had colostum for about 2 weeks before and the day before she actually had MILK.....its a diferent colour.....Colostrum is clear milk white, not all cats do this but mine did.

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pennie is due anytime and just started getting bags of milk in this morning. I expect kittens within 48 hours. We'll see.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rags never dripped milk and I couldn't even express any until after she gave birth. She has plenty now, though. The babies have little milk bellies! When one of them is off of a nipple I can express some.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theallis5

Pennie is due anytime and just started getting bags of milk in this morning. I expect kittens within 48 hours. We'll see.
Yay! MORE BABIES! I LOVE 'EM.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe Ms Friskers will give in to peer pressure...
"Go in to labor, Ms Friskers, it's what all the cool pregnant cats are doing!"