So MAD with work!!!! (long rant, sorry)

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so angry with my boss!!!

Today we had the health and safety inspectors round - so our boss has made sure that we definitely stick to ALL of the H&S rules. Of course, that all went really well, but we were all supposed to get individual interviews with these guys, to get anything off our chests if we had something that was bothering us. I made it perfectly clear that I wanted to talk to them, and I was DENIED that opportunity!!
I asked when I would get to speak to them, and my boss told me that they didn't need to, because they'd already spoken to her and my two other colleagues - like I don't count! I'm employed there too, don't I matter?!

I wanted to have a word with them about the work I do - it's very physical - I take care of the cats outside (two seperate areas - one for wild cats, one for mothers with small kittens), the yard and the cats' garden, the plants and I'm responsible for keeping the sheds, the buildings and the pavements outside all nice. Now it's really physical work, and I only have four hours a day to manage to do all these tasks. If I have to take care of 20 wild cats and a full house of mothers and kittens, it can take me 4 hours just to do that alone! But I also have a yard to sweep, a lawn to mow - in an area I can't stand up straight in and with a HEAVY lawnmower on wheels, plants to get planted, weeds to pull and bushes to give the usual topiary treatment to... the list goes on and on..... and on!

I wanted to talk to these guys about the lack of communication, the fact that I've got twice as much really physical work to do as everyone else, but in less time than them - and the fact that I even get called in on weekends (a phone call from my boss at 7am telling me to go in) if it snows to shovel it - WITHOUT pay!!
No, those hours I get back in time off.... I can't AFFORD time off, I don't get enough money as it is! If I do get paid, I get paid at a much lower rate than my usual hourly rate during the weeks...

I don't know what you guys think, but somehow that doesn't seem quite fair! It's hurtful enough that she won't listen to me, but it's even worse that she won't let me talk to the people that WILL listen. I'm giving serious consideration to going straight to the director and speaking to him about it all instead. But I know that if I do, my boss will get wind of it, and then I'll really be for the executioners block. I put in a request with my other boss to get to speak to the H&S guys, so hopefully they'll be back another day.

I'm just so furious that I could scream!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely speak to your boss or someone about not getting paid when your called in..

Unless you have a contract that states that you agree to it, banking hours is illegal except in cases of over-time and then you have to be paid for those banked hours on a week when you work less then standard....Here in Canada that is 44..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I would definitely speak to your boss or someone about not getting paid when your called in..

Unless you have a contract that states that you agree to it, banking hours is illegal except in cases of over-time and then you have to be paid for those banked hours on a week when you work less then standard....Here in Canada that is 44..
Banking hours is not illegal here in Denmark - my contract states nothing other than just 20 hours per week. That's it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn't want you to talk to the officials because she KNEW you would have negative things to say. She also knows she has a workhorse in you and that she doesn't want to ruin her "good thing."

I don't know what to tell you. Can you talk to her and be strong about it? Talk about the unfair distribution of work load, etc.? Don't be surprised if she doesn't want to hear it or acts badly... and if some of your work does get shifted to other people, that they get really hissy with you. I would imagine that everyone likes the status quo except you.

If you do have this talk and are prepared for the negative response, maybe start looking for another job? I don't know what things are like in Denmark economically right now... they are not good here in Michigan. But no one should be abused in their job, period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already tried to talk to her about it a few times, but the response has never been positive. I do have another colleague who is in the same position as I am, and she will be making a stand over it too. We both love our jobs, but we really need to have someone realise that it's not ALL good. We do have a new director, so hopefully he's better at taking things on board than the last one. I am looking for a new job at the moment - but it's difficult for me given the lack of education. That's something I want to remedy this year, but I have to have the finances to do it with! At least I've saved some money for it...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I've already tried to talk to her about it a few times, but the response has never been positive. I do have another colleague who is in the same position as I am, and she will be making a stand over it too. We both love our jobs, but we really need to have someone realise that it's not ALL good. We do have a new director, so hopefully he's better at taking things on board than the last one. I am looking for a new job at the moment - but it's difficult for me given the lack of education. That's something I want to remedy this year, but I have to have the finances to do it with! At least I've saved some money for it...
Yeah, sometimes it's best if we rescue ourselves from bad situations. Have been there done it. And even though I have a university degree, I, too, am contemplating going back to school for some technical training.