tomcat still after female after she was spayed

catman142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had two formerly feral cats spayed last week, and are taming them and converting them into pets. Before the spaying was done, a local tomcat was hanging around and impregnated both of them.

Now that the cats are spayed, he is still around, and if I'm not mistaken, he sprayed one of them, which caused the two females to fight with one another. Before this incident, the two females are extremely close. (I believe they are from the same litter.)

1. Can another pregnancy be possible?

Thanks

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spays are final. No more kittens for them.

You said just a week ago, it's very likely that they came home from the vet smelling "weird". Local tom recognizes them as his girls, but is confused by the change and their change in smell. My guess is that he wanted to fix the matter by making them smell better... at least to him.
Now the girls smell weird to each other too and have the stress of spaying/healing on top of that.
Provided that he did actually spray one, they may just be responding to the vet smells making them smell different to each other.

I don't know how to tell you do proper reintroductions outside. You could try vanilla on the top of nose and base of the tail (I think that's right? or was it under the chin?), but I know that may be tricky with ferals.
The other option is just seeing if they'll calm down and settle things on their own. If outside they'll have enough room to avoid each other so things shouldn't escalate too far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the reply. As of now, they're both sleeping in the garage in their basket, and seem back to normal.

I just wonder if the tomcat will stop bothering them. Hopefully so.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once he realizes he can't breed with them he'll not bother them for that. But he'll still see the area as his territory and they are other cats, so he will interact with them in some way.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toms only have one thing on their mind, and that is to mate. They often don't care if the girl is in heat or not, and doesn't recognize that a female has been spayed.

Until he is neutered he will probably keep after your girls.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Toms only have one thing on their mind, and that is to mate. They often don't care if the girl is in heat or not, and doesn't recognize that a female has been spayed.

Until he is neutered he will probably keep after your girls.
unfortunately i have (or rather my tabitha) has had first hand experience with this. she was spayed at 8 months after becoming very interested in the neighbourhood boys. she will be 9 in june.

about 3 years ago she was raped by the local tom cat. i came home and the first thing i noticed was the stench. i found tabby huddled on the dining room chair, she had messed herself and her rear end was filthy. i took her straight to the vet who confirmed that she had been raped. he thought that she may have had some uterus tissue left inside her from when she was spayed which would still cause her to be attractive to the boys.

my rb cat sinbad, who was neutered at 6 months, always displayed a lot of interest in her. because they were so close it was never a problem, but he would mount her, biting her neck. that was as far as it went and she would give him a cuff for being so cheeky!

so i would agree with missymotus, a tom cat will go for anything furry. i have also heard of young males being raped too.

i would keep a very close eye on your girls.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I've never personally seen toms pursue spayed females like that - but I have never had spayed girls on their own, there has always been a larger neutered alpha male around. So maybe that's why?

Originally Posted by tab

a tom cat will go for anything furry. i have also heard of young males being raped too.
I wonder if this is what happened to a extremely insecure semi feral boy I have. At around a year and a half old his mother brought him over here from the neighboring property (neighbors care for her), and here he stayed. Fattened him up and neutered him, but he still cowers from other cats. He uses my neutered alpha male, who he's somewhat comfortable with, for protection and I myself if I see a neighbor cat bothering him. It goes beyond being a submissive cat, he will not lift his butt even an inch from the ground (not even for "I'm going to fight" stance) until he has someone to rescue him... even then he'll go so far as to back towards me. I hope to move soon and make him a house cat - if he doesn't have a bad spraying habit.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just my two cents but does someone own this tomcat and can they be told they need to neuter their cat? If not, can he be caught and taken to a no-kill shelter? He needs to be off the streets!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the females have been spayed, they cannot be pregnant. Are you planning on getting him neutered. He will still act like a tom (fighting/mating) until you do. And he will be able to get any unspayed female pregnant up to 2 months after he's neutered.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take the male into a low cost clinic and have him done too. Some places even do it for free for ferals. If he is truly a feral. Or call around to your local shelters and see if they can offer any advice. Do it soon before kitten season starts and they are swamped with people wanting to bring in cats and kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catman142

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all the responses...I think the male is feral. He seems to live in the woods behind my house; which is where the girls came from as well. Got home from work today, and they are fine, and haven't fought each other any more, as far as I can tell.

In this area, there is nowhere to have the male neutered without a charge, and I don't have the financial resources to fix any more cats at this time. we may convert the girls into house cats at some point.

Thanks again...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catman142

In this area, there is nowhere to have the male neutered without a charge, and I don't have the financial resources to fix any more cats at this time. we may convert the girls into house cats at some point.

Thanks again...
Bless you for caring for those girls
As far as the tomcat goes, if someone here can link you up with a group who might help with the fixing costs, are you willing to take on the task of trapping & getting him to and from the vet??