wet food, what's the best choice for a cat with allergies

crazyjoemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet says my cat has allergic cystitis. He shows no other signs of allergies. I think I need to put him on an all wet diet. I have always had him on a good dry food, which he prefers. First Wellness then Eukanuba low/ph, now Royal Canin Special 33,
but I think I should probably get him off of grains because I can't think of what else he could be allergic to. This is very frustrating because he has been through so much in his 3 years on earth and right now he doesn't have a lot of freedom because I am afraid to let him loose around my house because of the recurring bouts of cystitis that cause him to pee allover the place. This is no way for he or us to live.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would pick something limited antigen, such as the EVO 95%, or a royal canin prescription...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyjoemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
would evo 95% be good to keep his urine acidic? I saw on the websight, that the evo 95% dry has the cranberry and dl-methionine but the wet doesn't. I really have to make sure that I give him a food that prevents crystals. Even the prescription food didn't prevent them.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any food with a high meat content should help to keep his urine acidic. Of course there's no guarantee that any particular food will work for your cat, but I think the Evo 95% wet food is a good one to try.

crazyjoemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to be stupid, but how does it keep it acidic if it has no methionine or cranberry?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Methionine is an amino acid. So, since muscle meat is a complete protein containing all the necessary amino acids, it is a natural source of methionine.

I don't know all the details of how it works, but I have done a lot of reading about cats and diets, and one of the basic principles is that more meat = more acidic urine. It also stands to reason that a diet that mimics their natural one (mostly meat) would make the cat healthier - including a better urine PH.

crazyjoemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to be dense, It's just that I have tried so many things and am desperate to do the right thing and gain some normalcy back in our lives. Thank you for your help.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

Methionine is an amino acid. So, since muscle meat is a complete protein containing all the necessary amino acids, it is a natural source of methionine.

I don't know all the details of how it works, but I have done a lot of reading about cats and diets, and one of the basic principles is that more meat = more acidic urine. It also stands to reason that a diet that mimics their natural one (mostly meat) would make the cat healthier - including a better urine PH.
that is right but only if you were talking about a RAW diet
of mainly meat /....

I would suggest talking with your vet ... MANY canned foods do fall into UTI friendly guidelines a quick search on here will yeild you alot

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

that is right but only if you were talking about a RAW diet
of mainly meat /....
Why do you say that, Sharky? Just curious, as it doesn't match my experiences or what I have read. Some of my info comes from learning about human nutrition, where the same principle applies (meat acidifies) - and we are not expected to eat raw meat

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

Why do you say that, Sharky? Just curious, as it doesn't match my experiences or what I have read. Some of my info comes from learning about human nutrition, where the same principle applies (meat acidifies) - and we are not expected to eat raw meat
Because it is the truth... the meat meal s used in cat and dog food need something to acidify them to the right level"_.. MOST but not all human do transfer ( that was my first area of schooling
)... to do just meat for a cat it should be RAW ..pm me if you need more info

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he has allergies, I'd say it doesn't matter whether he eats wet or dry; what's important is that he be put on a specific allergy food and eat nothing else. I personally recommend the Natural Balance Green Pea, which my cat loved the taste of and seemed to do very well on.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

If he has allergies, I'd say it doesn't matter whether he eats wet or dry; what's important is that he be put on a specific allergy food and eat nothing else. I personally recommend the Natural Balance Green Pea, which my cat loved the taste of and seemed to do very well on.
It can vary wet or dry as allergies can be to the processing of the food not the food itself ...

To the OP ... you may want to stick to just wet food ... IMHO it is better all around for kitty ..

crazyjoemama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sharky, I have read in previous threads of yours that the magnesium needs to be no higher than 0.008 for good urinary health. Does that matter if it is a wet food? The Natural Balance LID that was previously suggested in this thread has 0.025. I am trying to balance quality with cost. I have also read that the phos level is more important than the mag level. Your thoughts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
in canned the mag should NOT exceed .025 prefer .022.dry matter wise this = roughly .01 and .088. yes calcium and phos play a uti health role .. but for those you likely have to call the company