My cat has worms... How can I get rid of them?

kuro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My cat seems to have worms. I've seen tiny portions on her butt wiggling a little, and lots of little dry off-white balls around where she sleeps. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, other than the occasional itching.
Can anyone help me with what kind of worm they are and how to get rid of them?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Welcome to TCS! It sounds like you kitty may have tapeworms, which come from fleas or from eating rodents, birds, etc. The best thing you can do is get a flea control medication and a dewormer from your vet. Do NOT use over the counter meds. They can be extremely dangerous for your cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are without a doubt tapeworms. Take her to the vet with a fecal sample, if you can see the worms they shouldn't have to make you pay for a fecal. This is why I avoid the vet. But the vet will give you the right medication. You can also get Tapeworm Tabs from Pet Smart or Pet Supplies Plus. This is the EXACT same thing the vet will give you and it tells the correct dosage and everything right on the bottle.

Also note that tapeworms come from fleas. Doesn't necessarily mean your cat has fleas right now, but consider this in the future. Keep the cat on flea meds if you can, especially in the warm months. It only takes one little flea with worms to jump on your cat and your cat to ingest it while grooming for your cat to get tapeworms.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That makes sense... She had fleas about a month or so ago, and we got rid of them... I will try to get a de-wormer for tapeworm then. Thank you very much!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kuro

That makes sense... She had fleas about a month or so ago, and we got rid of them... I will try to get a de-wormer for tapeworm then. Thank you very much!
Make sure the bottle says specifically Tapeworm tabs with the active ingredient Praziquantal. That is exactly what you need to kill tapeworms. There are right and wrong OTC meds, it is important to get the right one. Although I have only seen this kind in the stores OTC for tapeworms, so you shouldn't have any problems.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a dewormer pill from the vet is the best thing. here mine get DRONTAL and is perfect.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her to the vet to verify what kind and the vet will give proper dosage for the type of worms. Don't bother with over the counter worm medicine - its poison and you don't know what worms she really has.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll need to get flea control and dewormer at your vets. That will take care of it the quickest and the safest.