Horrible CL posting. . . should I contact them?

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a bad habit of checking my local craigslist and I was completely appalled to find this posting today. . .

free pregnant cat!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-03-09, 11:59PM CDT

I have a free pregnant cat she will be going to the dog cachter if I dont find a home soon. She is grey tabby with a bob cat tail. She is very soft and a really good cat. She is playful and lovey good with kids and other animals but it will take a minute for her to get used to it all though. email if you have any questions.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I am thinking about emailing them because I know that taking a pregnant cat to the dog catcher is a death sentence. What would you guys do?

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is abominable!
He needs to get a grip and take her to a vet - if nothing else then they will be able to advise him on finding a new home for her properly!

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yanno, my boyfriend's brother's roommate was trying to rehome her cat last week because she kept meowing. Turns out, she's in heat. We told her get her spayed and she'll stop. Well last I heard from her she was going to get her spayed then drop her off at the shelter. I yelled at her over the phone for a good while before she hung up on me. I really hate people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just sent them an email letting them know if they can't find a home for the cat, please contact me...Hopefully they will let me know either way because now I am really worried about her.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww.. poor thing -- she sounds just like my cat too (grey with a bobtail). Do you have the time/space/resources to foster her for until after the kittens? I hope that everything turns out well for her.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hurdyburdy

Awww.. poor thing -- she sounds just like my cat too (grey with a bobtail). Do you have the time/space/resources to foster her for until after the kittens? I hope that everything turns out well for her.
I have the resources to foster her until the kittens are born but I would obviously be looking for homes for them after that. . . I have a great vet that I am pretty sure would help me out with low cost spay/neuters and everything too. We have an agreement on any surgeries I need for the local ferals so I am pretty sure he would work with me on these guys...His office commonly adopts out kittens too so I might be able to even get them in there to find new homes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoPrincess

I just sent them an email letting them know if they can't find a home for the cat, please contact me...Hopefully they will let me know either way because now I am really worried about her.
Sending mega protection prayers and vibes that the kitty either finds herself in your loving care or that another cat lover gets her, and that either way, you are notified of the outcome

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just heard back from the people that posted her. The woman says that they have had lots of replies but no one is taking her for sure yet. I let her know that I am definately willing to come pick her up and I can do it tomorrow evening if no one else takes her. She already responded that she would definately let me know if the cat was still there later on today so I can come get her tomorrow.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture she sent me of her. . . .

She is very pretty. . . I'm thinking this had to be taken before the pregnancy?

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
holy moly that's a big cat lol. unless that's a little girl holding her.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HAHA, I thought that at first too. . . I'm thinking that it's a little girl...

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah.. that must be a kid in the picture.. She doesn't look at all like I had imagined. She's cute though

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It says in the listing that it's a grey tabby, but that's definitely no grey tabby!!!!

I hope you can get the cat - if nothing else, maybe you can contact some rescue groups and see if they can help you?

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought the same thing. If they think she is a gray tabby, they are not very good at colors. Then again, I don't think they are good at cats, period. She needs to be out of there soon. I hope they let you take her. It does seem if that is a child - or maybe the way the picture was taken?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once you pick her up and get her into your car, hand the woman information on spay/neuter.

OMG they should never own a pet!! I'm kind of surprised that other rescue groups in your area didn't jump all over this. They scan Craigslist ads in our area.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siobhan

I thought the same thing. If they think she is a gray tabby, they are not very good at colors. Then again, I don't think they are good at cats, period. She needs to be out of there soon. I hope they let you take her. It does seem if that is a child - or maybe the way the picture was taken?
I don't know why, but it didn't even dawn on me when I got the picture that the ad said grey tabby, not tortie. . . After emailing back and forth a few more times yesterday, I have come to realize that the person who posted the ad and the one responding to emails is a kid. . . One of the emails yesterday mentioned that someone might come get the cat last night but they have other cats they are trying to get rid of too. . . I'm wondering now if the picture isn't actually of a different cat.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Once you pick her up and get her into your car, hand the woman information on spay/neuter.

OMG they should never own a pet!! I'm kind of surprised that other rescue groups in your area didn't jump all over this. They scan Craigslist ads in our area.
I was surprised at that too. One of them may have gone and got her last night though as I contacted the rescue that I volunteer for and told them about the cat. I have not heard yet from them or the owner to know if she was actually picked up yet but I am sure I will hear from one of them soon.

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, and talk about irony. I've actually emailed these people before because they have listed baby rabbits on CL several times. The first time they were listed, they were only a month old and WAY too young to leave their mom. I sent them an email then letting them know that they should really wait, and politely explained it would be better for the babies if they were left with their mother and litter mates for a while longer. Apparently they still have some of them and she realized I was the same person so she is now trying to get me to take a bunny too. . . . that's what I get for looking at Craigslist!

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is at the rescue, the cat in the picture was a different cat and I believe that they now have her too. I just got word from them that she seems very healthy and she is going to have a great foster home until her kittens are born.