Question for those with blind cats, or the like

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a year since Leya has been to the vet and that's the last time she could see. I'm worried about how she will react. I can't put her in a carrier because she gets really frightened. She will puke, poo, and eventually pee. Ever since she went blind she will not ride in the carrier without puking and pooing.

Any ideas on how to make our trip to the vet tomorrow afternoon nonstressful? I will have her on a harness and leash, other than that.....I don't know.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

It's been a year since Leya has been to the vet and that's the last time she could see. I'm worried about how she will react. I can't put her in a carrier because she gets really frightened. She will puke, poo, and eventually pee. Ever since she went blind she will not ride in the carrier without puking and pooing.

Any ideas on how to make our trip to the vet tomorrow afternoon nonstressful? I will have her on a harness and leash, other than that.....I don't know.
If you think she'd do ok just loose in the car, you can try that. I know one of my cats really loves to ride in the car. Otherwise, I would actually try a sedative. Something you can add to her food or water, that she'll take willingly. Make sure not to force her, or she'll associate you with that fear.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can have another person go with you and hold the cat in a towel, that would be safer then letting her loose in the car.

IMO its better to be upset in the carrier if you are driving, then to get in an accident with a loose cat running around and her being killed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add the car ride won't be too much of a problem. Luckly I live about 5 blocks from the vet office. I just worry that she will be terrified when she gets in there and a carrier isn't an option. I think I might have to bring a towel with me and hold her in the towel in the office.

I'm just so worried about my poor little girl. I hope she doesn't think she's going to come back scared to death, like last time I brought her home

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Damita, also blind, FLIPS in a carrier! I have her collar/ID tags on her, as well as having her on a harness & leash. I have a blanket she travels in, I spray it with Feliway spray especially for her. She travels in a nylon carrier only, she can push all over it & won't give herself a bloody nose. It's actually a large sized nylon dog kennel that pops up.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Damita, also blind, FLIPS in a carrier! I have her collar/ID tags on her, as well as having her on a harness & leash. I have a blanket she travels in, I spray it with Feliway spray especially for her. She travels in a nylon carrier only, she can push all over it & won't give herself a bloody nose. It's actually a large sized nylon dog kennel that pops up.
It's so strange that they don't like carriers at all!?! It's must be really scarey for the poor dears. I think I need to get some of that Feliway Spray. I assume pet stores carry it?

I also have a nylon carrier, but she is absolutely terrified to be in it. Before she was blind she would ride in it just fine. She wouldn't even meow.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

It's so strange that they don't like carriers at all!?! It's must be really scarey for the poor dears. I think I need to get some of that Feliway Spray. I assume pet stores carry it?
Yes, most pet stores carry Feliway. It wouldn't hurt to spray it around after you get home as well, just to help calm her down a bit.

Good luck!

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dillon was half blind. I took him the last couple of trips to the vet on my lap and he seemed content to lay with his head tucked under my elbow as I stroked him. I hasten to add, I wasnt driving! I wouldnt do this with a lively cat. Also, Dillons carrier had the top that lifted off. When he went to the vet we just took the top off and he stayed happily in the bottom part to be treated. If the vet tried to lift him out he got distressed. I took a cat I had years ago, Monty to the vet without a carrier in the car, and he got out and ran off. I spent two hrs crying and walking up and down the street calling his name to find he had ran home! He was sitting on the shed roof in the garden. That was a lucky day!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cmoc

Dillon was half blind. I took him the last couple of trips to the vet on my lap and he seemed content to lay with his head tucked under my elbow as I stroked him. I hasten to add, I wasnt driving! I wouldnt do this with a lively cat. Also, Dillons carrier had the top that lifted off. When he went to the vet we just took the top off and he stayed happily in the bottom part to be treated. If the vet tried to lift him out he got distressed. I took a cat I had years ago, Monty to the vet without a carrier in the car, and he got out and ran off. I spent two hrs crying and walking up and down the street calling his name to find he had ran home! He was sitting on the shed roof in the garden. That was a lucky day!
Oh my gosh!!!! I'm so glad he went home! Leya won't run anywhere she's not familar with. She actually didn't move an inch when I had her on the passenger seat. She did great! I wrote about it on "what's new pussy cat"