Weightloss update

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you may know, I had lap-band surgery on February 1st. Due to the trauma of my father's passing a few days later, I completely failed in all the things I was supposed to do to recover and make the surgery work for me... I just didn't have the mental focus to manage it. I've been concerned that I may have sabotaged myself.

Last week, I had my first "fill," where they use a needle to inject saline into the band (through a subcutaneous port) to tighten it and create greater restriction. The fill was a breeze, but I've actually been a little concerned that I may not be restricted enough -- I can eat many foods that the literature says I should not yet be able to handle.

Nonetheless, I discovered this morning that I've lost 22 pounds since the surgery.

And by the way -- I haven't needed my diabetes medication at all since the surgery.

I'M SO GLAD I DID THIS.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! My mom had lap band surgery about 4 years ago. She lost about 55 pounds, and seems to be keeping it off. She had hers done in Mexico. Her insurance wouldn't cover it because they felt that she wasn't heavy enough to justify it. (she wasn't THAT heavy) She has back problems, (degenerative disease) three levels of her spine are fused, and she's looking at having her seventh spinal surgery next year sometime. Since losing that weight, her back is alot better. She still has problems, but nothing like it used to be.

My Mom said that the only downside that she can see with this surgery, is that after a certain amount of fills, that's it. You can't tighten the band anymore, so you have to be careful and really moniter what you are eating, and stick to your diet. She recently had a stall in her weight loss, and the doctor said it's because she doesn't eat enough. Everything has been converting to fat because her body is worried about when it's going to be fed again. Since she started eating smaller more frequent meals, her weight is starting to drop again.

Good luck, I'm glad that you found something that is working!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a great weight loss!!! I'm sure you must notice this loss???
So does your follow up include and exercise programs??

One of my BIL has had weight loss surgery twice but has failed to lose more than 60 pounds in each attempt. The second surgery was paid out of his pocket too!! But he is life long bachelor and doesn't cook, doesn't seem interested in cooking so his eating habits haven't changed and therefore weight loss isn't occuring.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

As you may know, I had lap-band surgery on February 1st. Due to the trauma of my father's passing a few days later, I completely failed in all the things I was supposed to do to recover and make the surgery work for me... I just didn't have the mental focus to manage it. I've been concerned that I may have sabotaged myself.

Last week, I had my first "fill," where they use a needle to inject saline into the band (through a subcutaneous port) to tighten it and create greater restriction. The fill was a breeze, but I've actually been a little concerned that I may not be restricted enough -- I can eat many foods that the literature says I should not yet be able to handle.

Nonetheless, I discovered this morning that I've lost 22 pounds since the surgery.

And by the way -- I haven't needed my diabetes medication at all since the surgery.

I'M SO GLAD I DID THIS.
That's fantastic! Next time you're at the store, find something that weighs 20 pounds, like dog food or something, and see just how much you lost! You'll be amazed!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad it is working for you. Now take care of yourself and give us more good news later.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

My Mom said that the only downside that she can see with this surgery, is that after a certain amount of fills, that's it. You can't tighten the band anymore, so you have to be careful and really moniter what you are eating, and stick to your diet. She recently had a stall in her weight loss, and the doctor said it's because she doesn't eat enough. Everything has been converting to fat because her body is worried about when it's going to be fed again. Since she started eating smaller more frequent meals, her weight is starting to drop again.
and that's the best argument i know for drinking the protein... seems to help everyone lose weight, not just WLSers.
Congrats, Carol!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's fabulous news, particularly about the diabetes being better managed now as well! I'm so pleased to hear it's worked for you - a bit of good news in this dark time.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you might consider doing some research before making blanket statements like this. personally, i'm MUCH more healthy @ 181 lbs than i was @ 306 lbs [i'm 5'2"]. also, i take a myriad of supplements, vitamins, etc. in order to offset the problems that have been known to occur in people who have weight loss surgery & fail to supplement. my surgery was over 2 years ago, BTW - & i know people who are happy, healthy, & still maintaining at 10+ years out.
again, Carol - congrats on the success - may it continue!
Wow Laureen - I hadn't realized how much you had lost. That's fantastic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do notice the loss, but it's odd... my face looks better, and my pants are loose, but so far, the part of myself I hate most -- my abdomen -- has not diminished much. I imagine exercise will be the biggest help with that, though, and I haven't even begun to exercise properly yet. I've got to get started.

I do notice that I'm moving differently (and more) -- I walk more gracefully, I stand up straighter, and I bend more comfortably. I've been playing with the cats more, too, which they love!

That's one part of my exercise plan, actually: at least twice a day, I'll put on some good music and sashay around the living room with dangle toys in hand.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Wow Laureen - I hadn't realized how much you had lost. That's fantastic!
thanks! still losing, abeit considerably more slowly, now.
the protein drinks really help with the weight loss, as well as keeping me healthy!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catching up with what was posted while I was writing:

Hook001, certainly surgery is not for everyone -- but weight loss is an extremely complex issue, especially in people with "co-morbidities" like diabetes and heart disease, and they now know that it really is medically impossible for some people to lose their excess weight permanently without surgical intervention.

Weight loss surgery is not a cop-out, as so many people seem to think. Bijou's Mom's mother's experience illustrates something of the ongoing commitment it requires.

For me, the band is confidence. No matter how hard I worked, all my other efforts ultimately failed, and I only got heavier and sicker. But with the band, I know that if I do this right, I will lose weight, and I'll have the tools I need to keep it off, too. From the moment I made the decision to have the surgery, I felt better about myself, because I knew I wasn't always going to be unhealthy and unattractive... and instead of worrying about dying young, I started thinking about what to do with the rest of my life.

Your recommendations about yoga are excellent, though -- at some later point, I hope to be able to take a yoga class myself. I'm glad it works so well for you!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
P.S. -- Laureen, my gosh, what an achievement! How does it feel for you, to have made such a change in yourself? How has your life changed? I'd love to hear more about your experience!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

P.S. -- Laureen, my gosh, what an achievement! How does it feel for you, to have made such a change in yourself? How has your life changed? I'd love to hear more about your experience!
well, i like being able to buy clothes in regular stores, like Target... & i certainly don't miss the aches/pains that went along with such a great weight on my joints, feet, etc. i like not having to search for the closest parking slots, so i wouldn't have to walk as far. & i also enjoy the compliments!
i also like the newfound confidence - today i went to a singles event thru church - bowling! still suck at it, but not because of my weight... i'm just not that good!
but i didn't feel like the guys there were thinking, 'well, no wonder she's still single...' instead, i felt as attractive as many of the women there.
not too impressed at being cast more in the local theatre productions, tho - i've actually been cast less in the last 2 years than before - i think it's because the current music director doesn't like me [or my voice, or performances, whatever].
oh, & i like being able to wear my rings again!