Dry Cat Food - What's the Best Choice?

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've been hearing all this talk about dry dog food lately... you want to avoid certain stuff like by-products and various types of meal... I haven't heard anything about cat food, but do the same rules apply? I got a sample bag of cat food the other day that says it's for healthy systems, etc... but the first ingredient in it is chicken by-product meal!

The cat food I normally buy is Purina Kit & Kaboodle, and at least according to the ingredients, it seems pretty good. Chicken by-product meal is listed, but it's low on the list (I don't know if it's true, but someone told me that the lower on a list an ingredient is, the less of it there is).

Opinions? Advice? Am I giving my kitties good food?

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started feeding Nutro dry and wet foods. Squishy does very well on it, she dont eat all the time now like she is constantly hungry, her coat has become even more shiny and silky soft. Our new adoptee finally started eating it and he is getting much softer of a coat and shinier also, I love the Nutro foods

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid that's not a very good food. While byproducts are low on the list, most of the protein sources are from grains (not good for an obligate carnivore like a cat), and the only meat proteins don't tell you want kind of meat they are. This site (it works for all pet foods, despite its name) describes what ingredients to avoid and why: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients

Here are the ingredients in this food:

Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, meat and bone meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), oceanfish meal, turkey by-product meal, phosphoric acid, salt, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, potassium chloride, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, taurine, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, added color (Red 40, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6), glyceryl monostearate, L-Alanine, manganese sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), niacin, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, citric acid, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

I would suggest looking for a food with a named meat (i.e. chicken, beef, turkey) meal as the first ingredient. Try to find one with only one grain type, preferably rice or corn. Avoid anything with byproducts or unnamed protein sources (if it simply says "meat" or "animal" then you have no idea what kind of animal it came from). If possible, try a pet store rather than the grocery store--they will have better quality foods. The better foods may look more expensive, but since you need to feed smaller quantities, the difference can be pretty small. If you tell us what stores you have available, we can help point out some possible foods.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think there are better foods out there. I like Royal Canin and Nature's Best or Natural Choice (something like that - don't remember the exact name). Petco has it.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Lena and Larry California Natural. They really like it, and their coats have gotten all nice and shiny and soft.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I know this is gonna cause trouble, but....

You should buy the best cat food you reasonably can, just as you should for yourself. However, I would much rather see a kitten or cat rescued and fed the cheapest store brand of cat food than die on the street alone or be put to sleep in a shelter.

So, it's good to know how to find the absolute best food, but don't feel guilty if you find that you can't afford it, or it's not available to you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I would suggest looking for a food with a named meat (i.e. chicken, beef, turkey) meal as the first ingredient. Try to find one with only one grain type, preferably rice or corn. Avoid anything with byproducts or unnamed protein sources (if it simply says "meat" or "animal" then you have no idea what kind of animal it came from).
actually, my 1st ingredient of choice is a named meat MEAL, when it comes to kibble. chicken meal, salmon meal, lamb meal - etc. this is the protein w/the liquids removed.
chicken 1st means the liquid is removed after the ingredients are combined - making the actual % of chicken in the food much lower than it appears.
when it comes to supermarket type foods, i go for a protein meal as 1st ingredient. that usually means by-product meal, but that's better than a grain source as 1st ingredient.
sometimes i run out & just can't get to the feed or pet store!

sillylilykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Felidae, my cats look great on it, one of my cats gets a pouch on everything else but on Felidae it goes away. It cant be found at Petco or Petsmart though. Here are some other good cat foods: California Natural, Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul, Instinct, Natural Balance, Nutro, and Innova just to name a few.

I wouldnt feed some of Purinas foods, or IAMS if I could help it. But thats just personal preference. Go by what your cat does best on, the best food for your cat is whatever he or she does best on. For my cats, thats Felidae.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

actually, my 1st ingredient of choice is a named meat MEAL, when it comes to kibble. chicken meal, salmon meal, lamb meal - etc. this is the protein w/the liquids removed.
realized that this was, after all, also what cloud_shade recommended

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the Nutro kibbles, or Royal Canin. If you can't get to a pet food store and shop at the grocery/big box stores, I think that Purina Pro Plan is pretty respectable.

I do second that a cat in a warm home eating any cat kibble is better than a cat on the streets

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
where are you shopping??>

AGE of cat ... any issues like hairballs , excessive shedding... vomiting??

pussy_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been told it isn't sold in the US but if you are in Canada, Nutrience is a great food and it is reasonably priced. I wouldn't say it is "better" then some of these other foods listed however my cats do great on it and I am always getting complimented on their shiney, soft coats! It is sold in pet stores.

I feed Nutrience Original Maitenance Cat Food ($25.99 for 6kg) but you can get it in many different types/sizes (derma, senior, original maintenance, supreme, holistic, kitten, etc) and it comes in wet and dry.

Ingredients listed below...

Chicken meal, ground corn, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), brewers rice, dried beet pulp, dried egg product, chicken flavor, yeast culture, salt, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, L-lysine, calcium propionate (preservative), rosemary extract, yucca schidigera extract, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), iron proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc methionine complex, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, inositol, niacin, taurine, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Good luck!! My cats (in the past) were fed a lower quality food because we couldn't afford to feed higher quality at that time- especially with the amount of cats we had. We had LOTS of cats who people seemed to continue to drop off (in boxes, thrown out car windows, etc) at OUR house. We were out in the country. They all lived long, healthy, happy lives at a good weight being fed the lower quality food.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To me, the "best choices" for food, whether it's canned or dry are the ones that (1) contain the overall healthiest and most easily digestible ingredients; (2) are easily affordable by the owner; and, most importantly, (3) are obviously enjoyed by the pet, who thrives on them.

People can recommend specific brands and flavors and can tell you what works for their pets, and that's helpful. But it doesn't mean that these brands and flavors will work as well for your pets. If your cat refuses to eat Evo, for example, or eats it and gets diarrhea, or develops an allergy, it doesn't really matter how great the ingredients are. It's inappropriate for your cat.

Because every cat is different, it's something that can require some trial and error, which takes longer with dry food because of the need to change food more slowly.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

OK, I know this is gonna cause trouble, but....

You should buy the best cat food you reasonably can, just as you should for yourself. However, I would much rather see a kitten or cat rescued and fed the cheapest store brand of cat food than die on the street alone or be put to sleep in a shelter.

So, it's good to know how to find the absolute best food, but don't feel guilty if you find that you can't afford it, or it's not available to you.
Although I know you mean well, there are better quality foods out there that are not expensive or hard on a budget and in fact may end up costing you less in the long term since when you feed quality food your cats will need less food to get the same nutrition. I certainly noticed this when I started using Orijen. They eat less and are not hungry so I don't have to go shopping nearly as often as I used to for cat food. I find the same thing with cat litter - I buy World's Best Cat Litter and I it lasts so much longer than the cheaper clay litters that I've ended up saving money even though the initial outlay of cost is higher than the clay litters.

Originally Posted by RobertM

To me, the "best choices" for food, whether it's canned or dry are the ones that (1) contain the overall healthiest and most easily digestible ingredients; (2) are easily affordable by the owner; and, most importantly, (3) are obviously enjoyed by the pet, who thrives on them.

People can recommend specific brands and flavors and can tell you what works for their pets, and that's helpful. But it doesn't mean that these brands and flavors will work as well for your pets. If your cat refuses to eat Evo, for example, or eats it and gets diarrhea, or develops an allergy, it doesn't really matter how great the ingredients are. It's inappropriate for your cat.

Because every cat is different, it's something that can require some trial and error, which takes longer with dry food because of the need to change food more slowly.
RobertM is absolutely correct. No food is any good if your cat won't eat it. When I started feeding Bijou and Mika a wet food I had to try at least 10 different brands before finding one they would eat and even then they won't eat all flavours. As for dry, usually you have to change over gradually to a dry or you'll often have diarrhea and/or stomach issues so that's a challenge if you want to try out different brands.

We've been lucky and have been able to change over abruptly to a new food and neither of our cats have had any issues.

Back to dry food - I'd find a decent quality brand and gradually introduce it to your cat by mixing small amounts in their normal food and gradually increasing the amount of new food over a period of about 10-14 days until you are feeding all new food. You may have some "stinky" output until their system adjusts to the new food but that too should calm down as they adjust. If you do a search and look through some of the threads in this forum you will find Sharky has listed a number of quality foods that won't break your wallet.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I normally feed my babies either Purina Naturals, Chicken Soup or Nutro. I agree that its what they will eat that counts. I've been feeding an outside stray for about 2 mo. now but due to cost I feed "outside kitty" Friskies dry. I would love to take her in but with my two I just can't, I'm not allowed any cats. However my point is that "outside kitty" at least is being fed twice a day and is not starving. My one cat also likes Friskies and doesn't want to eat the better dry foods anymore. This is my fault because as I was putting out food for the stray I would give my cat some as well. My daughter taught me a trick for the stray's food. She cuts part of the side out of a gallon milk jug, and puts the food bowl in the jug. If it rains or snows the food stays dry. I too get confused about the ingredient's in dry food.

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my girls California Natural. The ingredients are good and there's only like 5 of them so its good for kitties with sensitive digestive tracks. My girls have been on it for several months and their coats are VERY soft and shiny, they have tons of energy (granted they are 1 yr old now!) and they maintain a good body weight/shape. I also think it's priced fair for the quality you get.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd like opinions on this food

Chicken Meal, Catfish Meal, Brewers Rice, Dried Egg Product, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Cooked Potatoes, Rice Flour, Fish Meal, Barley, Tomato Pomace, Oat Meal, Chicken Liver Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Beet Pulp, Cellulose Powder, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Whold Ground Flax Seed, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, dl-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Cranberries, I-Lysine, Yucca Extract, Sea Salt, Glucosamine Sulfate, I-Carnitine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Inositol, Niacin Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Pantothenate, Calcium lodate (source of iodine), Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), Folic Acid.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein, not less than 34.0%

Crude Fat, not less than 18.0%

Crude Fiber, not more than 5.15%

Moisture, not more than 10.0%

Ash, not more than 7.0%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids, not less than 0.61%
*Glucosamine, not less than .325 mg/kg
*Chondroitin Sulfate, not less than 30ppm

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO nutrient profiles. 

NUTRITIONALLY COMPLETE AND BALANCED: Dave's Cat Food is designed specifically for very active to the moderately active outdoor and indoor adult cats of all breeds. Animal feeding tests using Association of American Feed Control Official procedures substantiate that Dave's cat food provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
or this one

INGREDIENTS: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract), Tomato, Rice Bran, Menhaden Herring Meal, Egg Product, Dried Milk Powder, Flaxseed Meal, Peas, Yogurt, Brewers Yeast, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Farmers Cheese, Avocado Oil, Spinach, Beets, Parsley, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Cranberries, Blueberries, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Bifidobacterium thermophilium fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Saccharomyces cerevsiae fermentation solubles, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Proteinate, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-activated Animal Sterol (a source of Vitamin D3), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menedione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity).

GUARUNTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein: min. 35.0%
Crude Fat: min. 18.0%
Crude Fiber: max. 4.0%
Moisture: max. 10.0%
Ash: max. 6.5%
Magnesium: max. 0.09%
Taurine: min. 0.18%

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
INGREDIENTS: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Ricevery low quality , Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract)can cause tummy upset , Tomato, Rice Bran, Menhaden Herring Meal, Egg Product, Dried Milk Powderdigestive issues in many, Flaxseed Meal, Peas, Yogurtsee milk, Brewers Yeast, Dried Kelp, Garliccan cause anemia , Farmers Cheese, Avocado Oil, Spinach, Beets, Parsley, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Cranberries, Blueberries, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Bifidobacterium thermophilium fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Saccharomyces cerevsiae fermentation solubles, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Proteinate, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-activated Animal Sterol (a source of Vitamin D3), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menedione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity).

GUARUNTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude Protein: min. 35.0%
Crude Fat: min. 18.0%
Crude Fiber: max. 4.0%
Moisture: max. 10.0%
Ash: max. 6.5%
Magnesium: max. 0.09%
Taurine: min. 0.18%[/quote]