Got a question(regards to dogs)

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I am fostering Ebony, who is pregnant...the owners said they think she got pregnant in the end of Jan(because they caught her and the male stuck together lol)

My questions is...is that the only way she can get pregnant??

I have no clue on dogs and pregnancy because all my dogs were always spayed and I didnt have this problem....

I just wonder if she may be farther along. She keeps cleaning her area down there and acting kindof different.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She might not be pregnant and actually going into heat. Are you seeing any bloody discharge?

The only way she can get pregnant is if she mates with a male, if they were stuck together, then the odds are high they went through with the entire mating. Take her to the vet and have her xrayed to see if there's any pups in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

She might not be pregnant and actually going into heat. Are you seeing any bloody discharge?

The only way she can get pregnant is if she mates with a male, if they were stuck together, then the odds are high they went through with the entire mating. Take her to the vet and have her xrayed to see if there's any pups in there.
Oh no shes pregnant~trust me! She has a large belly and the boobies....Im just wanting to make sure I have her whelping box ready.

UPDATE! I was messing around feeling her belly and the babies are moving and she also has milk!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How prominent are her teats and have you seen any leaking from them? I'm not an expert (only had 1 dog pregnant) but with Snickers, I thought she was ready to pop for about 3 weeks before she finally had them. Then, a day or two before she delivered I could definitely see a change. Mainly, her nipples looked wet. DH said right before giving birth, he has seen nipples start giving a clear fluid, and she was licking them trying to stimulate them...so it was close. I went to work one morning and she was real anxious and whiny. DH stayed home that day, and when I called 2 hours later, I was a grandma!!

Best bet would be to take her to the vet and he can give you a better idea of how far along she is. But, if the end of Jan was the only time she "hooked up" you should still have a few weeks. Of course, you don't know if she could have gotten pregnant before then. Dogs in heat will still mate even after getting pregnant, from what I understand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

How prominent are her teats and have you seen any leaking from them? I'm not an expert (only had 1 dog pregnant) but with Snickers, I thought she was ready to pop for about 3 weeks before she finally had them. Then, a day or two before she delivered I could definitely see a change. Mainly, her nipples looked wet. DH said right before giving birth, he has seen nipples start giving a clear fluid, and she was licking them trying to stimulate them...so it was close. I went to work one morning and she was real anxious and whiny. DH stayed home that day, and when I called 2 hours later, I was a grandma!!

Best bet would be to take her to the vet and he can give you a better idea of how far along she is. But, if the end of Jan was the only time she "hooked up" you should still have a few weeks. Of course, you don't know if she could have gotten pregnant before then. Dogs in heat will still mate even after getting pregnant, from what I understand.
Yup, she has milk!!! LOL...her teats are HUGE lol...I have never had a pregnant doggie either, so this is all new to me!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes if the dogs "tied" then she is probably pregnant. Dogs have about the same time as cats - 60+ days. Has she been examined by a vet to see how far along?

Dogs do have more false pregnancies then cats do; so I might look into x-rays to be sure.