ladie's only am afraid...

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...well, unless you men can give some good advice!
am wondering what diet's have you all tried? were they any good? what did you have to do?

ok, i'll get to the point now! am not overweight, but as am a woman, am not happy sooo...

...here goe's, i need a diet that stop's me feeling hungry, has no exercise (reason being, am disabled). any idea's? helpful tip's?

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I lost 50 lbs doing a low carb diet. Specifically Atkins. Once I started eating junk again (processed foods) the weight came back.

The key is to plan, and to always have fresh whole foods around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

I lost 50 lbs doing a low carb diet. Specifically Atkins. Once I started eating junk again (processed foods) the weight came back.

The key is to plan, and to always have fresh whole foods around.
how long did it take you to lose 50 lbs?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would just change your diet so you eat all healthy natural foods, eat lots of protien, like chicken and fish and load up on veggies, snack on fruit, if you eat just healthy foods, you can eat whenever your hungrey.

What I do is in the morning I have my coffee, then when I start to get hungry I have a banana, when i get hungry agian I snack on fruit, strawberries,apples,oranges, and if its lunch I might have some chicken or a healthy sandwhich on wheat. Dinner I eat either fish or chicken, lots of vegis like broccli and spinach, and a very small amount of carbs, like brown rice or yams, and for dessert if I want something sweet Ill eat more fruit or a healthy snack.

With me I have noticed I do better eating small amounts throughout the day with a healthy well proportioned dinner, I wont eat past 6pm. This really helps. Dont starve yourself just eat healthy natural foods when you are hungry and eventually it will become a habit. And also try not to eat until your stuffed, eat slowly and listen to your body, you will know when your full. And most important, do not buy or keep bad foods in your house, if they arnt there you wont eat them!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank's, that was very useful! i'll give what you said a try, i mean i have tried so many diet's & alway's feel hungry!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost 30lbs (and maintaining at this point) just by counting calories. For me all those very structured diets that restricted foods I liked just did not work for me. But counting calories worked. Because I could still have things I liked I just had to work it into my counts for the day. To do calorie counting all you need to do is find out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and subtract 500 from that. Oh and I gave up all caffeine and drink nothing but water.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

how long did it take you to lose 50 lbs?
It took me about 5 months - but I exercised. I bike quite a bit in the summer so the weight just flew off when I ate right and biked 20 miles a day.

Then winter comes, I have school, I eat processed food for convenience and can't bike (snow and cold) and boom - I gain it all back.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had only wanted to lose about 10lbs last year before the beach and I did by using Slimfast. I had a shake (I would recommend the powder, I thought it tasted great, the premade shakes not so great...) in the morning and then bar and some fruit for lunch and then a decent meal for dinner. And I lost the weight in about 2 weeks. (while exercising a bit with just a few sit ups and crunches to get my abs in shape) And when I got hungry I would eat something like an apple or some other sort of fruit

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I dropped 30 lbs 6 years ago it was by cutting the crap out of my diet (Fast Food, high fructose corn syrup, etc) and walking/running. That got me through the first 20 lbs. Then the last 10 lbs was watching my carb intake. I'm pear shaped at the carbs head straight to the hips thighs and butt.

Does your disability 100% prevent you from exercising? The downside with losing weight without any exercise is that you'll wind up with loose skin. Exercising helps tone that skin up (in addition to keeping your metabolism on track). So even if 15 minutes on a bike is all you can do per day or a walk around the block, then you'll have less lose skin. Even just lifting small weights (2-5lbs).

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lost 100 pounds, and this is what I did.

I cut out almost all processed foods: white flour, white sugar, soda, fast food, and anything that was on an ingredient list I couldn't pronounce or buy in a store.

I also started cooking for myself, and I stopped eating out.

I don't want this to sound mean, but I don't think that "diets" really work. It implies that whatever you are going to do is temporary. To loose weight and make it stay off one must really change the way they relate to food.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do diets, they are more of a risk to your health.

I try to cook healthy -fresh foods, small portions, no cooking with salt or fatty oils, no frying (or as little as possible).
And exercise.

I'm huge, so start small like me with the exercise and increase it as your stamina gets better (having an active senior dog helps a lot).

Once I get moved, I'll be living vegetarian through the summer as I really miss a lot of the fresh fruits and veggies that I've been denied for so long.

I also don't much care for red meat, but I love fish and chicken.

Having parents who both have heart desease has taught me a lot about foods and cooking.

Maybe you can look for some heart smart or diabetic recipes to help you.

ETA: Missed the disabled part. Are you able to get to a pool for low impact aerobics at all?
Also, if you want to not feel hungry, try 4-5 small meals a day.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WW. Been on it since I was 15, when I lost 50 lbs. in a year. As someone else posted, it is not a diet it is a way of life.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Travis lost 85lbs in 8 months by counting calories and working out. I lost 12lbs in 2 months by doing the same thing. Like someone else said, you do need to work out just a little bit if possible to tone up everything. Good luck though!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since the best way to lose weight (and DH and I need to do it) is cut back on calories and exercise, I'd talk to your doctor about a diet and limited exercise. Hopefully there is something you are able to do in that department.

Its hard to just pick out a diet and not exercise and lose weight.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you do any light weight lifting-its easy to start even with cans of vegetables as weights!!

I so far have lost 10pounds (in 6 weeks) with 20 more to go. I've reduced my calories and am walking 40 minutes every day. I probably average 1200-1500 calories (included alcohol 2 x week!!)
I have been drinking more water and chilled (no ice) green or black tea (unsweetened).
You should know your trigger foods and limit them as much as possible. Mine for instance would be food such as potato chips, fritos etc....
If you want to have dessert or candy for instance try to have a small portion of a really good quality chocolate/ice cream etc to make it special.
In the US vs other countries most processed foods have high fructose corn syrup which is highly addicting. Switching to organic types of foods will eliminate this ingredient.
Read the labels of the foods you are buying, look for 100% whole grains, low sodium etc.

Good luck!!

PS..... also reward yourself for reaching certain goals. At 5 # loss I bought a funjy pair of shoes now at 10# I will splurge a bit more etc!!!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH! And another thing is EAT BREAKFAST-it jump starts your metabolism and do not skip meals!

Also drink a glass of water-16oz of water before you leave for work. I've learned that drinking a glass of water before every meal will make you stop eating before you get too full. Stop eating after 7pm or about 2-3 hours before bed. When you feel hungry and feel like munching, drink a glass of water. Water curbs your appetite! I guess my key here is drink WATER WATER WATER! Cut sodas out and if you need too have soda, drink diet. If you don't like diet try Coke zero so there are no calories OR sugars

I think I'm done now

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I substituted bad snacks for fresh and healthy ones like carrots and ranch (low fat). I also had a lot of dairy like lowfat milk and yogurt. I had cut back on my sugar and limited eating at fast food joints. (Although I will admit, we went to BK last night as a treat.) I barely exercise, especially with it being so cold and dry out, my lungs feel like they constrict and dry up whenever I run outside.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Does your disability 100% prevent you from exercising?
unfortunately, there's not much exercise i can do. this is what annoy's me! if i could walk, then i'd run it off. i can just about use an exercise bike (table top one), as i can't move my leg's. i have Scoliosis, so that also limit's me from exercise, because i can't bend my back, & can easily strain it from doing alot of exercise.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

ETA: Missed the disabled part. Are you able to get to a pool for low impact aerobics at all?
Also, if you want to not feel hungry, try 4-5 small meals a day.
i could swim very well! then i had to have back surgery, so now i can't go in a pool without my partner holding me.

Originally Posted by GailC

Can you do any light weight lifting-its easy to start even with cans of vegetables as weights!!
i could try this, however i can't lift my arm's over my head all the time. the type of exercise, would have to be in front of me, if you get me.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stick with a diet for life so I have some rules I follow.
Only keep healthy things in the house. No sodas, no chips, no ice cream, nothing junky. Keep healthy drinks at the house and at work and on you in the car and so forth, as in Crystal Light or Tea without sugar. There are lots of options. Keep yourself hydrated.

When at the grocery store buy lots of fresh fruit and veggies. When you get home wash and clean them and prepare them to eat. Put them in airtight containers or plastic baggies. Do this for when you become hungry and want to reach for anything, that way you will have something healthy already at your fingertips. Also prepare the lettuce for salads that day when you get home, so you can easily whip up a salad whenever you want.
Try to never eat white breads. Stick with whole wheat if you are eating carbs, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat rice, and stuff like that. I read all labels at the grocery store before buying anything. Learn how to read labels, ingredients are very important as the labels on the front will lie. Learn to read deeper and know serving sizes.
You can eat out all you want, know how to order though. Burger and fries, no. Salads aren't always healthy either. Always make sure sure you ask the servers what is in sauces, on sandwiches, have a whole wheat bun, don't butter the breads, nothing fried. Do some research before you go if you can.
For small snacks I eat whole grain cereals. Hope this helps! I think every body type is different though, if you are super serious about losing weight you need to get in person advice from a professional, ask your doctor for a recommendation based upon your body and any special needs and find a plan that works for you.