Attention, English speakers!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I do mean the King's English.

The new home that I will be moving into next month is a new townhome in a development named Cambridge Crossing, which has all the ornation of Kings and Queens. The townhomes theirselves are supposed to resemble castles of lore. Here are some of the street names: York, Oxford, Canterbury, etc.

Now, here is the name of the street my new home is on: Winsor. No, I most certainly did not spell that wrong and I am ANGRY.
This is the address I have to live with for the rest of my life, and my educated friends will be laughing at me forever.

So now, what to do? (Nobody that built this development seems to think this is an issue.) I will not live with this! As soon as I move in, I will be in that first city council meeting and I promise each and every one of you I will have this changed. Idiots!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt that you're going to be able to change the name of the street. Think of all of the legal documents (both public and private) that would have to be updated because of the change. You're probably going to just have to suck it up and get used to it...or move to a different house, on a different street, in that subdivision.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, if you are that mad over a silly sign on the street name....well I have nothing to say. You picked the house, you live with the address

I'm sure you can put your efforts into more worthwhile things to complain about and change in your neighborhood. Be glad you didn't move to some of the towns in Pennsylvania....like Blue Balls, Intercourse, Bird in Hand...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a development called High Pointe. With an acute accent on the last e. Very annoying, for someone with a degree in French!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd probably be a bit of a snot and put the correct spelling on my address labels, any correspondence, etc. You'd still get your mail.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree, if you are that mad over a silly sign on the street name....well I have nothing to say. You picked the house, you live with the address

I'm sure you can put your efforts into more worthwhile things to complain about and change in your neighborhood. Be glad you didn't move to some of the towns in Pennsylvania....like Blue Balls, Intercourse, Bird in Hand...
Here are some other interesting town names:

Hell, Michigan
Lizard Lick, North Carolina
French Lick, Indiana
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Tidioute, PA
We have the Titabawasee River here (near Saginaw)

Here is a link I found on the Net:
http://www.accuracyproject.org/towns.html

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are serious about changing the street name, you need to contact the county for advice on how to do it. I think you have to get the approval of a certain number of people affected before they will consider it.
Not sure about the cost.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be mad, too. That is a huge mistake.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hell, Michigan
French Lick, Indiana
Tidioute, PA

HeeHee...the Tittabawassee River....affectionately called "The Big Tit" around these parts, lol! So many people mispronounce the word Tittabawassee...and there's a very busy street in Saginaw with that name too!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once talked to a woman at work who got her address changed because her house number was "666", so it is possible. Maybe they spelled it that way because there was already a street nearby with the correct spelling??

Anyway, that developement sounds beautiful! I can't wait to see pics of your new house!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hell, Michigan
French Lick, Indiana
Tidioute, PA

My brother lives in Bethlehem, CT. Every Christmas, they make a town ornament and if you aren't quick about getting one, you are SOL. The post office is flooded with additional mail so it can be postmarked Bethlehem, CT.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

HeeHee...the Tittabawassee River....affectionately called "The Big Tit" around these parts, lol! So many people mispronounce the word Tittabawassee...and there's a very busy street in Saginaw with that name too!
Hey, KJ - wasn't sure how to spell it, but the name always makes me giggle- sooo juvinile, I know, can't help it!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my friend, I so sympathize! If a developer is going to aspire to such grandeur, he'd better be sure he gets it right, or he looks like a mere pretender to the (heh heh) throne.

In my neighborhood (with which I know you are familiar), we have streets with lovely names like Portside and Sailmaker. But do we get to live on such a street? No, we live on Brunchberry. Like a breakfast cereal! What, the developer couldn't come up with just one more romantic sailing reference?

Linda is correct, of course, that the street might be named for someone who actually does spell it "Winsor," but sheesh -- in a development so devoted to the monarchy, you'd think they would realize that's a poor choice. Still, I suspect that as long as it's unique within your zip code, you can safely use Windsor on your own correspondence if you want.

From a fellow defender of the English language... good luck!