TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Cornish Rex and Siamese Cats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cornish Rex and Siamese Cats

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I have a Siamese cat. She is not very affectionate, she doesn't care to be petted at all. That is what I have to pay apparently because besides the little to no petting allowed by her she is the perfect cat. She plays with her toys, she plays fetch, she listens to me. She doesn't beg for me to feed her own food or for me to give her my food. If shes doing something wrong just one "No!" and she stops, she stays off the counters, she walks on a leash outside with me. She talks to me occasionally. Shes perfect, except she doesn't want me petting her (it sucks because she is soo super soft! Just like a lilac point should be) or kissing her, I can hold her and carry her around but no loving on her! I plan on getting another Siamese one day because I love them and want another one.

But the Cornish Rex. Can anyone tell me about them? I have read (and met one) that they are similar to a Siamese, they are active cats. They are really affectionate is what I have heard, is this true? Would a Cornish want me to pet him and curl up on my lap and purr when I pet him?
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylilykitty View Post
I have a Siamese cat. She is not very affectionate, she doesn't care to be petted at all. That is what I have to pay apparently because besides the little to no petting allowed by her she is the perfect cat. She plays with her toys, she plays fetch, she listens to me. She doesn't beg for me to feed her own food or for me to give her my food. If shes doing something wrong just one "No!" and she stops, she stays off the counters, she walks on a leash outside with me. She talks to me occasionally. Shes perfect, except she doesn't want me petting her (it sucks because she is soo super soft! Just like a lilac point should be) or kissing her, I can hold her and carry her around but no loving on her! I plan on getting another Siamese one day because I love them and want another one.

But the Cornish Rex. Can anyone tell me about them? I have read (and met one) that they are similar to a Siamese, they are active cats. They are really affectionate is what I have heard, is this true? Would a Cornish want me to pet him and curl up on my lap and purr when I pet him?
Well, both me and my mom have cornish rex's. I have no idea if they act like siamese, because I've never met a siamese before. But my Bijou sure can talk like one! They are both very affectionate cats, sometimes to the point of annoying! When they want to be held, there is nothing that you can do to stop them. If you have a blanket or a heating pad, they will be your friend for life. They are also both very active. Mine leaps and runs around the house all of the time at full throttle. My mom's cornie is older, (12) and has slowed down some. When mine isn't playing, she's sneaking around looking for warm spots lol. My cornie loves dogs, and acts like one herself. My mom's isn't so wild about dogs, but she does just fine when I bring my pug over to visit. They have huge personalities for such small cats. They are a little bit stuck up though! My Bijou does NOT like other cats, but then again she has been living the single life for about ten years. We tried adding another cat to the mix, but she wasn't having any of that, so we had to rehome the new cat. My mom's lives with a 14 year old male ragdoll, but they grew up together.

Here is my cornish rex Bijou:http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160285

Oh, and my cornish rex is FAR from perfect. She is a pig. I have read that they tend to get fat, so we have to really watch her weight. She will eat everything in front of her and look for more. She will steal food if you turn your back for a second. And she screeches at the top of her lungs for food all of the time. You would think that I was starving her! She also likes to hang out in wet sinks and showers for some reason. (she doesn't like baths much though) She has been known to rip apart hardbound books WHILE you are reading them. (She doesn't like to be ignored) And she likes to eat wicker baskets and shoes. When Bijou goes to the bridge, I will definitely be getting another rex.
Are you thinking of getting one?
post #3 of 23
Coco is half Siamese and she is one of the nicest Cats I ever had. I also had a Seal Point Siamese years ago and she was nice too.
post #4 of 23
My only experience with Cornies is from showing, there's usually just the one breeder and her cats are super affectionate they sit curled on her lap purring away.
post #5 of 23
I have read that a female cat that has been the only cat in a home for an extended period of time will have a hard time accepting another cat. I don't know anything about the breed but problems with another cat may not be a trait that shows up a lot in this breed. I have read about them loving their food though so I think that is a common trait. I would prefer that to a cat that is finicky about what they eat though.
post #6 of 23
I bred and showed Cornish Rexes. And YES YES YES - they are lap cats...and bed cats....and in your face pet me cats. My guys were very affectionate (male and female, male more so). They would argue as to who was sitting on my lap. Would have 2-3 of them (as many as could fit).

And they are active too. I highly recommend you getting a cornie; you won't be dissapointed. Go with a young neutered male if you want the best lap sitter.

If you tell me what state you are in, I'll give you some breeder recommendations


Also you cannot free feed rexes - males should average 6-7 lbs when full grown, females 5-6.
post #7 of 23
I love my Cornish Rexes. They are very active and do love thier food but I have not had a problem with overeating. Of course I do moniter what I give them. They are total lap cats and are very close to me all the time. They come close to being velcro kitties. Almost too smart for their own good but they know what NO! means. They must not think I am that smart because they are always helping me with whatever I am doing and telling me how they would do it. There is a thread of rexes in Furpictures that have my Zander and Grasshopper. They are just so lively and friendly. They do love thier heat source. Mine live for the heating vents and electric blankie when I turn it on. I love Siameses too. I had one when I was a young girl and would love to have another but I am at my limit with five.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I bred and showed Cornish Rexes. And YES YES YES - they are lap cats...and bed cats....and in your face pet me cats. My guys were very affectionate (male and female, male more so). They would argue as to who was sitting on my lap. Would have 2-3 of them (as many as could fit).

And they are active too. I highly recommend you getting a cornie; you won't be dissapointed. Go with a young neutered male if you want the best lap sitter.

If you tell me what state you are in, I'll give you some breeder recommendations


Also you cannot free feed rexes - males should average 6-7 lbs when full grown, females 5-6.
I don't like free feeding so that wont be a problem. I tried free feeding with Lily and she was a lazy bum, she never played like usual or anything. I have active breeds because I love the activity so I switched her back to being fed 2 times a day and she was back to normal.

Now with the more affectionate rex, will I have a cat that won't be quite and meows all the time or most of the time? Are Rexes hard to train not to tell me when to feed them (by meowing)? Are they known for walking around the house meowing for no apparent reason?

I live in Colorado but I don't plan on getting a Cornish for a long time, probably not until I live back in Hawaii. But I still would appreciate some breeder recommendations. I always see a friend of mines Cornish at the cat shows here in CO and I would love a cat like their Cornish.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylilykitty View Post
Now with the more affectionate rex, will I have a cat that won't be quite and meows all the time or most of the time? Are Rexes hard to train not to tell me when to feed them (by meowing)? Are they known for walking around the house meowing for no apparent reason?
Mine walks around the house yowling all of the time for no apparent reason, (and for food too!)but my Mom's cornie does not. She has a nicer sounding meow than mine does, and she only does it when she jumps up on your lap and wants a snuggle. I think it varies from cat to cat, just like other breeds.
post #10 of 23
Corrnies are unpredictable if they are a talker or not. I've had quiet ones and ones that told you their life story and the next door neighbors life story. Seems if you have some of the pointed rexes in the background they were more talkative. My Spooky and Lily's grandmother was pointed rex and both were talkative (Siamese like). Taz was very quiet with a baby kitten voice (she didn't have the pointed rexes in her background).

If you like your friend's rexes and she's a breeder or you can contact the breeder she got her's from, maybe go that route. Not sure if there are any cornish rex breeders in Hawaii - not that I know of
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Corrnies are unpredictable if they are a talker or not. I've had quiet ones and ones that told you their life story and the next door neighbors life story. Seems if you have some of the pointed rexes in the background they were more talkative. My Spooky and Lily's grandmother was pointed rex and both were talkative (Siamese like). Taz was very quiet with a baby kitten voice (she didn't have the pointed rexes in her background).

If you like your friend's rexes and she's a breeder or you can contact the breeder she got her's from, maybe go that route. Not sure if there are any cornish rex breeders in Hawaii - not that I know of
Thanks I never thought about that! I really would like a Rex like my friends Rex, I really hope the breeders on the west coast! I'm not sure if I would like a kitten or young adult. I like that I can train the kittens, but then I don't know quite what I'm getting. I would love a young adult because at least then I will know if the cat is talkative or not, but then the cat might not be quite as accepting of my Lily. Lily is really good about accepting strange cats so I dont have to worry about that. I guess no matter what the cat will be older since, even if I get a kitten it will be 9 months by the time it's prepared to get into the immediate release quarantine in Hawaii. Ahhh, the fall back of living in Hawaii, animals take forever to be able to get there, unless they are already older.
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
I dont want a Cornish that walks around yowling all the time. I prefer more quite time then talking time in the day

Could you all tell me more about the personalities of Cornish Rexes?
post #13 of 23
Cornies are very people oriented and love to sit in your lap, and curl up under the covers at night. They are super smart and their paws are like fingers So they can learn how to open things that other cats may not be able to do.

I forgot about the 6 month quarentine. You won't get a kitten under 4 months old - rexes are a little slow in wanting to leave (physically/mentally) and most breeders won't adopt them out before 4 months (none of mine left before 4 months old).

I'm thinking a young adult (8 months - 2 yrs old) might handle the quarentine better then a small kitten. You might look into asking the breeder for a retired show/breeding cat with the personality you want.
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
Well I'm hoping this breeder would be willing to keep the cat and prepare it for the 5-day-or-less quarantine instead of the 130 day or so quarantine where they get no socialization at all, I just wouldnt want to do that to a cat. I would consider getting a retired show or breeding cat, especially if they let me show it over in Hawaii (I love showing! I just need a cat that loves to show too) if it had the personality I want. It takes even shorter a time to prepare an older cat (who already has had a couple rabies shots in its life) for the 5-day-or-less program. In fact now that I think about it, I would prefer a retired breeding/show cat if it had the personality I want.

Would a Cornie be ok with being in the house alone all day while I'm at work? Well technically not alone because my cat Lily is there too, I might even have another Siamese by then too (it all depends on money and timing).
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylilykitty View Post
cat will be older since, even if I get a kitten it will be 9 months by the time it's prepared to get into the immediate release quarantine in Hawaii
Often Hawaiians get cats from Australia or New Zealand, it either a shorter quarantine or none at all (I'd have to look up which). I think it's because we are rabies free countries.

My Farley's brother lives in Hawaii.
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
That is a really good idea. I never thought of that. But, I don't know of any breeders over there and I looked on the breed list website and nothing there either.
post #17 of 23
As long as the rex had company, he/she should be fine.

I know there are more Devon rex breeders in Australia then the Cornish.
post #18 of 23
The one thing Radar my crossbreed missed out on with the Cornish Rex personality is the cuddliness - he can be affectionate, but only occasionally when he's in the mood although when he is in the mood he's very insistent. He must have got his emotional independence from his moggy half!

He's like Cornies in other respects though, intelligent but really no common sense at all - vet visits have been for things like sticking his face in a hot cup of tea and getting steam in his eyes, and I've caught him fishing with his paw in the toaster slots, and posting cat toys into the VCR slot, we learned early on to turn everything off at the switch when it wasn't in use! He's very active and naughty and excitable, and he can open cupboards and work things out really quickly. He is a real joy to have around as he is so entertaining He really loves to climb and knock things to the floor, the expression of innocent excitement and wonder when he does things like that is just so sweet and lovable, and he likes to get on top of cupboards and run along the tops of doors

It's a shame your Siamese doesn't like to be petted, I have 2 Oriental boys and they are glued to me constantly, if I don't sit down and provide a lap quick enough they will just climb on me, and most of the time I feel as if I'm a giant cat bed for them, I have to push them off (and listen to them grumbling at me!) if I have to get up to go to the bathroom! In all honesty it can be a bit too much sometimes, I wake up with them on my head, and when I go to the toilet they sit outside singing for me to come out! Having lap cats is great in one sense, but also you can't do anything without them following you and protesting! I wouldn't change it for the world though
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Cool, they sound like nice cats. I just want to make sure of some things. Cornish Rexes, are they talkative cats? That is my major problem that I dont want in a cat. My sisters Siamese walks around the house yowling for no apparent reason. She meows insistently for food (we have worked on this, she is much better now). All throughout the day she meows off and on, I don't want a cat like that. Lily, I don't think we have ever gone a day without her talking but she's different. Lily makes funny noises when she is playing with a toy. She meows if you talk to her, I guess you could say she is like a "normal" cat when it comes to talking while Tanzie is more like a Siamese. Hmmm, did I just answer my own question

So some Cornish Rexes are like Lily and some are like Tanzie? I will just have to be careful in finding one?
post #20 of 23
I think it really all depends on each individual cat rather than a breed per se.

Our Siamese (and past Siamese that I've had) are and were super affectionate. Bijou and Mika are not talkers. Mika actually has very little voice (birth defect) and Bijou only talks when he wants our direct attention and then quickly quiets. My female Susie was not a talker either so it all comes down to each individual cat.

Bijou is the opposite of your Lily. He loves to be kissed and hugged and will purr if you just look at him, but he doesn't like me to pick him up. He's OK with my hubby picking him up and holding him but because he's so heavy I think he just doesn't trust me to hold his weight. He's quite happy jumping into my lap or on my chest while I'm sitting or laying down and only ever sleeps cuddled up to me though so I'm not complaining.
post #21 of 23
Write down that question when you talk to breeders (talkative). They will know which kittens are quiet and which are mouthy. Whatever they do as kittens, they do as adults
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone. I guess I'm learning through my dog breed and cat breed searching that I have to be careful what I pick. Individual animals can differ in personalities even within their breed.
post #23 of 23

Hey, my names Amanda! I actually own a Cornish Rex, her name is Cleopatra, she is very affectionate and will rub on you and lay in your lap and she will get under the covers and curl up beside you like a little weasel lol. she is very sweet. I'm not sure if all of them are like that though, I'm guessing it depends on the personality of the Cornish Rex just like a regular house cat. some are sweet and innocent, others are mischievous and down right evil!  bigeyes.gifCleopatra

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Cornish Rex and Siamese Cats