Baby Geckos

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My other love besides my furry pets is my crested geckos, and when I got these stellar pics, I couldn't help but share!! I had a baby hatch early this morning, and since all my past hatchlings have arrived within 24 hours of their older sibling, I've been obsessively checking the egg box, and my OCD behavior finally paid off!! Its incredible how fast these guys hatch. From slitting the egg to walking around took a total of about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!!

I saw the egg slit, but by the time I grabbed my camera, the nose was already peeking out.

A little bit further!

Taking its first breaths...

Getting a foot up, ready to take its first steps...

And with a wiggle and a squeak, she's up and running!

And here's some pics of the killer hatchling from this morning, from different clutch laid the same day.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, that is SOOOO cool! My brother used to have a fat tailed gecko named Gretchen. She was so sweet, and she really liked to be held. (in the dark of course) Her tounge was round and pink like a humans! He had her from age six up until he was 20 or so. One day he went to check on her and she had passed away. He cried for a long time. Actually, the whole family cried. She really was a member of the family.It's taken him seven years to get over it. Just yesterday he told me that he thinks that he's ready to give his love to another lizard. He's researching what kind he would like right now. He wants something very hardy, and easy to care for. He wants to teach his little boy about the responsibility of having a reptile to care for and love. Very cool photos, thanks for sharing......I'm going to show your pictures to my brother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

Oh my gosh, that is SOOOO cool! My brother used to have a fat tailed gecko named Gretchen. She was so sweet, and she really liked to be held. (in the dark of course) Her tounge was round and pink like a humans! He had her from age six up until he was 20 or so. One day he went to check on her and she had passed away. He cried for a long time. Actually, the whole family cried. She really was a member of the family.It's taken him seven years to get over it. Just yesterday he told me that he thinks that he's ready to give his love to another lizard. He's researching what kind he would like right now. He wants something very hardy, and easy to care for. He wants to teach his little boy about the responsibility of having a reptile to care for and love. Very cool photos, thanks for sharing......I'm going to show your pictures to my brother.
Definitely look into the crested geckos. They're incredibly easy to care for, come in lots of colors, don't require heat or light, they're hardy and easy to handle, almost as soft as a fat-tail, live into their 20s, and best of all, they don't need crickets!

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

Definitely look into the crested geckos. They're incredibly easy to care for, come in lots of colors, don't require heat or light, they're hardy and easy to handle, almost as soft as a fat-tail, live into their 20s, and best of all, they don't need crickets!
I'll tell him when I see him tomorrow. I'll bet he will like the fact that they can live for a long time with the proper care. And I bet his wife will like to hear that they are soft like Gretchen.
Boy, he's going to have to do alot of reading and studying! Luckily one of his good friends is REALLY into reptiles, so he has someone to get advice from. And it's not like Latigo (my brother's strange name) hasn't had reptiles before, he also had dumpy tree frogs for awhile. What do crested geckos eat?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice pictures.

Babies do need insects due to protein need, but can have more crested gecko diet and baby food(fruit, no sugar or additives) mixed into their diet until they old enough that they only need insects as occasional treats.

I've wanted to get some but due to not having a space cool enough to keep them at this time I can't - other geckos heating adds to the room temp they're in. Well that and I have enough geckos right now.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Babies do need insects due to protein need, but can have more crested gecko diet and baby food(fruit, no sugar or additives) mixed into their diet until they old enough that they only need insects as occasional treats.
I raise mine on crested gecko diet alone and get excellent growth and reproductive rates. I avoid a baby food and cricket diet, and tell anyone who purchases from me to do the same. I only feed crickets to juveniles that I'm trying to put weight on for sale and to the adults as treats when I'm in the mood for some entertainment.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing how God stuffs that little thing in an egg
Great pics. Animals hatching from eggs really amazes me every time because its hard to imagine the creature all curled up inside the egg....like chickens or other birds

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on your new adorable babies.

Great pictures
:clap

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I had one more hatch today, and got three new eggs too!! Its been a good gecko weekend for me!