Twig is sick :(

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got up to get ready for work and I noticed Twig was missing from the clan of cats when I was getting ready to feed them. So I found him in the livingroom just laying on the floor, so I called to him and when he didn't come, I went to give him the food thinking when he gets a taste, he'll come to the kitchen. Nope he didn't move. Didn't want anything to do with the food for the first time in a long time. I haven't changed brands and it's something he usually eats. I just thought well maybe he's being picky or something, so I left him alone. Well he still hadn't moved when I was almost ready to go, so I picked him up and he squeaked, something he never does, and I got concerned.
FF to when I get home, he's still on the floor in the livingroom, Dh asks me if he's still there and how he's acting mopey not like his usual self when dh gets home, I told him yes he's still on the floor laying there. I am getting more concerned now, and while I am talking to dh Twig comes in to go potty. I (gross I know) watch and come to find out that he's what seems like not pottying. So I give him some pumpkin. Unfortunately, it's not that he's not pottying, it's the reverse, he's dripping when he potties. He has the scooters.
Poor thing. And mommy gave him pumpkin, how mean. He ends up throwing that up and is now in the bedroom, sleeping. Is a vets visit in order do you think? Or do you think he just has an upset tummy from something? I gave him some fish that Dh and I had last night, but I gave it to the other cats also and none of them have this problem.
I am thinking that I should take him to the emergency vet in Bettendorf but I really don't want to stress him anymore and cause him to be sicker if I don't have to. Can anyone help?

cabelle1863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with getting Twig into the ER vet as soon as you can. I'll be sending lots of positive vibes that Twig is better very soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update::

I took him to the vets last night, after I read your posts and talked with the vet,
so a 45 minute trip he took.
They didn't find anything blocking either side, nothing in his intestines, just some air which he told me could be a little Colitis. He gave me a paper on Gastronethis ( I am not sure how to spell it and the paper is in the kitchen) and what I can do to see if it would help. I was to take all food and water away for the night. Then at 8 this am, I was to give him water and see how his potties were, ( but he didn't potty at all the box is clean) Oh yeah I had to keep him away from the other cats to check that he is pottying. So well, here it is 8 am and I am off to go back to bed with him.
I'm just glad I went. The doctor there is everything I wish the doctors here were. He was helpful, told me everything, gave me information on what he did, talked to me about his xrays, basically everything the vets here don't do. To bad he's just en emergency vet, I might have considered taking my cats to him all the time, even though he's so far away.

Thank you all for the vibes for Twig. We both appreciated them alot!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most emergency vet clinics are staffed by a group of vets who own it and take turns staffing it at "off times." You might have asked him if he has a practice somewhere, or you might check his name online and see if you find a regular office.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have several ER vet clinics nearby (the advantage of living in the large metroplex). This is all they do, but you can use them as your regualr vet - just costs more. The hours are better for some working people and worth the extra cost.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update:
We had to take him back tonight. He wasn't eating much, still lethargic,and hadn't pottied yet so off we went.
They sedated him (he bit a vet tech again
) did xrays, did a rectal exam, and got him to express his bladder. They found some crystals in his urine, but said to watch him for a couple of days and if he doesn't pick up eating, or stops again, and then stops drinking to contact our regular vet.
I was bawling and trying to figure out what I had done wrong to make him sick like he is. The poor cat. He's not feeling well at all, but when they brought him out, he was like himself again, he even ate some turkey from my sandwich from the gas station. (probably not good for the scooters, but I was more elated that he was just eating anything) And was crawling around on both of us on the trip home ( a no no I know, but I was worried and upset about him, not a good reason, I know, can't blame me, I'm a worried mommy.)

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, best wishes that Twig starts feeling better and stops scaring his meowmy. Secondly, if your ER vet doesn't fax over their records automatically to your vet, ask them if they would do so ASAP. I once took my boy to the ER vet since I thought he wasn't using the box - turns out that if you have a regular vet, they'll fax over their exam data to the regular vet the next morning. Then at least everyone's on the same page.

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the vet do anything for the crystals in his urine ? my Sox had them he was in the vets a couple of days and when i brought him home the vet told us to feed him on lots of tuna as he hated the food the vet gave us , i dont want to scare you but im always concerned with cats when they get crystals as Sox's daddy was found laying down in pain my friend rushed him to the vet but it was too late his bladder burst as he couldnt pee . please get him back to the vet if you see he is straining to pee and only droplets are coming out in the next day or 2 , sending lots of for Twix and
for worried mummy

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Twig... I hope he's doing better today. As far as giving him turkey from your sandwhich, go for it! At this point, anything you can get him to eat is better then nothing! Maybe try giving him some chicken baby food with a bit of pumpkin mixed in with it. Are you taking him to your regular vet today? Anyway, sending Twig and hoping to hear a positive update!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twig update:
He peed yesterday and today. Dh said he got home checked on Twig and saw the he still hadn't peed in the box and was about to call the vet when Twig sauntered into the computer room and right into the litter box and peed like there was no tomorrow.
He peed again today, and though we haven't seen him poop, I'm sure he's had to at some point in the last two days since he's been eating like a starving animal. I think he's on the road to recovery but we are still watching him intently, making sure he's ok and that everything's coming out like it should be. They were going to catherize Twig and clean out his bladder yesterday if they couldn't get him to pee. They said it'd clean out the crystals in his bladder. But since he's peeing ok, we'll just watch and make sure he's ok.

Thank you for all your vibes and Twig says thank you for helping him get better.

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im so happy twig has peed for you

its such a relief when you see big pee in the cat litter im obsessed at the moment with checking and could dance when i see big pee

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job, Twig!!

Yes, nothing like the feeling of relief when they start eating/peeing/pooing ok again. Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised the vet didn't prescribe any antibiotics for Twig if he suspected a UTI.
That's usually SOP - especially if they find crystals in the urine..

Anyway, I'm glad that he's doing better, and is on the road to recovery.

FYI, anytime you notice your cat not being able to go pee or pooh, it's generally a good idea to get them to the vet ASAP.
UTI's can be fatal if not treated right away..

More get well vibes for Twig!

~KK~