My Cat is Bullying My BFs Cat

posh7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently moved in with my BF and we each have an adult cat. Mine is a female and his is male, both are fixed. My female cat is constantly bullying the the male cat.

She does not let him out of her sight. She will sit in door ways and stare him down. Whenever he tries to walk past her, she hissed and swats at him. Many times just out of the blue she will chase him and swat at him when he is just minding his business. We have tried to stop them and scruff her gently while saying "NO!".

We have purchased the pheromone plugins, but none of this is working. She is still behaving very hostile towards the male cat.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem, but I'm not getting replies either. Does the male cat ever go after her? Or is he at all interested in being around her? That's where I'm having trouble. My female is bullying my bf's older females - to the point where they're afraid to go potty. We're doing this separation and reintroduction thing, but it's not really working because his cats don't have any interest in being where she is. They don't want to fight her and they don't want to deal with her... and if I put them together she just harasses them.
The Cats International site has some good info, it's just not working for me.

Gina

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posh7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The male cat does not go after female, I think that he is scared of her. He does show interest in her whereabouts. He will go and seek her out if she has been out of his eye sight for while.

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again - this might help. LINK

I just wish Eric's cats wanted to be sociable... I know they'll never be all snuggly together, but it's always nice to coexist without fighting!

Best wishes,

Gina

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ginamarina

I have a similar problem, but I'm not getting replies either. Does the male cat ever go after her? Or is he at all interested in being around her? That's where I'm having trouble. My female is bullying my bf's older females - to the point where they're afraid to go potty. We're doing this separation and reintroduction thing, but it's not really working because his cats don't have any interest in being where she is. They don't want to fight her and they don't want to deal with her... and if I put them together she just harasses them.
The Cats International site has some good info, it's just not working for me.

Gina
If it is to the point where they are afraid to go to the bathroom you should have litterboxes in multiple places around your home. Provide lots of hiding spaces and do the full reintroduction if necessary. This goes for both of you guys, cats are very territorial and need to determine who is alpha. You need to let them do this to ever have peace in the house. Completely separate them for a week or so and then just start opening doors and letting them find each other. NEVER bring them to each other and NEVER carry one into the room above another. This goes for ANY cat introductions.

ginamarina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you recommending switching their areas or leaving them in the same place during the separation? I have litterboxes all over, but they were afraid to jump off the bed or the sofa to go potty.

Hopefully Posh's kitties will be curious enough to *want* to be reintroduced! I'll keep an eye on your thread, but I'm not gonna hijack it with my stuff

Gina

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Posh7

I have recently moved in with my BF and we each have an adult cat. Mine is a female and his is male, both are fixed. My female cat is constantly bullying the the male cat.

She does not let him out of her sight. She will sit in door ways and stare him down. Whenever he tries to walk past her, she hissed and swats at him. Many times just out of the blue she will chase him and swat at him when he is just minding his business. We have tried to stop them and scruff her gently while saying "NO!".

We have purchased the pheromone plugins, but none of this is working. She is still behaving very hostile towards the male cat.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Did you introduce them slowly? If not, you could try reintroducing them but they each already know the other is there now. When introducing cats, the new comer to the home should be put in a separate room. Give the new comer a towel or blanket or any fabric that the original cats have laid and rolled on. Let the new comer smell, lay and roll on the blanket for a day or two and then take the blanket out and give it back to the original occupants of the household for awhile. Let them mingle and spend limited amount of time together after this and then separate them again. There are threads in this forum where people have explained it much better (not my area of expertise) and you may want to search those out. Another thing you can do is put vanilla extract behind the ears and base of tail of each cat so they all smell similar to each other. Cats are territorial and fairly driven by scent. So it's not the best idea just to throw a new comer in with a cat (or cats) that was already native to the home.