Favorite Easter Treats.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the chocolate bunnies -- the hollow kind -- something about the chocolate tastes different to me than the solid chocolate.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
chocolate peanut butter filled eggs.

My family's recipe for Casata - a rich ricotta cake with a sweet crust, lemon and orange zest, chocolate and citron in the dense filling. Yummy.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cadbury's Creme Eggs - but I haven't seen them for years! Probably a good thing too, otherwise I wouldn't have seen my feet either

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reese's peanut butter eggs. And I've been so bad getting a couple every time I go to the store.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

My family's recipe for Casata - a rich ricotta cake with a sweet crust, lemon and orange zest, chocolate and citron in the dense filling. Yummy.
Oh gosh....that sounds so yummy!!! Wanna share a recipe???

My favorite Easter candy is Dove Truffel Eggs...I'm glad they're only available at Easter. I'd be as big as a barn if they were available all year long!

Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Cadbury mini eggs, hands down.
Cadbury mini eggs....my next favorite. Thank goodness they're only available at Easter, too!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Reese's peanut butter eggs. And I've been so bad getting a couple every time I go to the store.

and jellybeans!!! This is the only time of year the put out Sweettart jellybeans

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Oh gosh....that sounds so yummy!!! Wanna share a recipe???

My favorite Easter candy is Dove Truffel Eggs...I'm glad they're only available at Easter. I'd be as big as a barn if they were available all year long!

Cadbury mini eggs....my next favorite. Thank goodness they're only available at Easter, too!!!
Here you go - this is a simpler version than some others, but it is authentic, unlike a bazillion "ew!" recipes I just found when doing a recipe search via google (to compare to my gram's recipe). Casata is NOT to be made with ice cream, nor does it use a "cannoli" filling, it is not a "cannoli" cake. Call me a food snob, but I like real family recipes with no shortcuts.
Casata - my grandmother Anna's recipe, who was from Bagheria, Sicily
Crust:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening (I now use Crisco, it's the only way I get a pliable crust as one needs)
2 cups flour (about...I'd say add a bit more, I ran short of dough once, and think 1/4 cup more would have done the trick)

Filling:
2 cups sugar
2 lbs. whole milk ricotta
10 eggs, separated
1/2 bar baking chocolate - I think my gram used unsweetened, I have also tried semisweet.**I've tried shaving the chocolate and using very small chunks - need to check with my aunt as to how my gram did it.
1 lemon - the grated rind only
1 orange - the grated rind only
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can citron & fruit peels (I use 4 oz. of citron - as we don't like citron, if you do, I'd use the entire 8 oz. container, I just skip adding any candied fruit peels. The only thing I recall is that the can she used was an 8 oz., so if you like citron and fruit peels and can find them separately, combine for 8 oz. worth)

Make crust. Adjust the flour so you can roll out the dough and handle it easily. Line greased sponge/angel food cake tin -***my gram would use a 10 inch angel food cake tin. I find it hard to get the dough lined up well, so have switched to using a large, springform cheesecake pan, but this does leave you with a filling that as it cooks rises several inches above the edge. It settles down as it cools but you just have to then handle it carefully!

Make filling by first beating egg yolks until thick. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT egg whites. In a separate dish, beat egg whites until stiff. Carefully fold the egg whites into the filling mixture. Pour into cake tin that is lined with the dough.

Bake at 275 degree oven for 2 hours or until inserted tooth pick comes out dry. I let this cool on a baking rack for 20 minutes or more, then release the springform sides, and cool some more. I just store it on the springform pan base rather than try to get it off there in one piece!
Traditionally served at Easter. Makes a very large cake. I do store this in the refrigerator, and I like it best well chilled.

ps unlike some other authentic recipes, my family never did any kind of a whipped cream or other frosting.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the home made easter eggs my buys for us every year
This year we got peanutbutter, cream cheese and coconut

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom always made a Portugese Sweet Bread every Easter, and I can't find her recipe for it
But it was braided and brushed with butter. It was SOOO good!

As for candy, I love the malted milk eggs, and white chocolate bunnies.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

and creme eggs. I can't be trusted with the mini eggs though; I'll be sitting here at my computer with a bag and find I've eaten half (or more!)!
That's why I refuse to buy the big bags.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Here you go - this is a simpler version than some others, but it is authentic, unlike a bazillion "ew!" recipes I just found when doing a recipe search via google (to compare to my gram's recipe). Casata is NOT to be made with ice cream, nor does it use a "cannoli" filling, it is not a "cannoli" cake. Call me a food snob, but I like real family recipes with no shortcuts.
Casata - my grandmother Anna's recipe, who was from Bagheria, Sicily
Crust:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening (I now use Crisco, it's the only way I get a pliable crust as one needs)
2 cups flour (about...I'd say add a bit more, I ran short of dough once, and think 1/4 cup more would have done the trick)

Filling:
2 cups sugar
2 lbs. whole milk ricotta
10 eggs, separated
1/2 bar baking chocolate - I think my gram used unsweetened, I have also tried semisweet.**I've tried shaving the chocolate and using very small chunks - need to check with my aunt as to how my gram did it.
1 lemon - the grated rind only
1 orange - the grated rind only
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can citron & fruit peels (I use 4 oz. of citron - as we don't like citron, if you do, I'd use the entire 8 oz. container, I just skip adding any candied fruit peels. The only thing I recall is that the can she used was an 8 oz., so if you like citron and fruit peels and can find them separately, combine for 8 oz. worth)

Make crust. Adjust the flour so you can roll out the dough and handle it easily. Line greased sponge/angel food cake tin -***my gram would use a 10 inch angel food cake tin. I find it hard to get the dough lined up well, so have switched to using a large, springform cheesecake pan, but this does leave you with a filling that as it cooks rises several inches above the edge. It settles down as it cools but you just have to then handle it carefully!

Make filling by first beating egg yolks until thick. Add all other ingredients EXCEPT egg whites. In a separate dish, beat egg whites until stiff. Carefully fold the egg whites into the filling mixture. Pour into cake tin that is lined with the dough.

Bake at 275 degree oven for 2 hours or until inserted tooth pick comes out dry. I let this cool on a baking rack for 20 minutes or more, then release the springform sides, and cool some more. I just store it on the springform pan base rather than try to get it off there in one piece!
Traditionally served at Easter. Makes a very large cake. I do store this in the refrigerator, and I like it best well chilled.

ps unlike some other authentic recipes, my family never did any kind of a whipped cream or other frosting.
Ohmygosh...this sounds absolutely heavenly! I think I'd have better luck with my Springform pan, as I'm having difficulty envisioning putting a dough in an angel food cake pan!
I think I'll try it with less citron, as I'm not all that fond of the flavor. I need to print this up to take with me on my next grocery shopping trip!
Thanks!!!