I thought cats were "nocternal"?

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always grew up thinking that cats are notucrnal...but my kitties who are only 14 weeks play most of the day and sleep all night.

Shouldn't they be sleeping in the day and playing/hunting at night???

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are naturally nocturnal but I think living with humans usually reverses this since we play with them during the day and sleep at night ourselves. Or it may just be that your kittens are so young and still growing and need a lot of sleep, I'm not sure. You're fortunate right now but I'm willing to bet that you'll eventually find out how nocturnal they can be.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, most of our cats have reversed being awake during day and sleeping at night. Jazz, being the newest of the bunch, took about 4 months of living with us to switch to being awake in the day. All of our cats enjoy being around us. They move room to room with us so I think it just came naturally for them just like what tamgirl99 was saying.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine too! She has been trained to play and take short naps in the daytime and sleep like a baby at night. What a good girl!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 all sleep through the night, this is helped by a good play session before bed then they cuddle up in bed with me til morning.

They are absolutely crazy active during the day and don't sleep much at all then.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all sleep between 11 PM and around 6 Am - sometimes later. It is not difficult to train your cats to do this by getting them to follow the rhythms of the household.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought all my geckos were nocternal too!
They often wander their cages during the day, early evening, and early morning.
My cats don't have set times. All the time is possible nap time and that's currently what they're doing right now. DH and I are on an odd schedule compared to most people so our cats do get to be awake and active with us some at night.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Zane sleeps most of the day and most of the night. He pretty much only wakes up to eat or use his litter box.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are naturally diurnal-- which means they're most active at dusk and dawn, rather than at night. Prime hunting time.

But, most cats do develop a habit of sleeping while their people are asleep, although I do know Zissou gets up around dawn and goes and watches out the window and plays, then comes back to bed.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Cats are naturally diurnal-- which means they're most active at dusk and dawn, rather than at night. Prime hunting time.

But, most cats do develop a habit of sleeping while their people are asleep, although I do know Zissou gets up around dawn and goes and watches out the window and plays, then comes back to bed.
Bijou is a lot like Zissou - he gets up when hubby gets up (about 5:15 am), hubby feeds him and then after hubby leaves for work Bijou comes back to bed and cuddles down under the blankets with me. He'll actually often stay there after I get out of bed so I have to get out of bed carefully so as not to disturb him.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are awake all day and all night
At least that's what it feels like
Mosi still doesn't sleep much at night. Although I suppose 12.30 - 5am could be considered night by some

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou is a lot like Zissou - he gets up when hubby gets up (about 5:15 am), hubby feeds him and then after hubby leaves for work Bijou comes back to bed and cuddles down under the blankets with me. He'll actually often stay there after I get out of bed so I have to get out of bed carefully so as not to disturb him.
Yea, I know! Zissou has taken to sleeping smack in the middle of my bed, which is twin-size, and leaves me scrunched up on a quarter of the bed. Then when I wake up she acts mad that I dare disturb her!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Yea, I know! Zissou has taken to sleeping smack in the middle of my bed, which is twin-size, and leaves me scrunched up on a quarter of the bed. Then when I wake up she acts mad that I dare disturb her!
Sounds just like my Benson. He finally will sleep through the night but he wants hubby up at 4am for feeding. He then cuddles with me. It's too cute.
(except for the 1am water wake-up call)