Why, why....... why!? SERIOUS vent!!!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently here in Denmark there have been several cases of cruelty to animals - all of which make headline news and the articles always find their ways to our office at the shelter I work in. Two articles were on our desks a week ago that I can only now really let out the hurt
Please for give the typing, but I cry time and time again for these babies.

Two cases were reported at the same time - one of a cat who had had fireworks duct-taped to it's belly - fortunately it was found and rescued before the fireworks were lit, thank the Lord, but bless his little soul, he had to have all of this fur shaved around his middle to remove them

The second was a small kitten who had had his ears CUT OFF!!!
Some evil monster had caught this little dear and mutilated him horribly with a stanley knife or a pair of garden scizzors or something
When she heard the scream, a woman inside a nearby house rushed out and found him lying in the grass - she immeditealy rushed him to the vet, where he was patched up under a full anaesthetic. Now he is in a shelter and ready for a new home, and for some reason completely unbeknown to anyone, is still incredibly affectionate and very trusting of people.

The last case was of a cat who was reportedly buried alive. She was found in the woods - half buried - by a woman walking her dog, all wet and shivering and stone cold. Of course the woman brought her home and warmed her up, dried her off and gave her all the love and food that she could possibly need to make her feel a bit better. Unfortunately, the little girl couldn't walk - because she had fixed all the other problems that could cause that, the woman took her to a vet, where the cat was x-rayed. Someone had given her a severe blow to her back - with something like a shovel. She would never walk again and had no feeling in her back legs. She was given peace in God's arms.

I read these reports time and time again in our shelters, of animals - particularly cats - that have been cruelly tortured and left for dead and I wonder why? What could possibly drive someone to do something to evil? What on earth goes through their heads when they try to break the spirit and soul of a defenseless creature? And it amazes me even more that after such a terrible ordeal, they will still trust a human again. The have a forgiving nature that I don't think we as a species deserve. It breaks my heart every time and I die a little more inside each time I see it, but it makes me more determined to get things together and run my own shelter one day. I know what drives me and I know I can do it, and that I'll be doing it for the right reasons.

Why are people so abominable?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read the first half of your post and I had to stop; I find cruelty to animals so upsetting and disturbing.

If I ever caught someone being cruel to an animal I wouldn't be responsible for what I'd do to them.
It's just so horrible.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! Those poor babies

How can people be so darn cruel to such defenceless animals? I hate it!! Makes me angry to think people like that walk the streets everyday

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i read that, it made me feel like crying! it also made me very angry!
i think if someone get's caught doing that, then they should be tied down, & then have someone, do to them what they tried/did to the cat's! how there's people in the world that do those sort of thing's, is really beyond me!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I read the first half of your post and I had to stop; I find cruelty to animals so upsetting and disturbing.

If I ever caught someone being cruel to an animal I wouldn't be responsible for what I'd do to them.
It's just so horrible.
I feel the same way. If it were up to me, everyone who has ever been cruel to an animal would thrown in jail for a term no less than 2 consecutive life sentences, not including the time they would spend in the hospital after I was done with them. I have absolutely zero respect and zero sympathy for people who abuse animals.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I feel the same way. If it were up to me, everyone who has ever been cruel to an animal would thrown in jail for a term no less than 2 consecutive life sentences, not including the time they would spend in the hospital after I was done with them. I have absolutely zero respect and zero sympathy for people who abuse animals.
Jail won't teach them anything. The only way they will ever learn is to have done to them what was done to the animal. I think it's only fair after all. They deserve no less.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Jail won't teach them anything. The only way they will ever learn is to have done to them what was done to the animal. I think it's only fair after all. They deserve no less.
That's true but if we harm them to the extent that they harm animals, then we will go to jail, probably for a very long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what makes me so angry - people in Denmaark who are cruel to animals are pretty much given a smack on the wrist and told not to do it again. Unfortunately, the perpetrators in all three of these cases haven't been caught.
We don't really even have an animal police force - despite people campaigning for it. I'm hoping that the government and law enforcement start to sit up and listen to what people want. We can fight all we like, but it's no good when they're just turning a blind eye to it all.

hurdyburdy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are awful stories.. it always makes me wonder too when I read or hear something like that.

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people just think of animals as things who dont feel pain or are worthless vermin, so they do horrible stuff like this.

It's wrong in many ways, especially since we've been given the brains to supposedly know right from wrong.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that there has been no known serial killers who didn't show signs of this sort of problem by their early teens by mistreating animals.

Sick minds are sick, by definition. And our society doesn't help by regarding cats as "disposable pets."

lou1982

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's really really upsetting, it made me cry, if i could put a FULL STOP to cruelty to animals, i would in an instant, but i want to do my bit to help, and open my own animal rescue centre too. it's what i want to do with my life, animals are my passion.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I think cruelty to animals should be treated much more seriously, not just because of the animals (which is reason enough), but because it indicates an attitude toward all living things, including other people.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that there has been no known serial killers who didn't show signs of this sort of problem by their early teens by mistreating animals.

Sick minds are sick, by definition. And our society doesn't help by regarding cats as "disposable pets."
Yeah, but lots of people who do hurt animals don't end up being serial killers...

At least two of the cats made it out alive. Losing belly fur is not the end of the world, thankfully.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When an animal cruelty case came up in my stack of case files for an arraignment/first appearance docket in court, I couldn't do it. I had to hand all of them to my co-worker to read the police report into the record. The defendant was usually there too and just seeing them made me sick to my stomach.

Then there were the losers in jail for one felony charge or another and had listed their source of income (it's part of what the judge looks at to see if they are a flight risk) as "dog breeder." (We have SO SO many backyard pit bull breeders here).

There is not enough legislative action for animal cruelty (at least not in the U.S.)

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think people that hurt animals should be jailed i belive if they are horrible enough to hurt defencless animals they are capable of doing it to humans too , if i caught anyone hurting my animals i would hurt them so bad i wouldnt be able to control myself

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are especially defenseless, and for some reason, the society tends to become more outraged at the dog-abusers...Cats and women, we share so much in common

My only comfort is that once the cat is over RB, they are in a better place, and they go to be the beloved pets of those poor, poor babies & children who have also suffered such horrible fates, such as babies in microwaves, toddlers mauled to death by dog packs, physically abused to death. Surely Heaven has a special place for them!!
I think that it is up to us here on earth to fight for stronger legislation for harsher punishments for crimes on animals, and to make sure that cats have the same status as dogs. In some states, the same crime on a cat is on a lesser level than on a dog

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

When an animal cruelty case came up in my stack of case files for an arraignment/first appearance docket in court, I couldn't do it. I had to hand all of them to my co-worker to read the police report into the record. The defendant was usually there too and just seeing them made me sick to my stomach.

There is not enough legislative action for animal cruelty (at least not in the U.S.)

Sakura, when you see those cruelty cases, try to remind yourself that at least the cases mean that the alleged perpretrators have stopped, at least for now; that law enforcement did get involved. I know it's small comfort, but it's a sign that these crimes are finally getting the attention that they deserve