just removed bandage from docked tail can I do any thing for my cat

sandersrosetta@

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had an injury to his tail and I had to have a vet remove half of his tail. the surgery was four days ago and he seemed to be doing fine until I took his bandage off today. He is now extreemly restless. and I don't think he will let me redress it. the dressing was supposed to come off tomorrow any way. I am just concerned that he may be in pain.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen to my cat a year ago. Do you have pain meds you can give your kitty? I had to leave the band aide on my cat for 10 days and when it was removed it was pretty much healed. If your kitty is playful and purring maybe she is happy the dressing was removed.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the previous poster asked, is your kitty getting pain meds? He definitely should have been getting them for the last few days.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandersrosetta@

My cat had an injury to his tail and I had to have a vet remove half of his tail. the surgery was four days ago and he seemed to be doing fine until I took his bandage off today. He is now extreemly restless. and I don't think he will let me redress it. the dressing was supposed to come off tomorrow any way. I am just concerned that he may be in pain.
It might just be a phantom limb thing, kind've like when humans have something amputated. While his tail was bandaged, he might not have noticed that part of it was missing since it felt weird with the bandage on anyway, but now that it's gone he's probably noticing that something isn't right!

prettypusscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

It might just be a phantom limb thing, kind've like when humans have something amputated. While his tail was bandaged, he might not have noticed that part of it was missing since it felt weird with the bandage on anyway, but now that it's gone he's probably noticing that something isn't right!
My Sox had to have his front leg amputated years ago when i brought him home he was very restless i think some of it might be to do with the phantom limb , he did get used to not having his leg but till the day he died he still tried to use it EG :- to scratch the cat litter .
He got very upset if anybody used to come and visit and hid under the bed and wouldnt come out till they had gone when he first lost his leg , i would watch out for this sort of behaivour as well .
Im just waiting for Lucy to recover a bit more then im having her tail amputated keep us updated on his progress for him