Odd Eyed Calico?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have some new kitties at our shelter's storefront. One is a shy, five month old calico kitten named Caramel.

I had to do a double take when I saw her. She is an odd eyed cat! I don't think I have ever seen or heard of an odd-eyed cali before. One green, one blue.

Attached is a photo - not very good b/c it's my camera phone and she wouldn't come out of the cage.

Pretty cool. Looking at the image, the eye on the left is green, the one on the right is pale blue.

OK - genetics experts, how does this happen?

calicoprincess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not a genetics expert by any means but do you know if she is deaf on one side? I know I have read that many odd eyed cats are deaf in the side with the blue eye. Nemo isn't, but I believe that might be more common amoung non-white cats. I do know that my vet carefully checked him to make sure he wasn't deaf at all though. If she is, that also might help explain why she is shy too.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a genetics expert but I have seen odd-eyed calicos before. They were Japanese Bobtails, I think it's pretty common in that breed.

Here is one, who I WISH I could adopt:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Not a genetics expert but I have seen odd-eyed calicos before. They were Japanese Bobtails, I think it's pretty common in that breed.

Here is one, who I WISH I could adopt:

Oh my stars, what a beautiful cat!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another question about possible breed mixed in with a kitty. We also have a new orange tabby and white female. Thin wiry build, long tail... somewhat pointed head shape and wide-set large triangular shaped ears. I was thinking she has some oriental shorthair in her.

She is sooooooo shy and scared she just stays curled up in a ball, otherwise I would have taken her pic, too. She is very sweet... lots of head nudges and purring, but only in the comfort of her bed in the cage.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had an odd-eyed calico, she was up for adoption for 6 months. Also had an odd-eyed black & white boy, not sure how the genes come in for those.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hurdyburdy

She is beautiful. I think I must have seen that bobtail before in my searches about bobtail info. My favorite bobtail that I've come across is this one named Key (not odd eyed though. http://www.geocities.com/kurisumasu_jbt/imports.html
The one I posted is by far my favorite bobtail... She belongs to a breeder in my area, and I really really want to adopt her!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! The little calico let me pet her today!!! And yes, she is definitely odd-eyed!!

And the little orange and white kitty named CJ (looks like she has oriental in her) let me pull her out of her cage. She visited with me and my BF for quite a while and gave us nose-to-nose sweet kitty kisses!!!

We went in to see them and brush them out a bit.... sigh...