Tooth discoloration

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know if I have a problem or not (dont you wish cats could talk sometimes!!!).

My oldest cat is around 18 months now, and he's always been a super picky fussy eater, but the other day he seemed to be fussing over his food even more than normal. I looked at his mouth and teeth to make sure nothing was wrong - and he has 1 tooth at the back that looks discolored to me, and running my finger over it it feels rough.
He doesnt seem in any pain, but he has started drooling when he sleeps recently. The reason why Im not whipping him off to the vets is I feel like 18 months is young for dental trouble? Can teeth be discolored without being bad? If it is bad and needs pulling, how much is it likely to cost? Any experiences would be welcome!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How discolored is it? Just a bit yellowed? Roughness would suggest plaque/tarter build up. If darker, you could have your vet take a look. Do know that a dental cleaning will involve anesthesia.

If you want to avoid or prolong the time before your cat's visit for dental reason then get a decent cat tooth paste and start brushing his teeth or at least try to rub a little of the paste on his teeth.

I'm torn on whether dental treats work for cats. I've never seen a cat chew them enough or even at all for them to be of benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennywhite686

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tooth is too dark at the top and BRIGHT white at the bottom - whiter than his other teeth. Its weird, doesnt look inflamed or anything at least. Im going to try the toothpaste - I dont think much of dental treats, he swallows them all whole
Thanks for the input!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the C.E.T. dental treats--they are really large and I would guess that most cats have to chew them. That said, I would suggest a vet visit to have that tooth looked at. Cat, like kids, can have cavities (in cats they are called FORLs--Feline Odontoclastic Reabsorptive Lesions), and just like in humans, poor dental health can lead to more serious problems--bacteria can get into the blood and affect other organs like the heart, liver and kidneys.

http://www.dentalvet.com/patients/ca...ave_a_forl.htm
http://vmth.tamu.edu/hospservices/dentistry/FORL.shtml

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you've correctly identified discoloration and drooling as signs of a possible dental problem. The cat really needs to be seen by a vet.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd really suggest a vet visit - if there's something wrong, you're going to be kicking yourself as it gets worse and worse. My vet does an oral exam as part of our yearly check-up (my cats are five) - the whole visit is like $30, so I'd think a quick office visit to check his teeth won't be that expensive, and the vet can recommend best practices for oral health. At least your cat is young - my vet certainly recommended brushing, but we both admitted it was going to be an uphill battle (my kitties were adults when adopted).

I do use the oxyfresh liquid in their water and that may be helping - figured it can't hurt, and might help. Mine, of course, don't even want to taste cat toothpaste off my finger, let alone let me get close with my nice little brushes from PetSmart.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennywhite686

The tooth is too dark at the top and BRIGHT white at the bottom - whiter than his other teeth. Its weird, doesnt look inflamed or anything at least. Im going to try the toothpaste - I dont think much of dental treats, he swallows them all whole
Thanks for the input!
Since you said it's dark, then yes as the other's have said you need a vet to check it. Still wouldn't hurt to get the kitty tooth paste.

Have fun brushing. Your cat will hate it, struggle, and look at you like you're crazy - then promptly forget about the whole thing two minutes later.